Wish You Were Here?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkoolpe

Since 2002/2003
This sure would be welcome:

MusicTap reports that a WYWH (Pink Floyd) SACD multichannel may be in works. As with all of these reports, I'll believe it when I see it :rolleyes:

It says that the same person who did the mix for DSotM will be handling it so that is promising!

I'll keep my fingers crossed...I love WYWH even more than DSotM!

jkoolpe said:
This sure would be welcome:

It says that the same person who did the mix for DSotM will be handling it so that is promising!

I hope you're kidding, or you haven't heard the original Alan Parsons quad mix. WYWH has an already outstanding quad mix, no need for remixing by Guthrie!!!!! He understands fidelity, but not surround mixing.

There is no excuse for this title not being available on and SACD by now. The group should have rode the coat tails of the huge amount of press that the DSOTM project got and followed up quickly with more of their catalog.

When DSOTM came out, the title was allegedly changed from DVD-A to SACD, yet no more SACDs were produced of their other titles. A missed opportunity. A big one.

Give them DSOTM, then add WYWH in 6 months, then Animals, then AHM, and on and on. With these titles interest in SACD as a format would have been peaked to the point where it broke through to the "average" joe who would want to hear these titles in surround.

I think that PF definately dropped a ball here. Timing is (usually) everything.

Jon, I totally agree. A steady stream of PF surround titles would have the added benefit of keeping public interest in surround formats strong (or at least stronger).

Hi-Res Audio and Video; still waiting for Pulse 5.1 DVD that Guthrie had prepped at least 2 years ago.

What are they waiting for indeed?

I would rather they wait and get a better mix than DSOTM for WYWH. but I would love even a so so mix for Animals, as I never expected them to get to this one for years.

JonUrban said:
There is no excuse for this title not being available on and SACD by now. The group should have rode the coat tails of the huge amount of press that the DSOTM project got and followed up quickly with more of their catalog.

When DSOTM came out, the title was allegedly changed from DVD-A to SACD, yet no more SACDs were produced of their other titles. A missed opportunity. A big one.

Give them DSOTM, then add WYWH in 6 months, then Animals, then AHM, and on and on. With these titles interest in SACD as a format would have been peaked to the point where it broke through to the "average" joe who would want to hear these titles in surround.

I think that PF definately dropped a ball here. Timing is (usually) everything.

Agreed. Should have been handled like the Dylan, Peter Gabriel and hopefully the Elton John releases.

timbre4 said:
Hi-Res Audio and Video; still waiting for Pulse 5.1 DVD that Guthrie had prepped at least 2 years ago.

What are they waiting for indeed?

In the past, the rumors have been that James Guthrie was tied up with the 5.1 Pulse DVD and no more Pink Floyd 5.1 SACD remixes would be forthcoming until Pulse was complete.

With all of the talk about Animals and Wish You Were Here undergoing 5.1 remixing, that leads me to believe he has finished the Pulse project.

Pulse should be out late October, but don't hold your breath. I've been waiting for that one since '97!!! Brain Damage website relays this from EMKA, Floyd's management. This date is 10 years since the concert it shows, so I tend to think it may really be happening.

This is the direct quote from www.musictap.net FWIW

"It has been relayed to me by a very reliable source that James Guthrie is now in possession of Pink Floyd analogue masters for Wish You Were Here and Animals. We're talking 5.1 hi-rez mixes for SA-CD here folks. Excited?"

At least it may be in the hopper. "Welcome to the Machine" in surround. Awesome potential.

ss9001 said:
This is the direct quote from www.musictap.net FWIW

"It has been relayed to me by a very reliable source that James Guthrie is now in possession of Pink Floyd analogue masters for Wish You Were Here and Animals. We're talking 5.1 hi-rez mixes for SA-CD here folks. Excited?"

At least it may be in the hopper. "Welcome to the Machine" in surround. Awesome potential.

Mmmm James Guthrie in super stereo :mad:@:

rusinurbe said:
Mmmm James Guthrie in super stereo :mad:@:

Yeah, after you have heard the Parson's mix of DSOTM there is no going back. I think I have played the Guthrie version 3 times since I bought it when it came out. Guess we are stuck with Guthrie though. Something is better than nothing.

Guy Robinson said:
Yeah, after you have heard the Parson's mix of DSOTM there is no going back. I think I have played the Guthrie version 3 times since I bought it when it came out. Guess we are stuck with Guthrie though. Something is better than nothing.

Guy, What format is the "Parson's mix" available in? I'd love to get my hands on this and check it out. I don't have quad capabilities anymore(QS, SQ,CD4). I do have a 5.1 setup(DTS, DD,DVD-A, SACD). (Sorry if this topic is a rerun...)
This WYWH news is the best 'Hi-Rez' format news I've heard in months!!! This could be one incredible surround release if done right. Let's hope James Guthrie gets a bit more adventurous with this mix!!!
TimW

timw said:
Guy, What format is the "Parson's mix" available in? I'd love to get my hands on this and check it out. I don't have quad capabilities anymore(QS, SQ,CD4). I do have a 5.1 setup(DTS, DD,DVD-A, SACD). (Sorry if this topic is a rerun...)
This WYWH news is the best 'Hi-Rez' format news I've heard in months!!! This could be one incredible surround release if done right. Let's hope James Guthrie gets a bit more adventurous with this mix!!!
TimW

I will send you a message.

timw said:
TimW
My LP is SQ quad. Maybe there were other quad versions around, but the only one I know is SQ. Maybe someone has done a dts conversion?

I think most agree that the SACD mix of DSOTM is no comparison to the quad mix; for me, that's true especially on Side 2. We can hope Guthrie does better this time.

timw said:
TimW

The Parson mix was on SQ and british Q8. A WYWH done in the same way as DSOTM would be a no-buy for me. I already have the gold CD for stereo and the SQ for mch, no way for a SACD sounding excellent as sound quality but with a very disappointing mch mix.

I know the general consensus is that the Guthrie SACD mix isn't as adventurous as the Parsons mix, but I happen to like the SACD a lot. Maybe that's due to my liking alternate mixes of recordings, whether mono, stereo, quad, 5.1, what have you. It is very surround and pleasing to listen to, there is a lot of use made of the rear and center channels, if no quad mix had existed this SACD would have floored everyone, it only pales by comparison to the Parsons mix. WYWH at least in SQ is a somewhat ambient quad mix anyway, so I think Guthrie will do a fine job of it, even if it is different from the original. Now if they tamper with Atom Heart Mother, that's a whole 'nother kettle of fish!

WYWH is a great candidate for a high resolution surround remix, but I don't see a new JG mix beating the discrete Q8 version (by the way, the Q8 version is super discrete; the SQ version is another story). However, Animals is the one Pink Floyd album that I'm REALLY looking forward to in surround (even if it is not a super enveloping mix) since all we have now is stereo. Of course, I'm still hoping that one day the original quadraphonic mix of Animals will finally surface. I can guarantee that on that day, me and my four speakers will one very happy quintuplet! :smokin

Back