What is the best Q8 Player?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surroundme33

I have recently acquired a Juliette Quad 8-track player. I finally get to digitize my Q8 tapes in one pass - instead of doing fronts then rears.. Exciting for me. However, I'm a bit surprised that the frequency response of this unit is only 50-10,000khz.. Sounds like quad through a tin can.

I was wondering what was the best sounding Quad 8-track deck made? I'm not expecting the frequency response of an open reel deck at 7ips.. or vinyl.. I know there are decks out there that can supersede this frequency response. I also own the Pioneer H-R100 playback and record deck - however it's STEREO only. This machine sounds great (for 8-track).

Here's some pics of my 'tin box' sounding quad player.

Attachments

• back_Specs.jpg
    back_Specs.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 241
  • Front_a.jpg
    Front_a.jpg
    227.2 KB · Views: 248
I liked the Wollensak brand. Had one for awhile. Returned it to Pacific Stereo with the idea I was going to buy a different model but never did. Maybe because quad got killed off in the meantime.

Narcopolo, you brought back a lot of memories for me! I used 3M Wollensak portable RTR decks a lot when I was first starting in radio news. They were the smallest reliable portable reel decks you could buy for a long time (discounting the cheapie Craigs that would only take 3" reels). Those things were nearly indestructible!

I also flashed back on the Pacific Stereo radio jingles :) Good times...

The Hk, a Sony, and a JVC use the same guts, and seem to be the best units. They have a large, serious flywheel on top driven with a 1/4 inch belt. Provides good stability. I think there is a past thread about these. Beware of the 2 big time recorders panasonic and akai, they do have issues.

Sounds like quad through a tin can.

At that frequency range, I would expect Quad under a pillow. QUADTRADE says to avoid Panasonic and Akai. If you've ever been on eBay, Akai's are like gold. So, I'm curious what issues he's writing about.

Personally, I have a Panasonic which is a full Quad player/recorder (RS-858) with a range of 30-12,000 Hz. I find that putting the signal through an equalizer does help. I have an old JVC receiver that has a 7-band Graphic with a few EQ presets that actually improves the overall sound. I like the "CLEAR" setting. It does help to brighten the sound by taking some of the muddiness out; technically speaking ;-)

OT but related

I worked at Pacific Stereo in 1985-86 in San Diego. A prog band I was in TN in the 70's recorded on a Wollensak in the garage; I dubbed us The Kasnellows!

At that frequency range, I would expect Quad under a pillow. QUADTRADE says to avoid Panasonic and Akai. If you've ever been on eBay, Akai's are like gold. So, I'm curious what issues he's writing about.

Personally, I have a Panasonic which is a full Quad player/recorder (RS-858) with a range of 30-12,000 Hz...

My Pioneer H-R100 has really nice frequency response (well for 8-track at least).. I wish that unit was a quad player. When i digitize music from that player and run full EQ (Adobe Audition), you can mistake it for an open reel 7ips - it really does sound that good. BTW.. Those Panasonic RS-858 are also 'gold' on e-bay. I have been searching them, and been outbid many times. Last one went for over $250.. A bit high for an 8track player, no?

Those Panasonic RS-858 are also 'gold' on e-bay. I have been searching them, and been outbid many times. Last one went for over $250.. A bit high for an 8track player, no?

When you consider the condition that some of these Q8 players are in, anything over $100.00 I think is high. That stated, I spent $125.00 for the Panasonic, not on eBay but actually from someone on this site (he kicked in an SQ processer for just the shipping). Even then, I had to send the unit out to a guy in Arizona to have it reconditioned. That was another $150.00 plus the cost to ship it to him (that was another experience entirely). Considering the job he did, I think that was money well spent.

I own two Akai CR80D SS units which sound great, one Dokorder which sounds as good as the Akai, but is playback only and an RCA stereo record quad playback unit which also sounds very good. I would be hard pressed to pick my favorite, but I lean toward the Akai CR units.

MTGC (Michael)

Some intersting patents.

US 3730532 COMBINATION FOUR-CHANNEL TWO-CHANNEL STEREOPHONIC ENDLESS CARTRIDGE TAPE PLAYER

US 3877070 2-Channel - 4-channel changeover device in a cartridge-type tape recorder

US 3881195 Transducer cleaning unit

US 4041538 Low noise magnetic transducer preamplifier having flat response

Back