What's the Latest MATRIX LP/CD Added to Your Pile? SQ, QS, RM, EV

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi. All

Some more matrix LP`s came on Friday..

( Diatone. RM=QS 7LPR-212 - 7'' 4 Channel Demo Record )-
( Toshiba. QS TX4-3014 -Dynanic Young Hits Deluxe )-
( Trio. A Box Set CD-4:SQ:QS TD 2-5 This is 4Channel )-

IMG_2417.jpg
IMG_2418.jpg
Untitled_Panorama1.jpg

IMG_2433.jpg
Untitled_Panorama6.jpg

IMG_2421.jpg
Untitled_Panorama2.jpg
Untitled_Panorama3.jpg
Untitled_Panorama4.jpg

A package containing CD-4, SQ and RM? That's something I've never seen before. Where did you find this?

Hi. CharlesLovesQuad

You have to look regularly at the Japanese record shops on eBay to catch these babys, and my best Japanese sit closed down before Christmas which is a bummer they have been on eBay for at lest 9 years, no answer for the closure either ..........:(............

Last edited:
A package containing CD-4, SQ and RM? That's something I've never seen before. Where did you find this?

I've never seen that Trio set either, must be pretty rare. I wonder what the point of it was? - for Trio / Kenwood dealers demonstration purposes perhaps? I wasn't aware that Trio produced equipment that supported all three of those formats though. Looks as though the content of each record is wildly different so any direct comparison of system performance would not be very easy (come to think of it, maybe that was the point!).

Slightly less rare perhaps is the famous HFNRR Quadrafile set which, whilst only two LPs, goes one better by having SQ, QS, CD4 and UD4 sides with identically mastered content.

I can show you all four sides in one shot because I have two copies (!) individually numbered 107 and 168 of the 5,000 produced:

QDRF.jpg

I wonder how much use any of those 5,000 UD4 sides ever got?!

Last edited:
I've never seen that Trio set either, must be pretty rare. I wonder what the point of it was? - for Trio / Kenwood dealers demonstration purposes perhaps? I wasn't aware that Trio produced equipment that supported all three of those formats though. Looks as though the content of each record is wildly different so any direct comparison of system performance would not be very easy (come to think of it, maybe that was the point!).

Slightly less rare perhaps is the famous HFNRR Quadrafile set which, whilst only two LPs, goes one better by having SQ, QS, CD4 and UD4 sides with identically mastered content.

I can show you all four sides in one shot because I have two copies(!) individually numbered 107 and 168 of the 1,000 produced:

View attachment 32078

I wonder how much use those 1,000 UD4 sides ever got?!

Hi. Soundfield

I also think this set was most likely for Kenwood dealers and yes not having the same on each disc to compare would be logical it might show what system sounded best ??
I have the Quadrafile set as well, UD4 really was a dead system and didn`t get onto the market, I think Denon was a big pusher of UD4 and there was a small catalog of LP`s that was made..

Hi. Soundfield

I also think this set was most likely for Kenwood dealers and yes not having the same on each disc to compare would be logical it might show what system sounded best ??
I have the Quadrafile set as well, UD4 really was a dead system and didn`t get onto the market, I think Denon was a big pusher of UD4 and there was a small catalog of LP`s that was made..
You're correct that Denon was the force behind UD-4, and they offered a demodulator that also had a CD-4 setting. I also have the "Quadrafile" set, and I think having the same material on all four sides can really show the strengths and weaknesses of the different systems.

More than likely pressed in Britian with those blue jobs given the large market in your neck of the woods . If there was no Columbia/CBS specific pressing plant they may have commissioned a local pressing facility .

(But I suppose it's possible-a Dutch plant )

Outside of the U. S , smaller markets had pressings locally.

In Canada and well Israel and South Africa they seemed to press locally .(and there are others similar ).

It's remotely possible Columbia UK(EMI) was commissioned to do those pressings .

In the UK the USA Columbia was CBS and occasionally had Dutch or German Quad pressings- EMI Columbia was different

You're correct that Denon was the force behind UD-4, and they offered a demodulator that also had a CD-4 setting.

For those of you wishing to decode your UD4 records there is currently on ebay a 'development model' (serial no.1) Denon Quadraphonic Universal Demodulator QMX-100 on offer for just £2,400 !!! Described as "a little dusty" and "mains switch requires replacement" I wonder what the chances of this actually working are! This particular item seems to pop up on ebay quite regularly but for some reason never sells! Even more curiously, every time it reappears it's price increases - the last time I saw it was in November at £950.

Last edited:
In the UK the USA Columbia was CBS and occasionally had Dutch or German Quad pressings- EMI Columbia was different

Yes Columbia UK was indeed different. And so were pressing plants and labels. Actually a "different animal altogether " when you consider them from a business point of view.

I don't think pressing plants (including label specific) were necessarily beholding to one company...all the time. Take for instance London Records Canada who pressed all Project 3 quads and stereo here as well as Ovation's vinyl . No doubt others as well.
Phonodisc Canada pressed all PYE Quad and stereo discs here and RCA Canada pressed ABC, Impulse and CTI/KUDU vinyl .

I know that British pressings...as well as German , and Japanese were highly coveted by Canadian audiophiles because they were so clean (free of pops, ticks, etc.)

Britain and the aforementioned Countries had much higher qualty control standards and as a result became the sought after discs here.
There was even a large record store here (mid 70's ) that carried ONLY imports , and they did a brisk business as a result of their imorts committal .

And now to further "muddy " the waters.....I notice my lone CBS SQ British disc .......has no CBS numbers etched or imprinted in the vinyl runout .
Instead the markings are mirror identical to the U.S. SQ Quad pressings ! Which would suggest they used a U.S. metal stamper master copy from Columbia Records U.S.A. These are the Columbia Q A L and Q B L numbers ?, and not the CBS jacket numbers identified as the British release ?

I suggest to anyone who has any SQ CBS British releases to check it out....maybe something different can turn up (or
turnips) :D

fizzled fizz

I can show you all four sides in one shot because I have two copies (!) individually numbered 107 and 168 of the 5,000 produced:

View attachment 32078

I wonder how much use any of those 5,000 UD4 sides ever got?!

For my discs and this very unique sampler not many I would think, as far as UD-4 that is. And let's not forget this 4 sided quad disc had 5 systems to check out....3 matrix and 2 discrete . Two of the matrices were close in decode though.
Although I did not have a Denon demodulator...it was fun to examine the CD-4 and the 3 matrices---SQ , QS, and BMX .

Also weird that the one track (Unicorn records I think ) was sourced from stereo ? I suppose they were demo-ing the ambience.

Hi. All

I think the best test LP`s for testing your Quad system, are the Project3 Popular Science Test Records.
and I think with a little hunting you can still find these available.

( Project3. SQ ( PR 401 SQ ) LQ 35182 -Test Record )-
( Project3. QS PR401 QS -Test Record )-
( Project3. CD-4 PR401 CD-4 -Test Record )-
( Project3. Q4 PRC4 Tape -Test Tape )-

IMG_2445.jpg
IMG_2446.jpg

IMG_2447.jpg
IMG_2448.jpg

Last edited:
I think the best test LP`s for testing your Quad system, are the Project3 Popular Science Test Records.

Yes Bill, I think you're right - it's probably the one I use most for general performance checks. Certainly of more general day-to-day use than the equipment calibration discs such as the CBS one in my avatar. Only really having a need for SQ, I didn't realise it came in those different flavours! What was "Project 3" though? I always thought is was a rather strange name for a quad product but I have also recently seen that there was a Project 3 stereo test disc - equally incongruous!

Hi. All

Often wondered why Project 3 did not issue one of those test discs in their first quad matrix----EV-4 ?

Maybe by that timeline it was a goner . Still they made many excellent high quality matrix quad albums in all 3 matrices , well all of the 3 being utilized in North America, that is.

thanks Dave, good to have it verified by you :upthumb

could some of these SQ LPs maybe be Dutch pressings?

did CBS have a pressing plant in the Netherlands in 1972/73?

I only ask as (with my Sherlock Holmes' sleuthing deerstalker on!) with their "Blue lettered" CBS gold labels they look very similar to Dutch CBS SQ pressings I have of Rita Reys, Thijs Van Leer, Van Dyke & Van Otterloo.

if anybody here wants to see some of those Columbia Q8s with pasted over CBS logo stickers that Dave refers to, just say the word and I'll add some piccies to the QQ Q8 zone :)

Actually....if you have some of the last CBS pressings in quad , the 1977 editions that were single inventory , you should have the definitive answer . :D

Actually....if you have some of the last CBS pressings in quad , the 1977 editions that were single inventory , you should have the definitive answer . :D

how and which ones FW?
the couple of late era Single Inventory CBS SQ LPs I have, both Classical, CBS Masterworks imprint (Stravinsky Pulcinella Suite - 1978) and (Britten In Memoriam - 1977) both say "Printed In Holland" on the reverse of their sleeves.. does that answer the question? :yikes

Hi. All

I wondered why they did not put Channel separation on there CD4 LP?

how and which ones FW?
the couple of late era Single Inventory CBS SQ LPs I have, both Classical, CBS Masterworks imprint (Stravinsky Pulcinella Suite - 1978) and (Britten In Memoriam - 1977) both say "Printed In Holland" on the reverse of their sleeves.. does that answer the question? :yikes

I don't have any conclusive evidence, but it seems to me that for dual-inventory quad titles that were sold in the UK only, copies were imported from the US and stickered with CBS logos and catalog numbers, and for dual-inventory titles that were sold throughout Europe (which seems to be primarily classical stuff, but there is the occasional pop title like this copy of Neil Diamond's Serenade from the UK that's on eBay) they were pressed and printed in Holland.

I don't have any conclusive evidence, but it seems to me that for dual-inventory quad titles that were sold in the UK only, copies were imported from the US and stickered with CBS logos and catalog numbers, and for dual-inventory titles that were sold throughout Europe (which seems to be primarily classical stuff, but there is the occasional pop title like this copy of Neil Diamond's Serenade from the UK that's on eBay) they were pressed and printed in Holland.

thanks Dave :)

just checked and I notice I have that Dutch for the UK pressed Serenade SQ, plus a couple of other Dutch SQ records I got from UK sellers (Santana Hits, Amigos.. the Hits comp even has HMV Shop stickers on it from when it was originally on sale in the UK in the 70's) and I threw in a Borboletta Dutch SQ I got from a Dutch seller

EbNT3NJ.jpg

interestingly these Dutch CBS SQ pressings have the Gold labels with Blue CBS printing on them, just like the CBS SQ LPs in gold bordered sleeves I posted pics of in this thread the other week, with the pasted over blurb on the front and back of the sleeves.

also, looking at the run outs of the various LPs they all have the same (some hand etched, some pressed) stampers as their U.S. counterparts but they also have extra catalogue numbering info of "Qxxxxx" (or "SQxxxxx") set alongside or around the hub from the U.S. SQ markings (of QAL/QBL)

here's the Serenade Dutch SQ runout for Side 1, showing "Q AL- 32919 - 1A" stamped round one edge of the label and "SQ 60067 A" round the opposite edge, hand etched

3qZ5yua.jpg

LeGTgMj.jpg

and for a fun comparison here's what's pressed into the runout of Side 1 of the Spanish pressed for Spain SQ LP of Serenade/Serenata (just one stamped cat no. "P Q AL 32919 1B" )

mbZzbkk.jpg

Back