What AV receiver

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bet you have the wrong crossover set for rear channels. That monster should be the tits in sound reproduction. CD's for manuals? WTF kind os horse-balls is that. Nothing better than having the paper to refer to in front of you like a map.

PS I envy you being able to feed your self, make a few bucks and have fun while doing it.

I bet you have the wrong crossover set for rear channels. That monster should be the tits in sound reproduction. CD's for manuals? WTF kind os horse-balls is that. Nothing better than having the paper to refer to in front of you like a map.

PS I envy you being able to feed your self, make a few bucks and have fun while doing it.

hey there leevitalone . I agree with you on me not having the settings dialed in. Looking forward to the time when it is. Yep no paper manuel. What I will end up doing is printing the dammm thing that will cost some ink . A side note one of the passengers on the fishing trip was Josh he is a a tech. for his Dad at Audio Workshop here in Bradenton. 32 years old and he stated that it was the most fish he ever caught and farthest out to sea. He did well on the boat for a novice. Go Fast Charters out of Tampa Bay hooked into a Great white shark 18 feet long 3.5 hour later they cut the line. Video to boot. I have never seen one in the Gulf of Mexico. Monster hammerheads at my boat and numerous sharks eating the fish before you can get it over the rail. While fishing over a wreak last year We had a feeding frenzy going and I bent over to release a 6 foot shark when a Giant Goliath (jew fish) grouper came up and snatched the shark We all said whoooa I said WTF He had me I did not have it .After 30 seconds or so the fish released the shark . It was still alive but definatly messed up I released the black tip shark and apoligized for calling the goliath a Jew fish . Thats okay the two guys said we are Jewish lawyers. True story.

Well I have The Denon 4520ci . I picked it up on March 15th. Been off shore fishing so it sat for a few days. . I have about 500 feet or more of speaker cable hooked up to various components. So I broke every thing down disconnected all 12 pair of speakers. Took most of Monday afternoon to get things rearranged. With that done I hooked the Denon reciever to the Klipsch RF7II and The converted Klipsch cornwalls for the rears along with the Cerwin Vega C-7 for rear. I miss having a paper manuel. The Cd manuel came with unit.. This is a big undertacking to get the reciever preforming to my sence of hearing. The next few days I will read the CD. So far I am disappointed on the sound coming from the rears . I was use to the Yamaha and the sound field of the Sansui QRXs. It is most likely I who needs to get it dialed in . So I am with holding judgement. I long for the simple days of yesteryear. I will post more later

Have you set the speaker levels properly? This can make a hue difference. Just use a dB level meter to get them all on the same level.

Well I woke up this morning determined on getting the 4520ci dialed in. Thank you all for the wise advice. After reading the manuel and properly adjusting the parameters in music mode this unit woke up !! Eureka !!!! Holy Hanna!!! My listning room is 50 feet X 30 feet and this power house of a reciever admirably fills the space with wonderfull sound. It is beautiful,gosh it is sooo good. Just blows away The restored Sansui QRX 999 and 9001 . The Yamaha avr I had is not in the same leauge. Man with all my speakers that I have the happy factor went to outer space. This unit rocks. Cocktail hour will never be the same. I will be demonstrating this fine AVR free of charge to all who stop by.

When listening to a stereo music source, try the matrix mode. Other than Marantz, which is the same piece, I'm not aware of another modern receiver that offers this surround synthesis mode. It's Quad all over again! For mono sources, use the multi-channel stereo mode, since there is nothing to synthesize.

Im on it Linda that was the eureka moment the matrix mode. The source is Sirius XM starmate. Thank you for putting me on this fine sound machine.
When listening to a stereo music source, try the matrix mode. Other than Marantz, which is the same piece, I'm not aware of another modern receiver that offers this surround synthesis mode. It's Quad all over again! For mono sources, use the multi-channel stereo mode, since there is nothing to synthesize.

I'm not a fan of hall effect surround modes. Even if they offer 150 of them, they all sound like crap, IMHO. Matrix is definitely the way to go.

I agree with you . The hall surround mode sounds like you are in a airplane hanger always did. Welll it was your recommendation on what AVR to buy even without a demo I bought it. I am pleased the Yamaha went by the wayside. With this unit utopia has entered this happy home. One more thing Linda you stated that you sold thousands of Denons you can add one more to your list:sun

Well I woke up this morning determined on getting the 4520ci dialed in. Thank you all for the wise advice. After reading the manuel and properly adjusting the parameters in music mode this unit woke up !! Eureka !!!! Holy Hanna!!! My listning room is 50 feet X 30 feet and this power house of a reciever admirably fills the space with wonderfull sound. It is beautiful,gosh it is sooo good. Just blows away The restored Sansui QRX 999 and 9001 . The Yamaha avr I had is not in the same leauge. Man with all my speakers that I have the happy factor went to outer space. This unit rocks. Cocktail hour will never be the same. I will be demonstrating this fine AVR free of charge to all who stop by.

I knew that bitch was good. As for yammaha, just look at the prices of comparable receivers, the yammys are way low, like sony, and now you know why. I would only go with (for comp.) Dennon, Integra, or Maratnz. In another time, it would be High end shit. But that is another life. Other amps have a mode refered to as (all channel stereo) mine is called 5 channel stereo, and that is how I listen to stereo scources. I had years ago a sony that did matrix, we had "axis bold as love" in one time and you would swear it was discrete MC. The guitar was going from one channel to the other, very clearly and distinctly. I know that all the substance in me affected it, but wow.

I knew that bitch was good. As for yammaha, just look at the prices of comparable receivers, the yammys are way low, like sony, and now you know why. I would only go with (for comp.) Dennon, Integra, or Maratnz. In another time, it would be High end shit. But that is another life. Other amps have a mode refered to as (all channel stereo) mine is called 5 channel stereo, and that is how I listen to stereo scources. I had years ago a sony that did matrix, we had "axis bold as love" in one time and you would swear it was discrete MC. The guitar was going from one channel to the other, very clearly and distinctly. I know that all the substance in me affected it, but wow.

this is the U.S equivalent of my Yamaha-haha receiver..

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/aventage/rx-a2020_black_u/

its not top of the range but at $1,699 (suggested retail) its not what anyone would call "dirt cheap"..

.. and having owned (and still owning) other AVR's by Sony, Yamaha and Denon, my newer Yammy is the best receiver of the lot by a country mile, its nicely built, easy to use, feature-laden and sounds wonderful.. with or without that nifty matrix function! :D

I'd still bet the $2.5k Denon/Marantz would totally kick my Yammy's ass, I'm not disputing that at all.. but to suggest all Yammy's are a load of cheap shit isn't fair :)

still, I wouldn't have a Sony AVR now for a gift.. but that's based on my absolutely horrendous experience with my old one - now that WAS a piece of shit..!!

I called Best buy this morning to tell them I will arrive in 2 hours for the Denon 4520ci demonstration it is on sale for 2399.00. The women said that will be fine. Sounds good to me so I stopped in . Holy Hanna ! The young salesman knew nothing about my so called demo. No problem I thought its just a demo. We go into the listning room and the lighting is poor can you please make it brighter I ask. Thats as bright as it gets was the young clerks reply. Do you have a flash light ? No said the clerk . You see this was his first day back from a 2mo. medical issue due to something called a brain tumer. ( John is on the road to recovery worked for best buy for 8 years) So here we go turn it on and there is only the zone remote for the unit He cannot find the main remote in the drawer . Only happened to be a dozen of various makes. The unit was hooked to Martin Logun electrostatic and a small B&W woofer. No rear hook up View attachment 9792 So we pulled it out of the cabnit and we could only pull it out so far for the cables are short. So far so good. I apoligized to John for the stores poor hook up and display, its his first day back. I talked to the store manager and nicely explained to him the situation ( We have the same first name Charlie.) A explained how the stores rigging crew should have this room properly equiped and how important it is to have your high end gear be properly show cased. I did not brow beat Charlie. I must say he came back with a tiny key light it had one led and I laughed at its poor illumination, we all did. Im helping John replace the bad cable going to the woofer from the Denon. Woofer would not work for some reason with a faulty cable. So now we have a left front a right front speaker and a woofer hooked up . The source of music was a Denon dvd player some female artist named Adele I think. That was the only disk they had. Im thinking to myself this is so inept. John did show me the menue on the huge tv screen ( the tv cost 999.00 a cheap model) I go look up the manager in another room and he is looking for the main remote in a drawer did you find it I ask in a hopefull voice no he said as Charlie closes the drawer . I open the drawer and find the remote still in its wrapper. At this point I give him my pitch I know your asking 2399.00 for it on sale how about a deal since I called 2 hours ahead for demo . He offered 2200.00 I countered with 2150.00 Bingo we had a deal . I never got a decent demo. I thanked every body for there cooperation wished John goodluck on his health . Paid for the unit and will be delivered to the store this Fri. They do not stock the high priced gear. With all of that behind me I can honestly say please bring back the good ole days I miss days of yesteryear View attachment 9793thats my story and Im sticking to it

Charlie:

Imagine if you had Quad Linda with you for the demo and imagine the conversation she would have had with the manager!

Justin

Well I have The Denon 4520ci . I picked it up on March 15th. Been off shore fishing so it sat for a few days. . I have about 500 feet or more of speaker cable hooked up to various components. So I broke every thing down disconnected all 12 pair of speakers. Took most of Monday afternoon to get things rearranged. With that done I hooked the Denon reciever to the Klipsch RF7II and The converted Klipsch cornwalls for the rears along with the Cerwin Vega C-7 for rear. I miss having a paper manuel. The Cd manuel came with unit.. This is a big undertacking to get the reciever preforming to my sence of hearing. The next few days I will read the CD. So far I am disappointed on the sound coming from the rears . I was use to the Yamaha and the sound field of the Sansui QRXs. It is most likely I who needs to get it dialed in . So I am with holding judgement. I long for the simple days of yesteryear. I will post more later

Anymore you almost have to be a computer programmer to properly setup a modern receiver.

Justin

Anymore you almost have to be a computer programmer to properly setup a modern receiver.

Justin

very true Justin, even though they cram in a host of incredible features for the money, for me they are still needlessly complex! I bet a fair number of people don't even have their AVR'S properly setup they're just so feature-laden and arduous to get right setting up, how could they be expected to..!?

..though at the risk of sounding like a Yammy fanboy (I'm really not, the Yammy blu-ray player I got was an absolutely dreadful piece of junk and had to go back after 5 minutes!) their AVR's aren't too bad in regards to setup.

they still do some illogical/unneccesarily dumb things.. but compared to the clunky, horrible, ugly menu'd and slooooow operating system & setup on my Denon AVR, its a breeze and the GUI on new Yammy's is particularly nice also.

Anyone have an opinion about this?

http://www.sherbourn.com

I know nothing about them.

For a long time you could not buy this equipment, unless you had it installed by a pro. They have opened up the "store" to the consumer. They make very good high quality stuff. The one unit for $800.00 @ 80 watts will sound as though it was 100. Classy amps and power supplies make them really nice. And, you can't beat the price, for "high end" stuff.

Last edited:
Well the Denon played very well last night its a safe bet I will keep it. I was thinking since the music room is all tore apart why not make some designe changes. Being that the Denon is a black box looking thingie why not mix new with the old.This is a picture of my mom on her birhday 1940. She died when I was 9 mo old Dec 7th 1953. Notice the Philco radio model 1937 10-x behind mom. 193.jpg Now to the this century I just purchased a 1937 Philco 3 band radio completely rebuilt by Ron Potter out of Tipp city Ohio. He rebuilds and sells antique radios in fact he has a Zenith Stratasphere valued at 100 THOSAND DOLLARS!! (his private collection. ) Potter_Philco_650_(1937).jpg here is what I bought not the exact model of my Moms but very close a 1937 Philco model 650. Cost of unit in 1937 115.00 dollars Arriving on a greyhound bus to Fl. Total cost with shipping 835.00 dollars. It is that Refurbished Philco the Denon will rest on. Now the Denon will have style indeed. Just like Mom Now I need 3 more of them for Quad

very true Justin, even though they cram in a host of incredible features for the money, for me they are still needlessly complex! I bet a fair number of people don't even have their AVR'S properly setup they're just so feature-laden and arduous to get right setting up, how could they be expected to..!?

..though at the risk of sounding like a Yammy fanboy (I'm really not, the Yammy blu-ray player I got was an absolutely dreadful piece of junk and had to go back after 5 minutes!) their AVR's aren't too bad in regards to setup.

they still do some illogical/unneccesarily dumb things.. but compared to the clunky, horrible, ugly menu'd and slooooow operating system & setup on my Denon AVR, its a breeze and the GUI on new Yammy's is particularly nice also.

When I decided to upgrade to Blu-Ray and a Hi Rez satellite TV receiver I discovered I needed to upgrade my INTEGRA receiver as it only had one 1.1 HDMI input. I got the new INTEGRA receiver home and tried to weed my way through the telephone book size owner's manual before deciding to have the dealer come to my house and set the beast up for me. (My dealer is in the home custom installation business and has some sharp installers on staff.) What I found most frustrating was that just plugging a CD player into the CD player inputs did not do anything output wise until you "associated" the input with the output. WTF?! Even then the lead installer had to get on the phone with the INTERGA service department when he could not get the discrete analogue inputs to play my QSD-1. This was a long telephone call. The fix lay somewhere in a obscure deep sub - sub menu. The receiver also has that automatic room EQ function which is pretty slick. Once everything was setup and functioning correctly the sound was awesome! This IS the best my system has ever sounded. All I can say though is GOD help me if I lose or the dog eats the remote.

Justin

P.S. I also have an installer come to the house once a year to update the "firmware" on not only the receiver but also the Blu-Ray player and TV. (I am not exactly sure what firmware is but when explained to me I get the impression it falls somewhere between hardware and software, but I could be wrong.) Since the 1970's I have always considered myself in the big leagues when it came to setting up, tweaking and maintaining audio-video equipment, but anymore a lot of this stuff is getting beyond my ability and desire to do.

Last edited:
Back