What's the Latest MATRIX LP/CD Added to Your Pile? SQ, QS, RM, EV

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Captured Angel - Dan Fogelberg (SQ LP).

Here's one I've been wanting to show you, a curious SQ record by stealth! :yikes

View attachment 23055

View attachment 23056

View attachment 23057

View attachment 23058

View attachment 23059

View attachment 23060

View attachment 23061

View attachment 23062

This disc has my "quad sleuth" mind tingling.

I wonder if this find tends to give more of an emphasis to hidden quads. This could provide some credibility to the two COLUMBIA/EPIC discs
reported previously with SQ quad emblems in stereo sleeves ??

The two I'm considering are GONG SHAMAL, and that KANSAS disc (title escapes me).

Something to ponder, anyway.

This disc has my "quad sleuth" mind tingling.

I wonder if this find tends to give more of an emphasis to hidden quads. This could provide some credibility to the two COLUMBIA/EPIC discs
reported previously with SQ quad emblems in stereo sleeves ??

The two I'm considering are GONG SHAMAL, and that KANSAS disc (title escapes me).

Something to ponder, anyway.

Absolutely! I'm convinced all sorts of things slipped through the cracks during Quads' heyday... how much of it is as yet undiscovered since one wouldn't automatically think to go looking for Quad stuff in stereo sleeves to this day, who can say.. but as you know fizzy, my first copy of the SQ LP of David Essex's "Rock On" came in a Stereo sleeve and that is apparently exactly how it came originally in the 70's (alas, no CBS covering letter..!).. my 2nd copy is in the correct Quad sleeve with SQ Quadraphonic logos and catalogue info but the discs themselves appear identical.. its all rather curious.

The Kansas LP that slipped out with SQ labels iirc was "Song For America".. maybe just coincidence but funny because one or two tracks from that record used to do interesting/good things in PLII when I fiddled around with that a few years ago.. not tried any of their stuff in SQ since I got the Surround Master, I must try some soon and see.

Hi. All
More matrix LP`s came today.
( EMI. SQ Eugen Jochum Brahms Symphony No. 2 In D )-
( EMI. SQ Aida Giuseppe Verdi )-
Bill..

EMI SQ.jpg

Hi. All
More matrix LP`s came today.
( EMI. SQ Eugen Jochum Brahms Symphony No. 2 In D )-
( EMI. SQ Aida Giuseppe Verdi )-
Bill..

View attachment 23107

Just curious...is it hard for you to get these LP's....you live in New Zealand...maybe a local record store...btw..I love this thread...I'm living vicariously thru these posts..there is just something about album covers that brings a smile to my face:)

Absolutely! I'm convinced all sorts of things slipped through the cracks during Quads' heyday... how much of it is as yet undiscovered since one wouldn't automatically think to go looking for Quad stuff in stereo sleeves to this day, who can say.. but as you know fizzy, my first copy of the SQ LP of David Essex's "Rock On" came in a Stereo sleeve and that is apparently exactly how it came originally in the 70's (alas, no CBS covering letter..!).. my 2nd copy is in the correct Quad sleeve with SQ Quadraphonic logos and catalogue info but the discs themselves appear identical.. its all rather curious.

The Kansas LP that slipped out with SQ labels iirc was "Song For America".. maybe just coincidence but funny because one or two tracks from that record used to do interesting/good things in PLII when I fiddled around with that a few years ago.. not tried any of their stuff in SQ since I got the Surround Master, I must try some soon and see.

These kind of things put a bounce in my step, and a big smile on my face and make it so much more fun when I'm searching through the local used record stores.

You just never know what "Qind of Quad Jewels" exist for you to newly discover.

Happy Hunting,all you Super Sleuths!!!!:cool:

Hi. Clint Eastwood
Yes and no to your question, I have notest in my travels up & down NewZealand stoping in Op. shops & Salvations shop, I would come away with a hand full of EMI quad lps but getting harder to do so now it virtually dring up. The bigest LP shop her in Auckland and probably NZ is could " Real Groovy " they have thousnad of LP`s so you need a full day in searching and the price of parcking your car is very exspensive. I think here in New Zealand QUAD LP`s in its hay day where in limited suply in Australia it was more prevalent.

Just curious...is it hard for you to get these LP's....you live in New Zealand...maybe a local record store...btw..I love this thread...I'm living vicariously thru these posts..there is just something about album covers that brings a smile to my face:)

Frederico, or should I say Ambassador Fred,

You have such a global collection of quads one could say.........oh I dunno how about, "THE UNITED NATIONS OF QUAD"

Great find from Brazil, btw.

Atom Heart Mother - Pink Floyd (SQ LP; Brazilian pressing).

Nice find Adam, I got my German copy a short while ago, hope you didn't pay too much! Are there any SQ LPs left out there now :) ? I imagine the Involve Surround Master will do a great job in decoding the SQ, it sounded good just using DD ProII Music. I really could do with the proposed HDMI Involve unit being available.

Nice find Adam, I got my German copy a short while ago, hope you didn't pay too much! Are there any SQ LPs left out there now :) ? I imagine the Involve Surround Master will do a great job in decoding the SQ, it sounded good just using DD ProII Music. I really could do with the proposed HDMI Involve unit being available.

Haha! There's loads of SQ LPs still to get.. around a half a dozen Chicago albums included, which are proving extremely elusive, among them.. which has surprised me for such a big name group their Quad LPs are so hard to find, I'm not sure if thats a case of demand outstripping supply back in the day or indeed demand now outstripping supply.. maybe not many copies have survived the last 40 years intact. or they never pressed many in the first place.. seems odd, I thought I'd have tracked them all down by now but no.. loads more to get still besides that though I might take a break now from buying so I can take stock of the last 6 months purchases.. or I might not! :eek:

Oh it wasn't bad, cost £15, looked in decent enough condition when it arrived, some old sticker tear at top right of the back cover the only real negative.. the disc itself was grubby but that's no biggy, the biggest disappointment was even after a thorough wash it was still crackly so I suspect its the pressing itself at fault, oh and side 2 is pressed dismally off-centre.. ugh.

You know, I might risk one mega-wet play out of it at some point to try and get at least one crackle-reduced transfer out of it (but I'm talking making the surface of the disc like an ice rink, which is drastic - and daft, water flies about everywhere and some reckon it wrecks the disc forever more after that, or rather you can only wet play it from then on.. as a process it is not for the faint-hearted and personally its an absolute last resort.. but, as batty as it sounds, it works for one off plays of those few discs that are just rice krispies-riddled otherwise.. that said, it didn't work for my Argent/In Deep SQ LP, sad to say Trk 1-Side 1 of that, the big track on the damn album, is a lost cause! anyhow..

How did your German SQ of Atom Heart turn out sound wise, Duncan?

What do you need the HDMI Involve for? No 6-ch analogues spare in your rig?

How did your German SQ of Atom Heart turn out sound wise, Duncan?

What do you need the HDMI Involve for? No 6-ch analogues spare in your rig?

The German Atom Heart Mother was really good but it was sold as a near mint vinyl. There are some ultrasonic disc cleaners available, I've a lot of stereo vinyl and often wondered about getting one, but the good ones aren't cheap.

HDMI is just easier to connect up, plus I have currently connected one of my stereo reel-to-reels through the front pair of 5.1 inputs :yikes. The Surround Master does connect to directly to turntable doesn't it? Might have to get one then go into 'competition' with you on buying more SQ!

The German Atom Heart Mother was really good but it was sold as a near mint vinyl. There are some ultrasonic disc cleaners available, I've a lot of stereo vinyl and often wondered about getting one, but the good ones aren't cheap.

HDMI is just easier to connect up, plus I have currently connected one of my stereo reel-to-reels through the front pair of 5.1 inputs :yikes. The Surround Master does connect to directly to turntable doesn't it? Might have to get one then go into 'competition' with you on buying more SQ!

Ah that explains it, if its near mint then you would expect it to play as such! :D

My Brazilian was described as VG+.. which is pretty much spot on.. if it weren't for the faint crackle and pressed off centre side 2 I'd settle for it and transfer it but I will search for another copy instead of wasting time trying to make a silk purse out of it!

tbh I'm not sure my turntable or the records I've been buying warrant an exotic ultrasonic cleaner.. I've not even stretched to a 50 quid Okki Nokki or whatever its called, since I've managed to get some fairly respectable transfers out of even VG records..

the sealed ones and near as dammit ones obviously are preferable, of which I've lucked out and there have been quite a few, many times just a cursory dust over and they are good to go..

..but with these old Quads, as you know, you have to go with whats around or play an eternal waiting game (a game of fishing I don't have time for..!)

..a good old clean in the sink under lukewarm water with fairy liquid and a non scratch sponge pad and then rinse and dry with paper towels does absolute wonders (I should put up some clips of records before and after a through wash, its incredible!).. for particularly visibly dusty stuff I physically brush the dry dust out of the grooves first with an eensy teensy little brush that came with my beard trimmer ( :eek: ) and then wash them with the fairy and warm water solution, so condition doesn't stop me if the price is right and/or its a particularly tough one to track down.

oh yes HDMI is easier, I appreciate you not wanting to add to the spagehtti of cables..!
Yes, the SM could theoretically connect direct to a line level turntable but not one designed to go into a phono stage/ needs a phono preamp.. fwiw I recorded all the 2-channel records in with their SQ encoding with the line level phono direct to the computer and for a few months I ran the 2-channel analogue out of the computer thru the 2-ch input of the Surround Master.. since I got the MOTU the other week many late nights have been spent turning the 2-ch SQ into 4-channel files of gorgeousness! :eek:

Please PM me when you can Duncan! Too much to say in this thread! ;)

Haha! There's loads of SQ LPs still to get.. around a half a dozen Chicago albums included, which are proving extremely elusive, among them.. which has surprised me for such a big name group their Quad LPs are so hard to find, I'm not sure if thats a case of demand outstripping supply back in the day or indeed demand now outstripping supply.. maybe not many copies have survived the last 40 years intact. or they never pressed many in the first place.. seems odd, I thought I'd have tracked them all down by now but no.. loads more to get still besides that though I might take a break now from buying so I can take stock of the last 6 months purchases.. or I might not! :eek:

I think there are a few reasons the Chicago quads are hard to find, but I suspect the main one is that they didn't come out until relatively late in the lifespan of quad. The release schedule for the Chicago quads was something like this:

Unkown 1974 - III (the copyright date on the quad labels is 1974 but the article below seems to suggest the first Chicago quads were the 1975 ones)
January 1975 - CTA, II, V, VI, VII
December 1975 - Chicago IX (Greatest Hits)
August 20 1976 - Chicago VIII (based on catalog of copyright entries, image included below) (Stereo Release date: March 24, 1975)
August 27 1976 - Chicago X (catalog of copyright entry date - stereo version released June 14, 1976)

Compare this with some of the early Columbia quads (the first batch of which I think were released in January 1972) which included stuff like Sly & The Family Stone's Greatest Hits and Santana's Abraxas. In one of the Billboard articles from 1974 I posted in another thread, Columbia quad supervisor Al Lawrence said that Abraxas (their best selling quad title to date) had already sold something like 150,000 copies by that point. That means that by the time even one quad copy of a Chicago album was sold, there was a whole slew of quad titles titles released in the years previous that had sold tens or even hundreds of thousands of copies. Also factor in that quad was already in decline in 1975, and that all of these titles went out of print in 1978 so a lot of them were only in print for 3 years or less and most likely during these years Columbia wasn't pressing nearly as many copies of quad albums as it did from 1972-1974.

You also have to take in to account the popularity of the band itself, and the fact that the Chicago quad mixes are amongst the best of the format. I suppose they're also a rarity in that they're some of the only Columbia quads that were remixed by the band's preferred engineers and approved by the original producer.

columbia_chicago.jpg
copyright.jpg

I meant to add that the Pierre Bourdain who was Columbia's 'head of SQ project management' mentioned in that Billboard article above was the father of chef/writer/TV presenter Anthony Bourdain. Sadly he passed away in 1987 at the age of 57 from a heart attack - coincidentally exactly the same age as Harold J. Kleiner, who supervised a lot of Columbia's quad remixes.

I meant to add that the Pierre Bourdain who was Columbia's 'head of SQ project management' mentioned in that Billboard article above was the father of chef/writer/TV presenter Anthony Bourdain. Sadly he passed away in 1987 at the age of 57 from a heart attack - coincidentally exactly the same age as Harold J. Kleiner, who supervised a lot of Columbia's quad remixes.

Ugh.. I better get out of this SQ thing, it seemingly only leads to premature death..!! :yikes Are there any of the guys involved with SQ Quad that are still alive???

Ugh.. I better get out of this SQ thing, it seemingly only leads to premature death..!! :yikes Are there any of the guys involved with SQ Quad that are still alive???

Sure are ! Such notables as;

DIETER DIERKS
GEOFF EMERICK
MANUEL GOTTSCHING
JEFF LYNNE
PETER MEW
MIKE OLDFIELD

all involved with SQ and some still doing surround via 5.1

Sure are ! Such notables as;

DIETER DIERKS
GEOFF EMERICK
MANUEL GOTTSCHING
JEFF LYNNE
PETER MEW
MIKE OLDFIELD

all involved with SQ and some still doing surround via 5.1

Forgot:ALAN PARSONS

and others in quad but not SQ specifically that are still on this side of the grass (at least in the past 10 yrs) and have been busy with 5.1, include;

BRUCE BOTNICK
BOB CLEARMOUNTAIN
THOMAS MOWERY(Pentatone issuing many of his DGG recordings in quad-currently)
ROGER NICHOLS
PHIL RAMONE
OVIE SPARKS
TONY VISCONTI

possibly others of course,

fizzy

Forgot:ALAN PARSONS

and others in quad but not SQ specifically that are still on this side of the grass (at least in the past 10 yrs) and have been busy with 5.1, include;

BRUCE BOTNICK
BOB CLEARMOUNTAIN
THOMAS MOWERY(Pentatone issuing many of his DGG recordings in quad-currently)
ROGER NICHOLS
PHIL RAMONE
OVIE SPARKS
TONY VISCONTI

possibly others of course,

fizzy

Didn't Phil Ramone pass?

..and I thought Roger (The Immortal) Nichols proved sadly to be as mortal as the rest of us?

Back