What's the Latest MATRIX LP/CD Added to Your Pile? SQ, QS, RM, EV

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ah ha! i just remembered i do have some gold-bordered sleeve Columbia SQ LPs with the CBS stickers pasted over like yours Soundfield!

MKzwnJ2.jpg

IenfIWM.jpg

Just acquired this Boulez Conducts Bartók / New York Philharmonic ‎– The Miraculous Mandarin (Complete) / Dance Suite – a bit battered but still (just) sealed, it’s that thin brittle cellophane stuff which is torn in several places. What I find particularly interesting is how it has been 'over-labelled' – something I’ve not seen on any CBS Gold Border SQ before. On the top front right where the printed SQ logo normally sits on these releases a metalised SQ badge has been applied. Even more curiously on the rear, where the compatibility stuff about SQ recordings is normally printed, that standard text has been applied as an adhesive plastic tape which has aged rather badly (!) Why this was done is something of a mystery as the sleeve does in fact seem to carry the very same words printed underneath, which you can just still make out. This was an early release (1972) so I guess CBS were still trying out the house style for their Gold Border issues and this seems to be a rather hand finished example and I’m guessing there aren’t many still around in this form. Anyone seen anything similar? - All other references to this disc I can find on-line show it in a form with the conventional directly printed logo and instructions.

The easy answer is that the paste over records are U.S. pressings for the U.K. market (and others) where "Columbia" is a registered trademark for EMI records, and "CBS" is not. I have found them here in Canada as well.

Adam's got it basically - there was no Columbia Records in the UK at the time, it was CBS Records, and they didn't manufacture their own quad product. They imported it from the US and overlaid it with stickers changing the Columbia references to CBS. Their Q8's are like this too, and I know Adam has a few, the big 'Columbia Q8 Quadraphonic 8-Track' logo on the backs of the tapes is overlaid with a CBS sticker.

Hi guys – thanks for clearing that up. I thought I’d got something rare but it seems those stickers are far more common than I’d imagined! I’ve only got half a dozen or so of those Gold Border discs so my sample size was rather small and my knowledge even smaller! Actually I don’t remember seeing many of them back in the day in the UK so can’t recall how they would have been badged here then - what few I have now have been rather more recent web based purchases so who knows in what market they were originally intended to be sold! Good spot on the record labels themselves fredblue – if anyone had asked me I’d have sworn they were all red – wrong again!!

Adam's got it basically - there was no Columbia Records in the UK at the time, it was CBS Records, and they didn't manufacture their own quad product. They imported it from the US and overlaid it with stickers changing the Columbia references to CBS. Their Q8's are like this too, and I know Adam has a few, the big 'Columbia Q8 Quadraphonic 8-Track' logo on the backs of the tapes is overlaid with a CBS sticker.

thanks Dave, good to have it verified by you :upthumb

could some of these SQ LPs maybe be Dutch pressings?

did CBS have a pressing plant in the Netherlands in 1972/73?

I only ask as (with my Sherlock Holmes' sleuthing deerstalker on!) with their "Blue lettered" CBS gold labels they look very similar to Dutch CBS SQ pressings I have of Rita Reys, Thijs Van Leer, Van Dyke & Van Otterloo.

if anybody here wants to see some of those Columbia Q8s with pasted over CBS logo stickers that Dave refers to, just say the word and I'll add some piccies to the QQ Q8 zone :)

Hi guys – thanks for clearing that up. I thought I’d got something rare but it seems those stickers are far more common than I’d imagined! I’ve only got half a dozen or so of those Gold Border discs so my sample size was rather small and my knowledge even smaller! Actually I don’t remember seeing many of them back in the day in the UK so can’t recall how they would have been badged here then - what few I have now have been rather more recent web based purchases so who knows in what market they were originally intended to be sold! Good spot on the record labels themselves fredblue – if anyone had asked me I’d have sworn they were all red – wrong again!!

you're welcome Soundfield! anytime! i love trying to work out all this kinda stuff too, with a little/lotta help from my QQ friends! :)

I only ask as (with my Sherlock Holmes' sleuthing deerstalker on!) with their "Blue lettered" CBS gold labels they look very similar to Dutch CBS SQ pressings I have of Rita Reys, Thijs Van Leer, Van Dyke & Van Otterloo.

if anybody here wants to see some of those Columbia Q8s with pasted over CBS logo stickers that Dave refers to, just say the word and I'll add some piccies to the QQ Q8 zone :)

If you look up the titles in the Quad discography, you can find out if therre were Dutch pressings of individual titles. I think you will find they are most likely U.S. pressings and that they won't have the same high quality of the Dutch records of the era. Besides, the Netherlands, like the U.K., have Columbia as an EMI label, so the Dutch pressings likely would be CBS without stickers.

If you look up the titles in the Quad discography, you can find out if therre were Dutch pressings of individual titles. I think you will find they are most likely U.S. pressings and that they won't have the same high quality of the Dutch records of the era. Besides, the Netherlands, like the U.K., have Columbia as an EMI label, so the Dutch pressings likely would be CBS without stickers.

did you see in the pic of the labels on the discs themselves, they have Blue-coloured "CBS" SQ Quadraphonic logos on gold labels (so no need for stickers over any Columbia logotype).. what i'm asking is, as the LPs inside look very much like Dutch CBS SQ LPs, could they be Dutch SQ pressings in sleeves printed and manufactured in the U.S.A.?

did you see in the pic of the labels on the discs themselves, they have Blue-coloured "CBS" SQ Quadraphonic logos on gold labels (so no need for stickers over any Columbia logotype).. what i'm asking is, as the LPs inside look very much like Dutch CBS SQ LPs, could they be Dutch SQ pressings in sleeves printed and manufactured in the U.S.A.?

It may be possible. I have had the stickered label U.S. Bridge Over Troubled Water in a stereo U.K. sleeve that had a CBS quad sticker on the spine. So there is any possibility out there.

oh my lawdee-lawd..!! :yikes

hold.. the.. phone...!! :yikes

i've been speaking Double Dutch! (not for the 1st time!) :ugham:

this fascinating convo has made me look again at some of those "Dutch" CBS SQ LPs and while my copies of Thijs Van Leer's "Introspection" and Louis Van Dyke & Rogier Van Otterloo's "Telepathy" do have the same kind of Blue "CBS" SQ Quadraphonic typeset on gold labels as these other CBS SQ LPs of mine and Soundfield in question, my copy of the Rita Reys SQ is an Australian pressing of the SQ LP with a CBS gold bordered sleeve like all these others but a gold disc label with RED CBS SQ logotype..!!! :yikes

stone the crows mate! my gob is.. smacked..!! :violin

That's okay Fred, get ready for this! I had a look in my collection and I found a couple anomalies. I found three LP's that I know where I bought them locally second hand.

First - Bach's Greatest Hits - MQ 32054, stickers on jacket, blue CBS print on label, the bottom of the labels do NOT say Made in U.S.A. or Canada. Original quad Columbia U.S. inner sleeve. Shrink wrap removed from jacket. No price sticker.

Second - Tchaikovsky's Greatest Hits - MQ 32055, no stickers on jacket or label, labels are red Columbia print and say Made in U.S.A. Original quad Columbia U.S. inner sleeve. Shrink wrap still on jacket. No price sticker.

Third - Chopin's Greatest Hits - MQ 32058, no stickers on jacket or labels, blue CBS print and do NOT say Made in U.S.A. or Canada. Not with original inner sleeve. Shrink wrap still on jacket. No price sticker.

I have good reason to believe these were all purchased originally in Canada. The quad market in Canada was relatively small and a lot of titles were imported from the U.S., but quite a few titles were pressed here as well. I am going to surmise that the blue print may have been from Canada with sleeves printed in the U.S. When the U.S. plants were overwhelmed, Canadian plants shipped to the U.S. as well. Two very notable times weere for the first print of the Beatles Second Album in the U.S. (we had Long Tall Sally concurrently), and when Elvis died, RCA was using every available plant to stamp his discs to keep up with the demand.

I should have also noted that I have three of the discs you pictured, but they are all U.S. prints with red Columbia writing on the labels and they say Made in the U.S.A. Wish I had the other three.....

Looks Dutch.. :cool:

Smells Dutch.. :smokin

Made in Oz..!! :nuke

(my 1st clue shoulda/coulda been the rear of the sleeve, "Distributed by Avan Guard Music Australla".. doh! i "avant garde" a clue! :ugham:
oh and the label says Made In Oz too! well whaddya know! i should have checked and never have presumed Rita was a Dutch pressing! :D

sFm4aWN.jpg[img]

fWaXxZo.jpeg[img]

oJMFe12.jpeg[img]

1d58nwQ.jpeg[img]

here's a couple of gen-yoo-wine Dutch CBS SQ labels (Blue and Gold) to compare to the other Blue & Gold CBS SQ labels in the gold bordered Columbia SQ sleeves with CBS SQ stickers etc all over them.! phew! :p

aM5ROPp.jpeg[img]

b2Ft6ts.jpeg[img]

That's okay Fred, get ready for this! I had a look in my collection and I found a couple anomalies. I found three LP's that I know where I bought them locally second hand.

First - Bach's Greatest Hits - MQ 32054, stickers on jacket, blue CBS print on label, the bottom of the labels do NOT say Made in U.S.A. or Canada. Original quad Columbia U.S. inner sleeve. Shrink wrap removed from jacket. No price sticker.

Second - Tchaikovsky's Greatest Hits - MQ 32055, no stickers on jacket or label, labels are red Columbia print and say Made in U.S.A. Original quad Columbia U.S. inner sleeve. Shrink wrap still on jacket. No price sticker.

Third - Chopin's Greatest Hits - MQ 32058, no stickers on jacket or labels, blue CBS print and do NOT say Made in U.S.A. or Canada. Not with original inner sleeve. Shrink wrap still on jacket. No price sticker.

I have good reason to believe these were all purchased originally in Canada. The quad market in Canada was relatively small and a lot of titles were imported from the U.S., but quite a few titles were pressed here as well. I am going to surmise that the blue print may have been from Canada with sleeves printed in the U.S. When the U.S. plants were overwhelmed, Canadian plants shipped to the U.S. as well. Two very notable times weere for the first print of the Beatles Second Album in the U.S. (we had Long Tall Sally concurrently), and when Elvis died, RCA was using every available plant to stamp his discs to keep up with the demand.

blimey! the plot thickens like gravy! :nuke

...a Blue & Gold CBS SQ record label in a Columbia gold sleeve without CBS pasteover & stickers!!?? Haysoos Fakkin Aitch Corbett..!!! :yikes

I'm sorry I started all this, it was just a simple, innocent question - and now I've got a headache!

I'm sorry I started all this, it was just a simple, innocent question - and now I've got a headache!

I am sorry Soundfield. I get a little CDO about details. I didn't mean to give you a headache.

Fred, I will try to take a couple pix to compare with yours. I think the Dutch, Aussie and New Zealand labels were a bit glossier than Canadian or American prints. I won't be home until tomorrow night though. I wish there was a way to take the quad database and have anyone who wished to contribute photos and matrice etchings to see how many variations there really are.

More than likely pressed in Britian with those blue jobs given the large market in your neck of the woods . If there was no Columbia/CBS specific pressing plant they may have commissioned a local pressing facility .

(But I suppose it's possible-a Dutch plant )

Outside of the U. S , smaller markets had pressings locally.

In Canada and well Israel and South Africa they seemed to press locally .(and there are others similar ).

It's remotely possible Columbia UK(EMI) was commissioned to do those pressings .

Back