Who has flac capability and Auro 3D?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FLAC maxes out at 8 channels. (So only 7.1 or 5.1.2)
Haven't come across any music in this format yet myself...
Any suggestions?

Wavpack (lossless wav compression) supports up to 256 channels, FYI. Not sure how that runs up against any encoding or restrictions.

I asume the threat is to play Auro-3D natively (not other thing upmixed with Auromatic) encoded in FLAC format.

Normally the native Auro-3D is encoded into DTS HD-MA and delivered via Blu-Ray.

But for downloadable files it seems that it is possible to encode it in FLAC 5.1 or FLAC 7.1, according to: Auro-3D files (embedded in 5.1 FLAC)

I haven't got any of this files so I have not checked yet whether my Denon (capable of mch FLAC and native Auro-3D separately) is able to decode it.

Eh....just curious. I have a reason...lol
I have a Smyth Realiser that offers me both Auro 3D and Auromatic upmixing. As you know, the approved height speaker configuration, including the directly overhead or “voice of God” speaker, for Auro 3D is not the same as the recommended configuration for Dolby Atmos. Aside from that, I can’t think of any classic rock releases in Auro 3D(and you’ve previously stated that you don’t use your surround system for movies).

I have a Marantz SR8015. I found I needed to play Auro-3D in .wav format (which is how immersiveaudio.com sells it).
I mostly stream to the Marantz via an Oppo 105D (via HDMI).
I think I was also successful directly streaming Auro-3D to the Marantz via ethernet (using a DLNA sever). I can test that if that is important.
I have not tried using files via USB though.

I have a Smyth Realiser that offers me both Auro 3D and Auromatic upmixing. As you know, the approved height speaker configuration, including the directly overhead or “voice of God” speaker, for Auro 3D is not the same as the recommended configuration for Dolby Atmos.
I have Atmos 9.1.4 speakers in the recommended Dolby locations (TOPS). And also additional Speakers (with cable switches) for the recommended Auro-3D locations (Front Heights, Surround Heights, Center Height and VOG). This requires not only switching the speakers but also reconfiguring the AVR: I have to reload from USB the saved configuration needed.

BUT, recently, Denon has "Opened" the Auro-3D for the people that has only "Atmos system". This way, Auro-3D can work with "TOPS" (in the ceiling at 45º) and the others Auro channels are redirected or imaged by the Tops. You can change from Atmos to Auro-3D in the Sound Options menu, without reconfiguring anything and with the "same" Atmos speakers.

Of course, Auro-3D does not sound optimal. First, the locations are not exactly as recommended and my Tops "in-ceiling" speakers (although good) are of inferior quality than the bookshelf speakers hanging from the ceiling that I use for 'true' Auro-3D. But this just enable Atmos users to play Auro-3D.

Aside from that, I can’t think of any classic rock releases in Auro 3D(and you’ve previously stated that you don’t use your surround system for movies).

Well, there is at least one Rock release in native Auro-3D that is very discrete with panning sounds: "Mando Diao - Ælita":

HiRez Poll - Mando Diao - AELITA [Blu-Ray Audio]

Perhaps is not "classic rock", but alternative or indie.

This is the only album for wich I spent the time to change the AVR settings and switch to the correct speakers for Auro-3D. I really enjoy the discrete moving sounds in full glory Auro-3D.

Other 'kind of rock' interesting releases in Auro-3D may be "Lichtmond 3 – Days of Eternity" or "Big Phat Band – The Gordian Knot" (also in Atmos). But as always..... Auro-3D releases can be counted on the fingers of one hand.

I have Atmos 9.1.4 speakers in the recommended Dolby locations (TOPS). And also additional Speakers (with cable switches) for the recommended Auro-3D locations (Front Heights, Surround Heights, Center Height and VOG). This requires not only switching the speakers but also reconfiguring the AVR: I have to reload from USB the saved configuration needed.

BUT, recently, Denon has "Opened" the Auro-3D for the people that has only "Atmos system". This way, Auro-3D can work with "TOPS" (in the ceiling at 45º) and the others Auro channels are redirected or imaged by the Tops. You can change from Atmos to Auro-3D in the Sound Options menu, without reconfiguring anything and with the "same" Atmos speakers.

Of course, Auro-3D does not sound optimal. First, the locations are not exactly as recommended and my Tops "in-ceiling" speakers (although good) are of inferior quality than the bookshelf speakers hanging from the ceiling that I use for 'true' Auro-3D. But this just enable Atmos users to play Auro-3D.

Well, there is at least one Rock release in native Auro-3D that is very discrete with panning sounds: "Mando Diao - Ælita":

HiRez Poll - Mando Diao - AELITA [Blu-Ray Audio]

Perhaps is not "classic rock", but alternative or indie.

This is the only album for wich I spent the time to change the AVR settings and switch to the correct speakers for Auro-3D. I really enjoy the discrete moving sounds in full glory Auro-3D.

Other 'kind of rock' interesting releases in Auro-3D may be "Lichtmond 3 – Days of Eternity" or "Big Phat Band – The Gordian Knot" (also in Atmos). But as always..... Auro-3D releases can be counted on the fingers of one hand.

I totally appreciate the compromises you had to make in order to access music in Auro 3D using your system. Obviously, confronted with the choice of building a fully compliant Dolby Atmos system versus doing the same for Auro 3D, virtually all primarily surround music listeners would opt for the former. I do find Auromatic upmixing to be the most useful feature of Auro 3D.

I totally appreciate the compromises you had to make in order to access music in Auro 3D using your system. Obviously, confronted with the choice of building a fully compliant Dolby Atmos system versus doing the same for Auro 3D, virtually all primarily surround music listeners would opt for the former. I do find Auromatic upmixing to be the most useful feature of Auro 3D.
We did a complete renovation of the living room, thus I had the opportunity to design the room from zero, and I opted to include Auro-3D, as it was just "a little add-on". I understand that it has been an exceptional situation and I feel privileged.

I knew that Auro-3D use would be marginal, but reading about Auromatic convinced me to "invest" in Auro. I too use Auromatic as the main upmixer for stereo and movies and TV, using DSU, secondary, for some music.

What I didn't know was the boom that music in Atmos was going to have. So I am very satisfied with the investment.

It's not possible to create 5.1.2 flac encoded files....
That is just not true. As I posted over on the MMH thread, there are many labels ( for example 2L, TRPTK, Sono Luninus, Alpha Classics, etc) that offer their Auro-3D in embedded FLAC files ( max 9.1 in Auro parlance, ie 5.1.4 due to flax’s poor channel mapping at anything more). The height info is embedded. My Sony X800M2 Blu-ray player (usb in) plays them just fine with my processor seeing and decoding in Auro native. My Zidoo Z9X cannot. Argh.

Yes, if they offer in MKVs then that is the preferred option but in 2Ls case their earlier Auro recordings are flac only.

That is just not true. As I posted over on the MMH thread, there are many labels ( for example 2L, TRPTK, Sono Luninus, Alpha Classics, etc) that offer their Auro-3D in embedded FLAC files ( max 9.1 in Auro parlance, ie 5.1.4 due to flax’s poor channel mapping at anything more).
Interesting... Are there any flac Auro samples? I'd be interested to see how MediaInfo reports their properties.

Back