Which albums would you like to hear in 5.1 surround?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Silk Degrees in surround would be great.

what can i say, Georgia, will you love me tomorrow when the harbor lights go down on jump street and they lido shuffle around giving you that dirty dirty dirty lowdown and what do you want the girl to do, when it's over we're all alone...!!! :SB

ahhhh... I've dreamt that album in surround, working out what might go where in 5.1.. such a stonking great masterwork deserves, nay demands the surround treatment. :love:

That “Silk Degrees” isn’t in surround is a shame. Surprised it didn’t get the treatment from Sony in the 00s when they were doing a lot of their other 70s best sellers.

I’d personally love to have “Down Two Then Left”. That album always suffered from a mix that was a slight bit muddy and dense IMO. Would love to hear it “opened up”.

Another album I feel the same way about is The Cars’ “Panorama”. It isn’t as sharp and snappy sounding as the rest. But the whole damn Cars catalog needs to be in 5.1 for sure.

The other day I was listening to My Bloody Valentine's "Loveless" and wondered what a proper surround mix could do with the blurred wall of sound of this classic and other Dream Pop/Shoegazing albums. It could be pretty cool with all the vocals and instruments morphing in & out... around the room.

Good call! Would happily give a limb to have Kevin Shields mix Loveless in surround

Rather than just shoot off a list of titles; I’ve decided to dig deeper into the albums that I really think deserve to be in surround and make a case for a remix. I realize most of these will never see a surround remix, but it also puts a spotlight on them for people who may never have heard these albums or may even be unfamiliar with the artist. I also know that music is very personal and heard subjectively, so some of this is just an outlet for my own frustration for the overall lack of public surround acceptance. (I’m hoping to be helped out with this when the new “INVOLVE SURROUND MASTER” hits.)
SENOR BLUES.jpg

First up is Taj Mahal’s album “Señor Blues.” This album won the Grammy for Best Contemporary Blues Album in 1997. Normally I don’t pay much attention to Grammy awards; but I believe this one is well deserved.
This album was produced by John Porter, who is one of my favorite producers.
Here’s the discogs page of his impressive production credits:

https://www.discogs.com/artist/150899-John-Porter?filter_anv=0&subtype=Production&type=Credits

Another great album that is produced and (I believe) mixed by John Porter is Keb’ Mo’s “Just Like You” SACD (which is a surround disc) and is one of my favorites to listen to, and I feel is demo quality. Ultimately if “Señor Blues” was produced in surround similar to “Just Like You” it would be another stunner.

https://www.discogs.com/Keb-Mo-Just-Like-You/release/8022523

Some notable artists contributing to this album are: Jon Cleary (tickling the ivory) and The Texicalli Horns of Darrell Leonard & Joe Sublett (hornin’ Taj.) Taj’s singing reminds me of a smoother version of Howlin’ Wolf with some of that grittiness, but smoother with more dynamic finesse.
The main criteria for me to like an album is how it makes me feel, its got to invoke some kind of real emotion from me. Weather it makes me joyful, sad, introspective, randy… it’s gotta have that “it” factor and “Señor Blues” definitely has it. I’ve spent years with the CD in my car and have a blast, because it’s a hearty sing-along album which I never seem to tire from.

Song highlights for me are:
Queen Bee – Mainly an acoustic piece that has a “World Music” feel to it, which Taj is also considered a master at. This song is much more complex than what you may hear from a first casual listen, with various instruments joining in later.
Señor Blues – A juiced up version of the latin blues tune by Horace Silver; very fun with Taj’s gravelly vocals.
Oh Lord Things Are Gettin’ Crazy Up In Here – A Jon Cleary gospel and jump blues inspired song that simply sizzles and gets – well “Crazy.” I feel that Taj makes it his own with this recording. Wonderful impassioned background vocals on this one also.
You Rascal You – Anchored with a walking bass line and lots of horns, this one just makes me smile.
21st Century Gypsy Singin’ Lover Man – I consider this one to be a blues anthem and arguably one of the best sing-along songs of all time.

“Señor Blues” always sounds fresh to me which is the sign of a truly great album.
I’d recommend listening on headphones (for your personal surround sound visualization!)
Taj Mahal is an American Treasure.

Last edited:
I'd really love to get "Kentucky Gambler", a 1973 album by Robey, Falk & Bod (KE 31796) in a surround mix. Recorded at Quadrafonic Sound Studio (Nashville). Sounds great thru the Surround Master.

i've wondered about that Quadraphonic Studio.. interesting that that album sounds good thru the Surround Master.. maybe its a stealth Quad.. or maybe everything they did was unmarked Quad!? :eek::unsure:

Tame Impala - Currents (2015) Produced by Kevin Parker
Michael Jackson - Thriller (1982) Produced by Quincy Jones
Los Fabulosos Cadillacs - Rey Azúcar (1995) Produced by Tina Weymouth, Chris Frantz
Pink Floyd - The Wall (1979) Produced by Bob Ezrin, David Gilmour, Roger Waters
Gorillaz - Gorillaz (2001) Produced by Tom Girling, Jason Cox, Dan the Automator, Gorillaz
Gorillaz - Demon Days (2005)
Produced by Gorillaz, Danger Mouse, Jason Cox, James Dring
Gustavo Cerati - Siempre es Hoy (2002)
Produced by Gustavo Cerati

i've wondered about that Quadraphonic Studio.. interesting that that album sounds good thru the Surround Master.. maybe its a stealth Quad.. or maybe everything they did was unmarked Quad!? :eek::unsure:

Actually, I've always thought that "Kentucky Gambler" was certainly a stealth Quad considering how well it decodes.

pink-floyd-pf005jf.jpg
This one would pretty much put an end to my surround sound buying, because I've got everything I want in Rock 'N' Roll during the 1974- 1977 prime time for artists just great music. Great to see most supergroups live in Detroit in the 1974-1976 span critiquing lead guitarists before marriage (move from Detroit). To me the cream of the crop hopefully after the 2nd batch of WYWH sells than we'll see this available in the 2nd quarter of 2019.
81M-u9SnmTL._SL1425_.jpg
This one and the other thumbnails that follow will definitely get my wallet out but I doubt any of these will be released in quad or surround 5.1 or even Atmos.
download.jpeg
Best Rundgren album, saw live 5 hour show definitely a top five guitar player who is underappreciated.
0000825367.jpg
Again seen them live numerous times starting with this tour, Joe Perry overrated guitar player. I know from seeing him live. Possibly a little to medicated during his performances.
61LNvRwvZAL._SY355_.jpg
Another that would get my wallet out hoping DV would possibly get this along with Get Your Wings, but I highly dought it they seem to buy the rights/License of titles I'm not interested in one iota. Too bad these 2 Smiths would sell out.
Let's make this a Six Pack
d382d174a70732c4d42770891d2aeacf.805x800x1.jpg
First album I bought of the Eagles, didn't like the earlier country crap, they got much more rockier with this album and of course the next. Did not see them live had tickets, but my mother passed the day of the concert 7/13/1994 gave tickets to my friend and his wife for the Tiger Stadium show. Bummer on both things.

Last edited:
I REALLY think it's HIGH TIME for the Rolling Stones [Organization] to step up to home plate and start remixing their classic albums into 5.1. That little tease SACD EP Sympathy For The Devil in 5.1 gave us a taste of what their catalogue would sound like in surround and instead they've NOW chosen to give us Japanese Stereo/Mono SACD remasters in that 'special' 7" packaging.....which is all well and good but they could certainly do better.

The Stones have announced their 2019 Tour Dates and yes, they're probably the oldest Rock 'n Roll Band in the world but let's get it together, boys and put that magic into Sterling 5.1 remixes!

rolling-stones-tongue-logo.jpg

Last edited:
I REALLY think it's HIGH TIME for the Rolling Stones [Organization] to step up to home plate and start remixing their classic albums into 5.1. That little tease SACD EP Sympathy For The Devil in 5.1 gave us an ample taste of what their catalogue would sound like in 5.1 and instead they've NOW chosen to give us Japanese Stereo/Mono SACD remasters in that 'special' 7" packaging.....which is all well and good but they could certainly do better.

The Stones have announced their 2019 Tour Dates and yes, they're probably the oldest Rock n' Roll Band in the world but let's get it together, boys and put that magic into Sterling 5.1 remixes!

rolling-stones-tongue-logo.jpg

Amen brother!!!:p

Dire Straits - On Every Street

Mainly for the beautiful You and Your Friend. Already imagining that lap steel guitar popping out of your left channel and possibly swirling into the rears. [emoji16][emoji106]

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Back