What's the Latest MATRIX LP/CD Added to Your Pile? SQ, QS, RM, EV

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm hoping A F releases the quads by Herbie.

Me too..! :upthumb
I've got the Thrust SQ LP in the mail at the min., which I'm looking forward to hearing one day.. and the Head Hunters Surround SACD is fab, though I haven't played it for.. a while! :eek:

I've read that Secrets isn't a very good Quad mix (may even be faked or something iirc..?) but I'm still looking forward to trying it out down the line thru the good ol' Surround Master SQ Vinyl..! (TM) :D

How do you rate the Secrets Quad mix, fizzy?

I only managed to get Headhunters back in the quad days, but from what I have read time and time again, Herbacious Herbie has excellent quad discs, all.

He was slated to release one or two SACD OR DVDA discs in the early years of 2000, something from the 90's or 2000 I believe, but did not happen, yet he was an early supporter of the 5.1 format, and recorded something in eleven channel if I remember correctly.

For whatever reason that project did not get off the ground.

Seven - Poco (SQ LP).

I love this album (my favourite of theirs) hoping the Quad's a good one.. a previous owner of this LP very thoughtfully let the cover go a funny colour in the sun/water.. so instead of the correct verdant green we have trippy shades of blues and greens like a tie dye t-shirt.. ah well, so long as the records alright.. though it looks strangely warped almost like a shallow dish.. that's dish not disc..!! :D I shouldn't grumble, it was only $2.50 (about £1.60).. :eek:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Live In Europe - Billy Paul (SQ LP).

As you can see this little old record once proudly belonged to "CARSON".. I'm tempted to scrawl my name all over it now! Never got my head around why people do that.. stop it getting nicked from their digs I guess.. one of the benefits of living with people who think you're a crank and so never even think about stealing your stuff! :D

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Can't Buy A Thrill - Steely Dan (QS LP).

One of my favourite albums by one of my favourite bands.. felt like daylight robbery getting the old Quad record so cheap $4 (£2.50).. :eek:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hi Fred, seems the original owner of your Billy Paul LP went to parties with their records. back then we all took our records to parties and shared them. In order to get your records back at the end of the party, or the next day, you put your name and maybe an address or phone number so no one with good morals would run off with your discs. My aunts did that to their discs as well. Fortunately i have replaced the albums I inherited from them and my dad as they were worn to the extreme(and not quad). Seems my dad thought that one side of the needle lasted longer than the other. It wasn't the LP side. I remember his record player also had a quarter taped to the top of the arm. Stereo meant that you could put a speaker in the kitchen too! Needless to say, I have left the family stereo ideals behind long ago.

Hi Fred, seems the original owner of your Billy Paul LP went to parties with their records. back then we all took our records to parties and shared them. In order to get your records back at the end of the party, or the next day, you put your name and maybe an address or phone number so no one with good morals would run off with your discs. My aunts did that to their discs as well. Fortunately i have replaced the albums I inherited from them and my dad as they were worn to the extreme(and not quad). Seems my dad thought that one side of the needle lasted longer than the other. It wasn't the LP side. I remember his record player also had a quarter taped to the top of the arm. Stereo meant that you could put a speaker in the kitchen too! Needless to say, I have left the family stereo ideals behind long ago.

Ah! Fun to hear that's how these things got their tags! :D
(Now I'm somehow reminded of that song "You Will Always Find Him In The Kitchen At Parties".. :banana: )

My 2 cents: Secrets is great musically, but is a quasi-quad mix.

I love the mix and music on Buddy Miles Chapter VII, but there is little bass. I have it on Q8, SQ, 2ch LP and CD. The CD has slightly more bass. Although it doesn't have his biggest hit, Them Changes, IMHO, this is his best album.

Me too..! :upthumb
I've got the Thrust SQ LP in the mail at the min., which I'm looking forward to hearing one day...

I've read that Secrets isn't a very good Quad mix (may even be faked or something iirc..?) but I'm still looking forward to trying it out down the line thru the good ol' Surround Master SQ Vinyl..! (TM) :D

How do you rate the Secrets Quad mix, fizzy?

My 2 cents: Secrets is great musically, but is a quasi-quad mix.

I love the mix and music on Buddy Miles Chapter VII, but there is little bass. I have it on Q8, SQ, 2ch LP and CD. The CD has slightly more bass. Although it doesn't have his biggest hit, Them Changes, IMHO, this is his best album.

Interesting! I tried these two out the other night.. even though the Buddy Miles record was in superb condition (essentially new and unplayed the seller said) the sound was a bit lacking.. kinda thin as you describe and indistinct with a dulled yet an almost granular top end.. Shame as musically I rather liked it.. and the mix as you say was nice and discrete.. maybe it's just inherent in the original recording?

Secrets was an entirely different kettle of fish! Sound quality lovely.. and whatever the mix is it's quite effective in immersing you in the music.. there's some odd phasey/echoey things in places (effects on drums that I don't remember being in the stereo!) and definitely things panned to different speakers.. and a very trippy synth bit that seemed to pulse in and outwards from the mid-center point kinda inverted in all 4 channels at once and then back out into normal phase again in all 4..! Kooky! Love the album.. maybe a reissue from Audio Fidelity on Surround SACD would really make the most of the mix? :D

Oh Linda! A question please! :eek:

How is the Quad and sound quality on Buddy Miles' Booger Bear Quad?

It's surprisingly common (especially for that 74/75 Quad period) in the scheme of things.. as in there are more than half a dozen different copies out there on the interwebs right now all seemingly in great condition... but I can't find a copy outside of the U.S and the sellers I've found so far want 1.) a lot for the disc, more than I'm willing to pay.. and 2.) are charging a lot for postage.. more than I'm used to paying for Int'l mail.. if the Quad is nothing amazing then I'll hold off until I can find a UK or European seller and/or get it cheaper from another seller as/when one comes up. Thanks in advances! hugs ((((((QL)))))))

Sergio Mendes & Brasil '77 - Pack 20 (Japanese SQ LP).

View attachment 21485

Quick thoughts on that Sergio Mendes 77 thru the SQ Vinyl Surround Master..

1.) It's a mish mash of a mix, some tracks are just ambience, mainly those with little going on but even those normally have reinforcement of instruments back there, not quite double stereo but sometimes bordering on it.. but others are discrete.. normally drum kit elements and percussion back there but also lovely female vocals.. the geezer is always up front from what I can make out,

2.) Sound quality is absolutely GORGEOUS - I immediately despaired when I saw so many tracks and bands so close together.. I need not have worried, sound is LUSH.. and oh my can those girls SING.!!

3.) There's a wonderful Quad track, number 4 on Side 1 ("Like A Lover") where the song starts off with one girl singing in front right, then another takes over front left, then another rear right and rear left.. Fabulous! I know to some these things are a gimmick but to me when used right they are amazing and on this track it's a joy,

4.) I Can See Clearly Now is a hoot! Bongo's bash away with lovely little keyboard accents tinkling away in the rears.. gotta love that bom chicka wah guitar! A bit of a cheese fest for sure but so much FUN!

5.) A live recording maybe but crowd noise mostly kept to a minimum.. they mostly give polite ripples (in DayTripper they clap along to the beat most the way through.. while the guy on cowbell goes NUTS at front right.. but they're a reserved bunch.. rowdy rip your seats up and chuck em in the aisles people they are not!) in other words you don't know they're there a lot of the time.. which doesn't detract from the delightful atmosphere the musicians create, which is palpable, the energy level is up there.. the enthusiasm high! Samba Party time! :party

6.) In a nutshell, if you want some feel good Quad with amazing sound and a nice enough mix with the odd discrete highlight - you won't go far wrong with this one.

F.B.

Let me know sometime how that Grass Roots disc in QS sounds via your S.M. device? Please.

And that STEELY DAN QS is my fave "Dan" disc, boy do I ever wish AF would release the quad SACD or better yet SACD or BLU-RAY'S of ELLIOT SCHEINER'S 5.1. ANY AND ALL of these UMe discs!!!!

Back