What's the Latest CD/LP Added to Your Pile?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Velvet Darkness - Allan Holdsworth (ZK 45482).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 166
Got these this week ...gonna"listen" to them today or tomorrow..
Yes- Heaven and Earth (Blue Vinyl" (2 LPs)
R-5894293-1405621137-9020.jpeg

Saga- "Sagacity" (again,a 2 LP set..they are learning!)
R-5830696-1403894622-4858.jpeg

Despite all of the negative reviews, I went and picked up Heaven and Earth, the new Yes release.

I have played it three times and for some reason, I really like it.
The songs are rather laid back but the instrumentation is well done (Not over the top)
What surprises me is the backing vocals. They are spot on and support Davison's fine effort.

Of course, the final cut "Subway Walls" drives it home perfectly. :smokin
(I must be getting old) :yikes

Phil Ochs 'Tape from California' Collectors Choice CD. I actually got a good price on it from an eBay bid (usually get sniped).

Finally, after many attempts to get at a reasonable price, an original "Hot Stamper" RL Led Zeppelin II. And yes, it really does sound different compared to my other 1841 Broadway pressing of the same vintage. A lot more bass and crisper highs. Unfortunately also a lot of crackle in places - tolerable but in the quiet parts a bit annoying. Oh well, for $33 I can't complain. LZII.jpg

Excuse my ignorance, but what do you mean with "hot stamper", and what is "RL" standing for?

-Kristian

Excuse my ignorance, but what do you mean with "hot stamper", and what is "RL" standing for?

-Kristian

Hello Kristian. Sometimes called the "hot mix" or hot stamper, this version of LZ II was reportedly pulled shortly after release due to the fact the aggressive nature of the mastering resulted in an LP that was hard for cheaper carts to track. People thought it was defective! RL is Robert or Bob Ludwig. He is one of the most famous and respected mastering engineers of the LP era. I prize any album cut by him, or George "Porky" Peckham or Wally Traugott . There are quite a few others but those are my top three. Phillip is right about the cutting taking more space on the LP. The runout is noticeably shorter on both sides, which is how you know for sure you have an original. Side two is the most obvious with a very narrow runout.
Mike

Low end sounds very good on my system...not a bad track on this album!

Thanks for the feedback! (y) Sounds v.promising. My turquoise HR Cutting SHM (w/same new mastering) arrived today.. I absolutely positively indubitably cannot waaaait to hear this one! :p

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 205
Thanks for the feedback! (y) Sounds v.promising. My turquoise HR Cutting SHM (w/same new mastering) arrived today.. I absolutely positively indubitably cannot waaaait to hear this one! :p

Just gave this new Steely Dan CTE SHM a v.quick flick thru.. straight off the bat, low end is terrific, just as you say PK.. I've never heard or felt the bass quite to this extent on this record before (but it doesn't seem bloated or overblown but lovely and full and warm).. top end is a bit recessed (similar to the 2010 DSD Aja SHM) but again sounds just right and very natural.. DF's vocals are absolutely chock full of detail.. as I flicked thru and got to My Old School (always quieter than everything else before or after it on every version of this album I've heard and here is no different) with a good cranking the laid back treble really came to life (again very much like the Aja SHM).. I can't find any source or mastering info/credits anywhere in the liners (in English) ..does anyone have any info on who mastered this, where and what tapes were used?

Just gave this new Steely Dan CTE SHM a v.quick flick thru.. straight off the bat, low end is terrific, just as you say PK.. I've never heard or felt the bass quite to this extent on this record before (but it doesn't seem bloated or overblown but lovely and full and warm).. top end is a bit recessed (similar to the 2010 DSD Aja SHM) but again sounds just right and very natural.. DF's vocals are absolutely chock full of detail.. as I flicked thru and got to My Old School (always quieter than everything else before or after it on every version of this album I've heard and here is no different) with a good cranking the laid back treble really came to life (again very much like the Aja SHM).. I can't find any source or mastering info/credits anywhere in the liners (in English) ..does anyone have any info on who mastered this, where and what tapes were used?

Scroll down here

Thanks! (y)

"..from DSD master in 2014 based on US original analog tape"

Interesting.. Roger Nichols (RIP) had said the tapes were in such poor shape they couldn't be used when the time came to master the SD albums for CD, hence resorting to the digital transfers he did in the early 80's, that ended up being used on the 1st MCA CDs. Story went something along those lines anyway.. hmm..

Back