What's the Latest CD/LP Added to Your Pile?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just came back from a trip to D.C. and have a nice small pile to add to the collection:

1. Theo Bikel, "An Actor's Holiday"
2. MJQ, "Blues On Bach"
3. Bee Gees, "Life in a Tin Can"
4. Judy Collins, "Whales and Nightingales"
5. Roy Head, "A Head of His Time"
6. The Marvellettes, "The Marvellettes"
7. Various, "Zig Zag Festival" (Mercury 2LP comp, 1970)
8. AWB, "Warmer Communications"
9. Creative Source, "Creative Source"

Nice haul!

Vince Guaraldi - The Charlie Brown Suite & Other Favourites

I'd only got the iTunes version of this and whilst not unpleasant this second hand CD upgrades the listening experience considerably. The Charlie Brown Suite is a live recording of Guaraldi from May 18th 1968 at Mr D's in San Francisco. I don't think I will ever hear anything that moves me quite as much as this does. Guaraldi's Trio anchors each and every familiar tune but the arrangements give rise to wonderful improvisation whilst the first rate orchestra clearly have a ball trying to keep up. You know the audience is utterly entranced as they seemingly don't know when to clap - you can hear them hanging on for more before they trickle into full and warm applause. Add a swinging live cut of 'Cast Your Fate To The Wind' sounding full and expressive with a fantastic roomy space to it and you're in heaven. The opening two tracks are studio cuts of 'Linus And Lucy' and 'The Charlie Brown Theme' and both really pop - full marks for the transfer here, this is special music and anyone who has heard some of the terrible work that the Christmas album has been subjected to need not be concerned.

Schultz, Mendelez, Mendelson and Guaraldi. Good grief.

516jFToPXNL.jpg

Attachments

• cbsvgt.jpg
    cbsvgt.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 190
Them Crooked Vultures - Them Crooked Vultures (Vinyl)
Them Crooked Vultures.jpg

Rage Against the Machine - Rage Against The Machine (Vinyl)
Rage Against The Machine.jpg

Mr. Bungle - Mr. Bungle (Vinyl)
Mr.Bungle.jpg

Deftones - White Pony (Vinyl)
White Pony.jpg

Deftones - Diamond Eyes (Vinyl)
Diamond Eyes.jpg

Tool - Undertow (Vinyl)
Undertow.jpg

Gordon Giltrap & Oliver Wakeman - Ravens & Lullabies (Ltd. Ed. 2CD) - if you like your Prog-Rock folky with classical influences, really nice album
Black Sabbath - 13 - classic sounding new Sabbath tracks, really clear audio

A couple here:
First up, the original IRS CD of "Method To Our Madness" by the mighty LOTNC. This one had to be bought because every single one of the re-issuedversions has really bad tape slip on the track "My Kingdom Come" - you can hear the tape slipping so clearly someone MUST have been seriously asleep at the wheel during the transfer.
MTOM.jpg

Next, the equally awesome Love And Rockets - this one is a 5 CD Box Set at a well good price of £15. The first 4 albums are here in their remastered form, and very well done they are too, plus an additional disc of extra bits, a few of which were never before available. HIghly recommended to all music fans - these would be awesome in 5.1 if only I knew who to talk to about it!
LAR.jpg

Vince Guaraldi - The Charlie Brown Suite & Other Favourites

I'd only got the iTunes version of this and whilst not unpleasant this second hand CD upgrades the listening experience considerably. The Charlie Brown Suite is a live recording of Guaraldi from May 18th 1968 at Mr D's in San Francisco. I don't think I will ever hear anything that moves me quite as much as this does. Guaraldi's Trio anchors each and every familiar tune but the arrangements give rise to wonderful improvisation whilst the first rate orchestra clearly have a ball trying to keep up. You know the audience is utterly entranced as they seemingly don't know when to clap - you can hear them hanging on for more before they trickle into full and warm applause. Add a swinging live cut of 'Cast Your Fate To The Wind' sounding full and expressive with a fantastic roomy space to it and you're in heaven. The opening two tracks are studio cuts of 'Linus And Lucy' and 'The Charlie Brown Theme' and both really pop - full marks for the transfer here, this is special music and anyone who has heard some of the terrible work that the Christmas album has been subjected to need not be concerned.

Schultz, Mendelez, Mendelson and Guaraldi. Good grief.

View attachment 10754

do you have this SACD, inquadwetrust?

http://www.jazzloft.com/p-53953-a-boy-named-charlie-brown.aspx

http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/2307

I've always wondered what it's like and been tempted a couple times when I've seen it out and about over the years but never took the plunge.

A couple here:
First up, the original IRS CD of "Method To Our Madness" by the mighty LOTNC. This one had to be bought because every single one of the re-issuedversions has really bad tape slip on the track "My Kingdom Come" - you can hear the tape slipping so clearly someone MUST have been seriously asleep at the wheel during the transfer.
View attachment 10770

Next, the equally awesome Love And Rockets - this one is a 5 CD Box Set at a well good price of £15. The first 4 albums are here in their remastered form, and very well done they are too, plus an additional disc of extra bits, a few of which were never before available. HIghly recommended to all music fans - these would be awesome in 5.1 if only I knew who to talk to about it!
View attachment 10771

IRS records were on Parlophone, or at least distributed by them, up until last year when EMI went tits up. from what I can gather. prev., they were an EMI imprint (hence REM's Document DVD-A being an old IRS album re-released on Capitol records I guess!?).. so if you have any contacts with any former EMI/Parlophone geezers Neil?

might be Richard LaBonte's cup of tea for Music Valet 5.1 treatment? :D

Had a voucher and some money so spent a shade less than £15 on the latest ZZ Top box set 10 albums less than £1.50 per disc cant be bad.

Also the latest Bobby Whitlock reissue the ABC Dunhill years the first half is almost Derek and the Dominos 2

Love and Rockets on Beggars Banquet I think?

http://www.beggars.com/

L&R were indeed on Beggars Banquet but there seem to be no contact details - the label has vanished in all but name & only handles archive stuff now. TLOTNC were indeed IRS (Miles Copeland's label) and I am not sure who has the rights now.
As for the 5.1 remixes, I would rather do these myself if I can find out who to talk to.......I know the original albums almost inside-out

Phil Manzanera's "801 Live" bundle from Burning Shed (only £11.99 for 5 discs) with the 2CD Collectors Edition of "801 Live", and CDs of 801 Live @ Hull, Manchester, and Latino.

do you have this SACD, inquadwetrust?

http://www.jazzloft.com/p-53953-a-boy-named-charlie-brown.aspx

http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/2307

I've always wondered what it's like and been tempted a couple times when I've seen it out and about over the years but never took the plunge.

Yes - both the original US SACD and the newer Japanese SHM-SACD. Both sound great/identical to me with tremendous warmth to the low end and a pleasant crispness to the percussion and piano. Maybe the SHM version edges a little ahead in the detail. Wonderful music too. Get the Monster release of 'A Charlie Brown Christmas' over the SACD as it's got a decent surround mix as well as the hi-res stereo. I'd also get Vince's 'Jazz Impressions of Black Orpheus' on SACD too.

photo.jpg

Bought this one today at BBY. $7.99 (reg. price) and got a 10% discount due to the case being damaged. Last one they had.

Not a bad track on it. Well, except maybe that Starships is censored, but I have the uncensored single so it's no big deal. They even censored the word "bitch".

Playing time under 24 minutes. So it's not all that cheap at $7.99 if you are counting minutes.

update: Just picked up the Target limited edition that just got re-stocked as of today, and only $10. This one isn't as good but for the price may as well. These are (were) being scalped on ebay.

Attachments

• pitch_perfect_back_small.jpg
    pitch_perfect_back_small.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 129
  • pitch_perfect_target.jpg
    pitch_perfect_target.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 124
Wings Over America Deluxe Edition 3 CD/DVD/4 Books

music-paul-mccartney-wings-over-america-boxset-6.jpg
WingsBox.jpg

Bob Dylan (1st album) EU remastered & expanded CD (25 tracks)
263447.jpg

Karl Bartos Off the Record German CD
karl-bartos-off-the-record.jpg

Jimi Hendrix Somewhere 7" vinyl single w/unreleased Power of Soul
jimi_hendrix_somewhere_single_a__94033.1360984628.1280.1280.jpg
jimihendrix7inch1.jpeg

Jimi Hendrix Somewhere CD single w/unreleased Foxey Lady
0887654395320.jpg

A couple more arrived in the mail...

Mick Harvey - Four (acts of love)

new album from ex-Bad Seed. For so many years he held that band (and Nick) together and his own stuff is generally quite good and should get more attention than it does.

61c7wF-uqDL._SY300_.jpg

Sigur Rós - Kveikur

41gfITAk0AL._SY450_.jpg

Another day, another peek in the mailbox, and what do have....more cd's!

Pere Ubu - Live at the Longhorn 4/1/78
51Q02Wo9HAL._SY300_.jpg

Ian McCullough - Live at Liverpool Anglican Cathedral
MACCD002__18995.1363852643.300.400.jpg

Back