Which albums would you like to hear in 5.1 surround?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fingers crossed for Gong. Someone from the Gong appreciation society has posted a couple of messages on their website in the last couple of months, regarding upcoming official (band endorsed) reissues of the Trilogy:

https://www.planetgong.co.uk/outland/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1285

What to expect in 2018?

With continuing fair winds most probably this:-

A 4LP box-set with booklet
A 3CD/1DVD ear-book set.
A 2CD set with a limited single LP highlights version
A 15 CD Boxset with book and possibly stuff...

...and then 2019 is Gong's 50th anniversary...

If I said more I would have to kill you and then it wouldn't all get done.

And another, earlier this week:

We have HHH&G (Howlett, Hillage, Heyworth and Greene) working on it - right now.

Mike Howlett (bass) and Steve Hillage (guitar) were of course in Gong. Simon Heyworth was Gong (and Mike Oldfield's) engineer, and was I think responsible for the Anthony Phillips surround mixes, and recent King Crimson reissues.

So if the DVD in the ear-book set includes Simon Heyworth surround mixes, then life would be wonderful :cool:

More on Gong in another post there;

..and as for 5.1 - well not the complete trilogy in that format, but back in the day one of the three was mixed for those with 4 ears, so it was thought why not give it a buff and polish and include it...'

I'm guessing it's You :LB One of my favourite ever albums :SG

Last edited:
Looks like most of my wish list has been mentioned already.
Steve Wilson finishing off the Yes catalog (up to Drama anyway), the Rush catalog (starting next on Hemispheres of course and ending on Moving Pictures) and hitting the whole Hawkwind catalog (Yeah... but I can dream!)

I was just trying to listen to some Kansas the other day. Man those album mixes are abominations! (Sounds like instant FM radio fidelity. All of them.) Side 2 of Leftoverture would be just fantastic to hear in 5.1!
After that...

Ten Years After - Shhhhhhh (somehow mixed right even though Alvin Lee is no longer with us)
Mr. Bungle - Disco Volante
Pink Floyd - the 1973-03-17 Radio City Music Hall from the alleged multitracks made and the live surround mix somehow faithfully recreated.
Metallica - Master of Puppets (mixed by a Cliff Burton fan who "gets it")
Incredible String Band - Liquid Arcobat
Any Zappa! (if mixed properly and maybe start with Roxy and One Size Fits All)

I'll try to keep this short

The Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique
The Beatles - Abbey Road
Beck - Midnite Vultures and/or Odelay
CSNY - Deja Vu
David Bowie - Let's Dance
Devo - Q: Are We Not Men? A: We are Devo!
Dire Straits - Self Titled
ELO - A New World Record and/or On The Third Day
Frank Zappa - Apostrophe/Over-nite Sensation
Grateful Dead - Anthem of the Sun
Jimi Hendrix Experience - Axis: Bold As Love
Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti
Micheal Jackson - Thriller
Parliament - Mothership Connection
Paul Simon - Graceland
Peter Gabriel - So
Pink Floyd - Animals
Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings - Naturally
Sly & The Family Stone - There's A Riot Goin' On and/or Fresh
Steely Dan - The Royal Scam
Supertramp - Crime of the Century and/or Breakfast In America
Tom Petty - Wildflowers
Tool - Lateralus
The Who - Who's Next
Arcade Fire - The Suburbs
Bob Marley & The Wailers - Catch A Fire

Peter Gabriel's excellent PLAY DVD has several multichannel songs from SO. I found it at store that specialized in fire sales or bankruptcy -- one day I walked in on a whim and they had acquired a failed major seller of CDs / DVDs. We're talking thousands of each! A full-fledged feeding frenzy was going on, as you could literally get four for the price of a regular one.

Scored DSOTM multi-SACD (this was before I was into surround, and I didn't even realize I couldn't play the SACD layer), Gabriel's PLAY, and others. (But what did I overlook? <bangs head>)

We'll get ABBEY ROAD next year (we hope!), but I agree the need for GRACELAND and WHO'S NEXT is severe!

Peter Gabriel's excellent PLAY DVD has several multichannel songs from SO. I found it at store that specialized in fire sales or bankruptcy -- one day I walked in on a whim and they had acquired a failed major seller of CDs / DVDs. We're talking thousands of each! A full-fledged feeding frenzy was going on, as you could literally get four for the price of a regular one.

Scored DSOTM multi-SACD (this was before I was into surround, and I didn't even realize I couldn't play the SACD layer), Gabriel's PLAY, and others. (But what did I overlook? <bangs head>)

We'll get ABBEY ROAD next year (we hope!), but I agree the need for GRACELAND and WHO'S NEXT is severe!

Peter Gabriel "Play-The Videos" DVD is a surround audio "10"!

Back