Where to add Atmos speakers for maximum audio impact.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Monoprice makes some black ones that are only 10 bucks but I wanted white ones so as not to harm the feng shui of my ceiling, so I paid 5 bucks or so more for some from one of those no-name Chinese clone brands.
Mine came white, but the room is painted darkish brown, so I sprayed them dark brown that matches other trim in the room (outlets, foot lights, baseboards…)

I just picked up a pair of SVS Prime Elevation speakers new in box off eBay. My plan is to secure another pair for my 5.2.4 setup. Not going to rush the install, taking my time to study existing installations and compare that to my situation. I have a vaulted ceiling of wood paneling out here and I want to do this once!

I just picked up a pair of SVS Prime Elevation speakers new in box off eBay. My plan is to secure another pair for my 5.2.4 setup. Not going to rush the install, taking my time to study existing installations and compare that to my situation. I have a vaulted ceiling of wood paneling out here and I want to do this once!
I have a vaulted ceiling and installed the Elevations on the walls...not the most aesthetic but my ears don't mind ;)

1712072438954.png

I have a vaulted ceiling and installed the Elevations on the walls...not the most aesthetic but my ears don't mind ;)

View attachment 104088
Thanks for posting this! I had articulated mounting arms in mind when all of this Atmos started brewing. I like the idea of being able to make adjustments to improve the sound field. I don’t expect to get it right initially. Thanks.

Thanks for posting this! I had articulated mounting arms in mind when all of this Atmos started brewing. I like the idea of being able to make adjustments to improve the sound field. I don’t expect to get it right initially. Thanks.
Well, I would have rather mounted to the ceiling but that wasn't practical so I came up with a wall mount. Side benefit is the ability to play with the positioning of the Atmos speakers is much easier than other options.

Thanks! I used different mounts for the two of four speakers I’ve already installed… but these look more functional for my use case (Prime Elevation mounted to exposed joists in an unfinished ceiling).

Just ordered two pair. I’ll test on the two next speakers this weekend. If they are indeed better then I’ll swap out and return the other mounts.

Amazon search is so haphazard. This sort of ball and socket with a single screw to the speaker is what I scrolled endlessly to find. These never appeared.

Thanks! I used different mounts for the two of four speakers I’ve already installed… but these look more functional for my use case (Prime Elevation mounted to exposed joists in an unfinished ceiling).

Just ordered two pair. I’ll test on the two next speakers this weekend. If they are indeed better then I’ll swap out and return the other mounts.

Amazon search is so haphazard. This sort of ball and socket with a single screw to the speaker is what I scrolled endlessly to find. These never appeared.
"Scrolled endlessly," I feel your pain :ROFLMAO:

I bought two of those ball mounts to use on tripods for a mock up test. They worked pretty good...(y)

I installed 4 Cambridge Audio Minx Min 12 speakers on the ceiling using their Minx 400M wall mounts and it was an easy installation and it sounds great when playing any Atmos music or soundtrack. I used the Dolby recommended distances and settings and toe-in each speaker towards the sweet spot. For great Atmos sound, watch the TV Show Earthsounds on Apple TV+.

Well, I would have rather mounted to the ceiling but that wasn't practical so I came up with a wall mount. Side benefit is the ability to play with the positioning of the Atmos speakers is much easier than other options.
Thats what I have done, I bought 4x B&W M-1 (100W max.) speakers which come with wall mounting brackets. I've been able to point them downwards & towards my seat - not totally adjustable, but gives an immersive sound field (I've a 5.0.4 set-up, more than enough bass from 4x floorstanders!), but I didn't want to 'hack' the ceiling.

Back