What's the Latest MATRIX LP/CD Added to Your Pile? SQ, QS, RM, EV

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Head To The Sky - Earth, Wind & Fire (SQ LP).

image.jpg

image.jpg

Head To The Sky - Earth, Wind & Fire (SQ LP).

View attachment 20429

View attachment 20430

Interestingly, unlike other copies of the Quad LP I've seen around online, as you can see this one I've bought comes in the stereo gatefold sleeve (CBS 65604) with a black/gold SQ sticker affixed to top left of front cover (with the gold labelled Quad LP inside.. CQ 32194 / QBL 32194).. anybody else here have one like that?

I'm guessing its a UK or European edition as the U.S release has the "SQ QUADRAPHONIC" legend at the centre top of the front cover?

Edit: Giving it a quick once over before I get back to work.. sounds absolutely amazing.. the sleeves no great shakes (again) but when the bloke I bought it off said it was unplayed he was right, wowzers..! :yikes

Hey Fred! Those gold stickers were to label US pressings for UK export. Inside will be a US pressing, sometimes with perimeter labels to block out "Columbia". They sometimes used the stereo jackets if no quad ones were ready at time of manufacture. I have gotten a few like that over the years. I wish I still had them, but likely left them behind when I left Toronto for good. We also had similar on a few US imports to Canada. Strange thing is that most quad titles in Canada were US imports, regardless of label. Near the end of quad, they started slapping import stickers and prices on the last of the RCA Quadradiscs.

Hey Fred! Those gold stickers were to label US pressings for UK export. Inside will be a US pressing, sometimes with perimeter labels to block out "Columbia". They sometimes used the stereo jackets if no quad ones were ready at time of manufacture. I have gotten a few like that over the years. I wish I still had them, but likely left them behind when I left Toronto for good. We also had similar on a few US imports to Canada. Strange thing is that most quad titles in Canada were US imports, regardless of label. Near the end of quad, they started slapping import stickers and prices on the last of the RCA Quadradiscs.

Thank you SO much for all the fab info! Big grizzly bear hug! Grrrr..!!! :D

Take a good look at your Barbra Joan Streisand SQ LP depicted on post #688 in this thread. The front cover spells it Barbra (how she spells her name). The back cover spells it Barbara! :yikes

Bizarrbra..!! :yikes (Enjoyed that Fagen/Brecker toon on the BJS album btw! Good call :upthumb )

US and many other countries' LP's of BJS repeat the spelling problem on the back cover. The US CD (CK 30792) shows the back cover photo in its' booklet, sans any printing. The CD booklet also spreads all the back album info over several pages.

Back in the day, the mess on the back cover was discussed in print. As I recall, it was Rolling Stone.

...and another thing or two: the talent involved in this album is stunning! Besides BJS and Donald Fagen, it features Billy Preston, Hal Blaine, Fanny, Jim Gordon, Jim Keltner, Larry Knechtel, and Lincoln Mayorga, among others.

Take a good look at your Barbra Joan Streisand SQ LP depicted on post #688 in this thread. The front cover spells it Barbra (how she spells her name). The back cover spells it Barbara! :yikes

Good to know, thanks again! :)
I have Stoney End and The Way We Were SQ on their way in the mail, Lazy Afternoon SQ is on the shopping list (with a gazilllion things as ususal). I've seen a number of Columbia label Live Quads for artists such as Andy Williams, Johnny Mathis etc.. are their Quad mixes similarly lacking like Barbara's Live Quad?

Edit: A great shame "A Star Is Born" missed out on the Quad treatment.. Streisand and Kristofferson had quite a few Quads between them (is it as many as 9?) but Quad all but pegged out by the time they'd come together, so to speak.. I have it on LP and CD and it is a lovely album.. Evergreen always has me welling up, beautiful song and magical performance and arrangement.

The "Johnny Mathis in Person" has great orchestra surround. It really pops.

Back