XTC - Oranges & Lemons and PS3

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neil wilkes

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Hi All.

I have just been made aware there are serious issues with PS3 devices not playing the latest XTC Blu-ray, Oranges & Lemons.
Apparently what happens is the loading screen appears, then everything goes black.
This only seems to be happening on PS3 devices, and as a result we have spoken at length to Playstation support who have also given me permission to summarize our conversations online, so here goes:

Sony have told me that there are 3 reasons a disc will not load.
1 - Damaged, dirty or defective disc.
2 - Region/Zone code mismatch (Zone B player will expect Zone B discs)
3 - Console system fault.

It cannot be an authoring fault - Sony have confirmed this as if it were an authoring fault then the disc BD-J package would not load on any players at all - and it definitely does. We have checked on Oppo, LG, Denon, Samsung & Pioneer players and the disc loads & plays perfectly.
It cannot be a disc error - too many issues for a manufacturing fault, plus again it would not load on other players.
It is therefore either reason 2 or reason 3. Several lengthy discussion with Playstation support have ended up with the following email from Sony, summarizing our phone conversations:
As discussed over the phone, we may have reasonable belief that there is an issue with your PS3 console registering the Blu-ray discs you mentioned. We will have a further look at what we can do to solve this problem for you. We're sorry that you are having issues playing the Blu-ray discs that you have purchased.

Sony have now escalated the problem, as they are thinking it is a firmware issue and that this is most likely simply because the disc plays on everything else - at first the initial statement was that Sony Devices started changing the way region/zone coding is handled on Blu-ray in an alleged attempt to stamp out piracy, and that a disc encoded to allow playback in all regions/zones is an unofficial setting and that the intent is to prevent any region/zone mismatch allowing playback. In short, if a disc is encoded to Region/Zone A it will not play back on a device set to Region/Zone B - and region free is unofficial & unsupported, and may not work. We do not accept this, and even if it is true it is not down to Sony to attempt to prevent region free discs from functioning. I said to the man on the phone that this has to be firmware related, and he categorically stated that Sony's security packages may very well refuse to play back a disc where the disc region/zone coding does not match the player region/zone coding and the fact these discs are region/zone free is irrelevant & that a lot of people were very unhappy about these changes.

Anyway - in summary please, please do not get in touch with either Burning Shed or Amazon as they will not yet be able to help but instead please report the issue to Playstation or Sony support. The more reports they get about this the more chance they will fix the problem quickly.
In the meantime, I wish to assure everyone that we are working with Sony Technical to resolve this issue & get a firmware fix for this issue and I will post updates here as I get them.

Finally, I would very much like to hear from someone with a PS4 - can you please get in touch with me via email or PM?

I apologise profusely for these issues but it is absolutely beyond our control. We are working with Sony technical, as I wrote earlier, and we will get a firmware fix for this issue as soon as possible.

Hi All.

I have just been made aware there are serious issues with PS3 devices not playing the latest XTC Blu-ray, Oranges & Lemons.
Apparently what happens is the loading screen appears, then everything goes black.
This only seems to be happening on PS3 devices, and as a result we have spoken at length to Playstation support who have also given me permission to summarize our conversations online, so here goes:

It cannot be an authoring fault - Sony have confirmed this as if it were an authoring fault then the disc BD-J package would not load on any players at all - and it definitely does. We have checked on Oppo, LG, Denon, Samsung & Pioneer players and the disc loads & plays perfectly.
It cannot be a disc error - too many issues for a manufacturing fault, plus again it would not load on other players.
It is therefore either reason 2 or reason 3. Several lengthy discussion with Playstation support have ended up with the following email from Sony, summarizing our phone conversations:
As discussed over the phone, we may have reasonable belief that there is an issue with your PS3 console registering the Blu-ray discs you mentioned. We will have a further look at what we can do to solve this problem for you. We're sorry that you are having issues playing the Blu-ray discs that you have purchased.

Sony have now escalated the problem, as they are thinking it is a firmware issue and that this is most likely simply because the disc plays on everything else - at first the initial statement was that Sony Devices started changing the way region/zone coding is handled on Blu-ray in an alleged attempt to stamp out piracy, and that a disc encoded to allow playback in all regions/zones is an unofficial setting and that the intent is to prevent any region/zone mismatch allowing playback. In short, if a disc is encoded to Region/Zone A it will not play back on a device set to Region/Zone B - and region free is unofficial & unsupported, and may not work. We do not accept this, and even if it is true it is not down to Sony to attempt to prevent region free discs from functioning. I said to the man on the phone that this has to be firmware related, and he categorically stated that Sony's security packages may very well refuse to play back a disc where the disc region/zone coding does not match the player region/zone coding and the fact these discs are region/zone free is irrelevant & that a lot of people were very unhappy about these changes.

Anyway - in summary please, please do not get in touch with either Burning Shed or Amazon as they will not yet be able to help but instead please report the issue to Playstation or Sony support. The more reports they get about this the more chance they will fix the problem quickly.
In the meantime, I wish to assure everyone that we are working with Sony Technical to resolve this issue & get a firmware fix for this issue and I will post updates here as I get them.

Finally, I would very much like to hear from someone with a PS4 - can you please get in touch with me via email or PM?

I apologise profusely for these issues but it is absolutely beyond our control. We are working with Sony technical, as I wrote earlier, and we will get a firmware fix for this issue as soon as possible.

Hi All.

Hey Neil, if it's any help to you, since I heard about this issue I tried out both the "Oranges & Lemons" and "THRAK" Blu-Ray discs on my Sony Blu-Ray Player (BDP-S3100) and all Blu-Ray discs play without any issue, so if the problem is indeed on Sony's end, it may affect just their gaming consoles and not their other Blu-Ray players.

"We have checked on Oppo, LG, Denon, Samsung & Pioneer players and the disc loads & plays perfectly."

I can confirm that it loads and plays perfectly on my Panasonic DMP-BD85.

Thanks Guys.
We have now got to 99% certain this is a firmware issue, and as such it is fixable. We will be talking to Sony Technical in the morning to discuss their getting a firmware update out for all affected consoles/players.
From what has been reported back to me here it all works on PS4 as well as newer Sony BDP players so it is something that affects certain players only and as PS3 is still regularly updated (the last PS3 update was to version 4.76 on 3rd September) I think we should be able to get a fix from Sony.

We will keep you all updated here, at Hoffman & on the Burning Shed Twitter feeds/facebook pages.

It appears, from conversations with Sony, that the most likely cause of the playback paroblems on Playstation PS3 & some Sony standalone players, is a firmware problem.
Confirmation of this comes, in part, from the fact that the discs play back on PS4 & other Sony Blu-Ray players.
Sony accepts that this anomaly makes a firmware problem the most likely cause on non-playback.
This issue affects the current XTC 'Oranges & Lemons' & Yes 'Fragile' discs.
Sony initially asked for customers to register the problem on a general helpline email address so that it can be addressed (details below)
However, Panegyric has written to Sony this afternoon asking them to clarify that a firmware update dealing with this problem is issued without further delay.
The discs conform to all Blu-Ray specs & should be playable on any machines marketed as being capable of Blu-Ray playback.
We will have further news on this tomorrow.

This will be resolved.

Hi Neil,

Thanks for your recent contact with PlayStation Support.

Following from our recent conversation, the following is a link to our help pages: https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/get-help/contact-us/ users can find a list of articles with information on specific issues, additionally users can find contact information for our support team.

This has nothing to do with DRM.

It quite possibly does, actually.
One of the reasons the PS3 is affected is because Sony have deliberately stopped certain disc types running on it to prevent so-called "Piracy" and one of the side effects is that even if you own a VIAO laptop with a BD-ROM drive & the Sony Blu-ray creation software you simply cannot write a disc in BDMV format as it will not play (unrecognized disc type) - this basically means any Blu-ray disc with menu support - when on a BD-R, so anybody who is even trying to make a home video with a menu using their legally owned laptop with legally bought software cannot play the results on PS3 and an indeterminate number of other Sony machines.
If the discs were bad they would not play on anything, anywhere and they do - even on newer Sony players such as the BDP-S380, BDP-A6000, BDP-S6200 (revision M21.R.0071) and the BDP-S3100.

What will help no end with getting this resolved quickly will be for anyone whop has this to please let me know what Sony machines it works on & also what Sony machines it does not work on and if they have an issue please get in touch with Sony ASAP.

I'm really glad I came across this thread. My main player is a PS3 and I was going to listen to this disc for the first time tonight. Good thing I have another blu-ray player (a sony also). Hope this issue gets resolved soon.

I have not received my Blu-Ray disc of "Fragile" yet (though it's possible that it could be in today's mail, which I haven't checked yet), but Burning Shed have already sent me an email saying that the "Fragile" Blu-Ray disc suffers from the same issue that "Oranges & Lemons" does as far as it's ability to not play in certain Sony players.
Based on the fact that my Sony player played "Oranges & Lemons" without any issue, I'm assuming the same will be true for "Fragile", but I'll definitely post back in this thread with a definitive answer once I have the disc in hand. :)

I have not received my Blu-Ray disc of "Fragile" yet (though it's possible that it could be in today's mail, which I haven't checked yet), but Burning Shed have already sent me an email saying that the "Fragile" Blu-Ray disc suffers from the same issue that "Oranges & Lemons" does as far as it's ability to not play in certain Sony players.
Based on the fact that my Sony player played "Oranges & Lemons" without any issue, I'm assuming the same will be true for "Fragile", but I'll definitely post back in this thread with a definitive answer once I have the disc in hand. :)

My Blu-Ray copy of "Fragile" arrived yesterday, and like the Blu-Rays of "THRAK" and "Oranges & Lemons", it plays perfectly fine in my Sony BDP-S3100 Blu-Ray player, so now I definitely think it's safe to say that this particular player from Sony is on the "good" list. :)

My Blu-Ray copy of "Fragile" arrived yesterday, and like the Blu-Rays of "THRAK" and "Oranges & Lemons", it plays perfectly fine in my Sony BDP-S3100 Blu-Ray player, so now I definitely think it's safe to say that this particular player from Sony is on the "good" list. :)

Ha RT that what Snood has BDP-S3100 and yeah works great :banana:

Back