What's the Latest MATRIX LP/CD Added to Your Pile? SQ, QS, RM, EV

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Indian Reservation - The Raiders (SQ LP).

image.jpg

image.jpg

Fredblue,

It's cool to finally get to see some of those CBS SQ UK discs.And interesting to see EMI pressed VANGUARD discs.

In Canada we could get a lot of imports but when it came to those 2 labels, Columbia records were pressed in Canada by COLUMBIA RECORDS CANADA in dual inventory SQ discs.They stopped dual inventory quads though, and two of the last SQ 's pressed here I remember were PINK FLOYD'S-WYWH (in clear shrink wrap with sq/quad emblem on the robotic hand sticker), and JEFF BECK-BLOW BY BLOW.

The BLOW BY BLOW also had some f-ups, whereby stereo discs were inserted in error in the Canadian sleeves.
The WYWH is now a rarity, my guess is they imported U.S. copies in greater numbers as (well in my city anyway) it's not as common or was not as common as the U.S. copy.

FWIW Santana Festival may not be great quad, but if you like the band/music and I do, I would not dismiss it.It's not fake quad, it's quad alright no doubt about it.They had better quad mixes of course, and it won't "blow your skirt up", but I would recommend it to any quad fan.

Fredblue,

It's cool to finally get to see some of those CBS SQ UK discs.And interesting to see EMI pressed VANGUARD discs.

In Canada we could get a lot of imports but when it came to those 2 labels, Columbia records were pressed in Canada by COLUMBIA RECORDS CANADA in dual inventory SQ discs.They stopped dual inventory quads though, and two of the last SQ 's pressed here I remember were PINK FLOYD'S-WYWH (in clear shrink wrap with sq/quad emblem on the robotic hand sticker), and JEFF BECK-BLOW BY BLOW.

The BLOW BY BLOW also had some f-ups, whereby stereo discs were inserted in error in the Canadian sleeves.
The WYWH is now a rarity, my guess is they imported U.S. copies in greater numbers as (well in my city anyway) it's not as common or was not as common as the U.S. copy.

FWIW Santana Festival may not be great quad, but if you like the band/music and I do, I would not dismiss it.It's not fake quad, it's quad alright no doubt about it.They had better quad mixes of course, and it won't "blow your skirt up", but I would recommend it to any quad fan.

Fredblue,

Thanks for all the great info fizzywiggs41 :)

The Eleventh House Quad I just got is a German pressing I think? The other pic I posted earlier cut the bottom of the sleeve off! :eek:

image.jpg

Thanks for all the great info fizzywiggs41 :)

The Eleventh House Quad I just got is a German pressing I think? The other pic I posted earlier cut the bottom of the sleeve off! :eek:

View attachment 20021
Yes, yes indeed, I thought those numbers on the Vanguard disc were EMI/ELECTROLA.A German pressing.Vanguard SQ discs in my country were all U.S. I do believe, but were imported by/distributed by LONDON RECORDS CANADA.Sometimes a little sticker on the sleeve's reverse.I'm not sure if they pressed any.They did import (U.S.) and press some PROJECT 3, OVATION, AND GOLDEN CREST and maybe a few other small labels, again I say maybe.

I think we're saying the same thing, at least kind of, regarding Santana Festival. I'm underwhelmed by it as a Quad mix, and even less so about Amigos. To me, both albums are great musically. Yes, some folks don't like Amigos musically.

I bought every Santana Quad (and later 5.1) when they were new releases: Abraxas, III, Live w/Buddy Miles, Caravanserai, Love, Devotion w/McLaughlin, Welcome, Greatest, 1st (issued in Quad in '74 - finally), Illuminations w/Coltrane, Borboletta, Lotus, Amigos & Festival. A SQ or Q8 were my first copy for nine of them. They all knocked me out musically and mix-wise EXCEPT the last two for mixes. Although far from bad, Illuminations didn't wow me musically.

Oh, yes, I bought EVERY Santana solo or group record within days of their release. It all started a few weeks after Woodstock when I was in Korvettes and they were playing their first. I've been hooked ever since. I've seen Carlos live at least 10 times.

Today, I would rank III as my favorite. Welcome might be my second favorite. Both GREAT mixes.

1st US pressings of Welcome have an OBI-like strip over the top w/song titles Santana & SQ Quadraphonic printed in gold., white "welcome" script embossed on a white cover, and a WHITE Quad label on the record itself, rather than a gold label w/ black print. The Welcome Q8 does change track in the middle of a song, which kind of spoils the experience.

If you dig Santana, you need to get his proteges' album Azteca in Quad. A 16 piece outfit. A spectacular Quad mix, which I've had on SQ & Q8. One of those albums that may not impress you musically at first, but will get under your skin. It's one of my most favorite albums, Quad or otherwise.

Fredblue,

Yes, QuadLinda

I just thought "fake quad" could be a little misleading (ala billingsgate).

I to find Illuminations underwhelming, but a good mix, musically poor, but in the context.........I think it's more of an Alice Coltrane type vehicle and not too much Santana's.
Borboletta, and to some degree Amigos don't strike me in a positive Santana quad selection kinda way, so I can't comment much about the quad mixes as they rarely get listened to by me.
Welcome is one of the first quad discs I owned, and it is an early quad mix by Columbia, amazing quad mix.
As are the rest .
Santana/Buddy Miles live is a rare exellent quad SQ mix treat, a must own! So many live quads can be lacklustre, but not this one (and Lotus)

Thanks-Fizzzzzz

(my balloon is deflating, need sustenance)

Talking of "Fake Quads" apparently there are sealed copies of Stereo LP re-presses in Quad sleeves..! :yikes

(I've just ordered a sealed EWF/Way Of The World SQ that I now fear may be one of these fakes.. :( )

The offending titles to steer clear of are:
Sly Stone - High On You,
Harold Melvin - Wake Up Everybody,
Earth, Wind & Fire - That's The Way Of The World

DAMMIT JANET..!!!!!! :mad:

Article here:

https://quadraphonicaudio.wordpress.com/2009/07/12/ton-fornof-handy-info/

Fred I'd like to thank you personally for nearly giving me a heart attack. Lol. My copy of Wish You Were Here closely matches the description in that article. It is a stereo sleeve, the matrix number on the spine of the cover has a sticker over it that weirdly has the PC and PCQ numbers on it. Has the SQ label of course. I was at work when I read that post so I had to wait ALL DAY wondering if I wasn't somehow crazy and this was somehow not the quad one. When I got home I checked the matrix in the deadwax and THANKFULLY my copy has the Q on both sides. Whew. I would hate to have to hunt that record again.

Ok guys and girls, I need your advice, please?

EW&F/That's The Way Of The World has turned up sealed and looking wonderful but (surprise surprise) it's the fake with Stereo reissue inside a reproduction of the Quad sleeve (complete with barcode on the back!) :(

I'm not sure how to explain this very peculiar/particular situation to the seller (who seems a very nice guy indeed and I know is 100% genuine).. I'm torn.. thinking its almost worth hanging onto as a curio seeing as it wasn't expensive.

What would you do?

I would tell him for educational purposes.......when did the album come out, 1974 or something? I don't recall seeing any barcodes back then!
No need to get into the weeds about quad pressings repackaged and released in 1989 or something...."Well it could have happened, right?" Yeah....

Back