What's the Latest MATRIX LP/CD Added to Your Pile? SQ, QS, RM, EV

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They Only Come Out At Night - Edgar Winter (SQ LP).

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I got hold of a sealed one, oooh, what a voice!

Blimey! :yikes Superb find! :upthumb Did you find it since you moved to the States or over here?

As you can see from the pics I've posted of stuff coming in so far I'm having to take pot luck on the condition of sleeves and such as the deals on these Quad LPs come up (finding some of them in some unlikely places too!)

Have to say I've been lucky with the condition of the vinyl itself so far, even if the sleeve's a dog's dinner the records themselves play great, many perfectly or with the kind of minor ticks in between tracks that I could just chop out in Audacity without affecting the music one solitary note.. I've not got round to properly playing all of them (as usual, never enough hours in a day) but several so far have been revelatory, totally blowing the sound of the CDs out of the water.. and of course when I get the SQ Vinyl Surround Master their full Quadraphonic glory will be revealed..!! Can't wait!! :banana:

The sealed version was from the KUSF Rock N Swap that happens in San Francisco three times a year - lots of lovely bargains to be had, I think Ol' Johnny was $8. Of course there is more to find here due to the heavier push quad got out here - I'm mainly using Discogs at the moment as I've found the grading seems pretty fair and everyone I've dealt with so far has been very accommodating, even when I've had to say that I thought a NM was close to a VG. Instant refunds and smiles all round. I never ever came across anything back in England, not even single inventory stuff. It's an embarrassment of riches in some ways and I am having to not go crazy as there is only so much time to play the LPs and I had stockpiled a fair few before my SM arrived. The SQ stuff does indeed (mix depending) sound awesome via the SM, but QS just seems to offer a pinch more separation and richness to the sound; I hope you can find some good stuff out there, maybe start with the PYE single inventories and if you can find one, SPIRAL and SOMETIMES by the Harry Roche Constellation. Ironically that's super hard to get here but I got the CD here which retains the encode and sounds stunning. I just know the LP would have that extra something! I've spotted a fair few nuggets of interest on Discogs that you could be looking at too, listed as UK based. Doubly ironic is that now buying things from the U.K is pretty expensive when you get paid in $$$ :smokin

The sealed version was from the KUSF Rock N Swap that happens in San Francisco three times a year - lots of lovely bargains to be had, I think Ol' Johnny was $8. Of course there is more to find here due to the heavier push quad got out here - I'm mainly using Discogs at the moment as I've found the grading seems pretty fair and everyone I've dealt with so far has been very accommodating, even when I've had to say that I thought a NM was close to a VG. Instant refunds and smiles all round. I never ever came across anything back in England, not even single inventory stuff. It's an embarrassment of riches in some ways and I am having to not go crazy as there is only so much time to play the LPs and I had stockpiled a fair few before my SM arrived. The SQ stuff does indeed (mix depending) sound awesome via the SM, but QS just seems to offer a pinch more separation and richness to the sound; I hope you can find some good stuff out there, maybe start with the PYE single inventories and if you can find one, SPIRAL and SOMETIMES by the Harry Roche Constellation. Ironically that's super hard to get here but I got the CD here which retains the encode and sounds stunning. I just know the LP would have that extra something! I've spotted a fair few nuggets of interest on Discogs that you could be looking at too, listed as UK based. Doubly ironic is that now buying things from the U.K is pretty expensive when you get paid in $$$ :smokin

Very cool indeed! :) For the U.S. purchases I've got a few on Discogs and found Music Stack pretty good (Electrified Funk sealed for a tenner is the highlight from the States so far) though a pig to search for stuff.. the most prohibitive thing about buying from the U.S is (suprise suprise) postage and customs which has worked out more than the discs.. so I'm trying to avoid it unless I really can't find that title closer to home (Johnny Nash just came from a U.S seller on Music Stack, Discogs doesn't have a listing for it that I could find).

A large number of these LPs I've been picking up have been from the UK and Europe, including things I didn't expect to find outisde of the U.S. at all, including all the O'Jays (Survival SQ seems scarce enough but chuffed to find it in this country!) Isleys Harvest For The World (which sounds incredible just in stereo), MFSB/Philadelphia Freedom, all the Earth Wind & Fire, Billy Joel/Turnstiles, Dave Mason, Weather Report, Johnnie Taylor all UK purchases.. Wired was from Israel.. Larry Coryell from Germany.. it's been a hoot so far! Easily the most fun I've had with this hobby in a good while and once I've moved into the new place and got the Surround Master I'm going to try and take a week or so out and really make the most of all these twelve inchers.

PM me anytime if you want me to pick you up anything from Blighty btw! (y)

Very cool indeed! :) For the U.S. purchases I've got a few on Discogs and found Music Stack pretty good (Electrified Funk sealed for a tenner is the highlight from the States so far) though a pig to search for stuff.. the most prohibitive thing about buying from the U.S is (suprise suprise) postage and customs which has worked out more than the discs.. so I'm trying to avoid it unless I really can't find that title closer to home (Johnny Nash just came from a U.S seller on Music Stack, Discogs doesn't have a listing for it that I could find).

A large number of these LPs I've been picking up have been from the UK and Europe, including things I didn't expect to find outisde of the U.S. at all, including all the O'Jays (Survival SQ seems scarce enough but chuffed to find it in this country!) Isleys Harvest For The World (which sounds incredible just in stereo), MFSB/Philadelphia Freedom, all the Earth Wind & Fire, Billy Joel/Turnstiles, Dave Mason, Weather Report, Johnnie Taylor all UK purchases.. Wired was from Israel.. Larry Coryell from Germany.. it's been a hoot so far! Easily the most fun I've had with this hobby in a good while and once I've moved into the new place and got the Surround Master I'm going to try and take a week or so out and really make the most of all these twelve inchers.

PM me anytime if you want me to pick you up anything from Blighty btw! (y)

I extend the same offer to you as well; PM and I'll see what I can do!. You've had an amazing haul and I have to say you gave me a lot of hope in finding 'Harvest...' - I found one and paid a little more than I should but given what you've said about stereo only so far then I am sure it will be worth the euros and the long trip from Germany!

What a marvelous thing it is to be a surround fan in this second decade of the 21st Century; a new piece of technology available to us that unlocks so much beautiful listening. The Surround Master is a time machine, a Rosetta Stone. I'm sat here listening to my latest purchase - Paul Simon's 'There Goes Rhymin' Simon' and the quad mix is outstanding, discrete but natural sounding - smooth and organic and I am still kind of in a daze about it. A format that was only ever really heard as it was meant to by a select few at the tail end.

How amazing that we have this place too; to talk about it and share the 'feels'. :banana:

Diverse but each with it's own distinct merits. Johnny Hammond is an absolute joy (boost the rears a little as they're a tiny bit lower than it should be) and I already mentioned the Paul Simon above.

IMG_3601 copy.jpg

the most prohibitive thing about buying from the U.S is (suprise suprise) postage and customs which has worked out more than the discs.
wouldn't be writing on parcel like "happy birthday" or such, helpful in avoiding customs charges?
at least for Canada this trick works as it considered to be gift.

I'm so glad I don't have the time, space or money for a solid vinyl/tape quad listening set up. The only way it could possibly work is if we added a listening room to the house, hmm...no impossible.

I'm so glad I don't have the time, space or money for a solid vinyl/tape quad listening set up. The only way it could possibly work is if we added a listening room to the house, hmm...no impossible.

Haha! :D I don't have the time, space or money but I'm doing it anyway! :ugham:

Too bad; you'll never know what you missed. But I guess it's a mixed blessing. I'm glad I did have it. There was a lot of enjoyment to be had there.

I extend the same offer to you as well; PM and I'll see what I can do!. You've had an amazing haul and I have to say you gave me a lot of hope in finding 'Harvest...' - I found one and paid a little more than I should but given what you've said about stereo only so far then I am sure it will be worth the euros and the long trip from Germany!

What a marvelous thing it is to be a surround fan in this second decade of the 21st Century; a new piece of technology available to us that unlocks so much beautiful listening. The Surround Master is a time machine, a Rosetta Stone. I'm sat here listening to my latest purchase - Paul Simon's 'There Goes Rhymin' Simon' and the quad mix is outstanding, discrete but natural sounding - smooth and organic and I am still kind of in a daze about it. A format that was only ever really heard as it was meant to by a select few at the tail end.

How amazing that we have this place too; to talk about it and share the 'feels'. :banana:

Thank you! :) Well.. The SQ LPs I'm most actively looking for that I just cannot find anywhere at the moment are those blasted Isleys (Go For Your Guns and The Heat Is On).. have you ever seen either of those while on your shopping trips?

We are extremely lucky to be into Quad at this point in time.. if only there'd been the fabulous Surround Master back in the day, the fortunes of SQ and Quad in general may have been much more favourable.. and I think you know how I feel about QQ, it's the best thing since sliced Quad..! :p

There is just something about the look of vinyl...love it...I guess it's just nostalgia..but whatever it is...IT'S COOL:cool:..you will never get that feeling looking at some storage device:spot

I used to love and cherish my LPs like they were my babies.. like so many music fans I got out of the habit of not only buying but listening to vinyl the last 20 years and poured my love into shiny optical discs of varying sizes and formats.. now the time has come for me to reignite the flames of my love for vinyl.. and I think the flames are burning higher than they ever did.. though I better keep them away from the records themselves or they'll melt..! :D

Back