What's the Latest MATRIX LP/CD Added to Your Pile? SQ, QS, RM, EV

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That "letter" is so cool(y)..I feel like Indiana Jones should be in that picture with Dan Fogelberg:cool: telling us what a great discovery this was

Isn't it! Too quaint! It was quite something when I first saw it.. I don't know how common it is, have you ever seen one like it before?

Its since got me thinking.. what other "stealth Quads" are there like this?

I'm wondering if (dreaming!) a few copies of Isley's Heat Is On Quad may have snuck it out in a similar way and that's why nobody can find a copy for love nor money!?

Never seen one of those, but I heard about them.

Wonder if the CD is in stealth SQ quad ???

Or for that matter any of those other "stealths" ? Something to consider, I figure.

Kinda gives you the "QUAD SLEUTH "bug, right Frederico!! The fun is in the hunt, but the "elation"one feels when one finds one, just can't be beat!! It's a super "natural high ".

Never seen one of those, but I heard about them.

Wonder if the CD is in stealth SQ quad ???

Or for that matter any of those other "stealths" ? Something to consider, I figure.

Kinda gives you the "QUAD SLEUTH "bug, right Frederico!! The fun is in the hunt, but the "elation"one feels when one finds one, just can't be beat!! It's a super "natural high ".

Oh it's gotta be pretty rare if you've not got one fizzy! I wonder which other titles CBS/Columbia slipped these little letters in..

The Captured Angel CD could be a stealth SQ title, I've never owned it on CD before, or any format before for that matter, so no idea tbh.

Haha! Oh yes, quite a thrill..and one you can buy..! Well I'm on the hunt (and have been for a wee while now) for some of the rumoured unreleased and/or ultra rare/htf old Quads.. not unearthed anything to speak of so far but I thought it'd be fun to post pics of this Dan Fogelberg with the letter etc.. if I find any more like it I will pass on the info & put up pics here etc.

There was another thread about this a couple of years ago, in that case it was Herbie Hancock 'Thrust'.

There are definitely separate quad and stereo vinyl releases of Captured Angel - I've seen them both on eBay, so I'd assume the CD is the regular stereo mix. You can see that the catalog # on the record label doesn't match the one on the jacket. It would be nice to see a copy of the quad jacket just so we can find out who did the quad mix though.. ;)

On a side note, the illustration on the front cover is just awful, it's like they got an angsty 15 year old to do a literal interpretation of the album title and ended up with something that looks like it's out of Evil Dead 2.

004.jpg
Isn't it! Too quaint! It was quite something when I first saw it.. I don't know how common it is, have you ever seen one like it before?

Its since got me thinking.. what other "stealth Quads" are there like this?

I'm wondering if (dreaming!) a few copies of Isley's Heat Is On Quad may have snuck it out in a similar way and that's why nobody can find a copy for love nor money!?

I've never seen one like that before...but it reminds of a "super vinyl" I bought in the early 80's...it cost me $50 and the regular vinyl versions were around $10 or less at that time...I only played it twice on the turntable I had and was saving it for the time I bought a reference turntable...which I never did...it's traveled with me for over 30 years across the United States...was only played twice but during that time period of many moves it is now "warped" very badly and will never be played again...I kept it as a sort of "time capsule"...but anyway...it did have some "paperwork" with it

001.jpg
003.jpg

View attachment 23071

I've never seen one like that before...but it reminds of a "super vinyl" I bought in the early 80's...it cost me $50 and the regular vinyl versions were around $10 or less at that time...I only played it twice on the turntable I had and was saving it for the time I bought a reference turntable...which I never did...it's traveled with me for over 30 years across the United States...was only played twice but during that time period of many moves it is now "warped" very badly and will never be played again...I kept it as a sort of "time capsule"...but anyway...it did have some "paperwork" with it

View attachment 23069
View attachment 23070

Very very cool.. :upthumb
Thank you for sharing :)

There was another thread about this a couple of years ago, in that case it was Herbie Hancock 'Thrust'.

There are definitely separate quad and stereo vinyl releases of Captured Angel - I've seen them both on eBay, so I'd assume the CD is the regular stereo mix. You can see that the catalog # on the record label doesn't match the one on the jacket. It would be nice to see a copy of the quad jacket just so we can find out who did the quad mix though.. ;)

On a side note, the illustration on the front cover is just awful, it's like they got an angsty 15 year old to do a literal interpretation of the album title and ended up with something that looks like it's out of Evil Dead 2.

Cool thread, thanks Dave :) I'm still on the lookout for an SQ Angel in the real Quad sleeve (I wonder if the Quad comes in a gatefold like the stereo?) partly for that reason.. ;)

Ps. Don't forget the emails I sent, please... I need help with Neil Diamond, etc.. some might say I need help because I listen to Neil Diamond but.. ;)

Cool thread, thanks Dave :) I'm still on the lookout for an SQ Angel in the real Quad sleeve (I wonder if the Quad comes in a gatefold like the stereo?) partly for that reason.. ;)

Ps. Don't forget the emails I sent, please... I need help with Neil Diamond, etc.. some might say I need help because I listen to Neil Diamond but.. ;)

I missed out on Quad version of Captured Angel some while ago :violin I always hope I'll stumble across one in a 2nd hand record shop

This is an MFSL UHQR limited edition LP. They sold for $50 new. I have the Sgt Pepper UHQR that I found at a Crazy Eddie's in Westchester County, NY on a business trip. They are quite rare these days. I think I only played mine maybe twice. Probably should check it out and see if it's still in decent shape. The DSOTM is probably the one worth the most, followed by the Sgt Pepper. These days, who knows?

This is an MFSL UHQR limited edition LP. They sold for $50 new. I have the Sgt Pepper UHQR that I found at a Crazy Eddie's in Westchester County, NY on a business trip. They are quite rare these days. I think I only played mine maybe twice. Probably should check it out and see if it's still in decent shape. The DSOTM is probably the one worth the most, followed by the Sgt Pepper. These days, who knows?

Unfortunately it's badly warped Jon...just didn't store it properly...

No, the album credits are identical to those inside the gatefold in Fredblue's picture.

Thanks! (but dammit.. I wonder who did this one..)

Does it have any mixing hallmarks to your ears?

Do any of the mixing choices seem like the Quad work, say, of Larry Keyes or Don Young?
Bert Chianti and Mary Bernstein, perhaps?
(Joke for Dave there.. ;) )

Is there a credit anywhere for 'Quadraphonic remix engineer" or similar?

I noticed Gary Ladinsky in the "Captured Angel" credits and remembered Gary did a few quad mixes in the 70's including "Stormbringer" and a few Santana albums. I'd bet Gary did the quad mix on "Captured Angel."

Back