YES - Tales From Topographic Oceans 5.1 - Reality

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All true.
Steve Hoffman is virulent anti-remix and that's fine with me but tim1954 or whatever his moniker, is a know-nothing Luddite on a pointless "mission".

Not to be condescending, which means that's exactly what I'm going to be, but the system spec'd in his profile was far from revealing and really it didn't matter.
I see Jim From West Virginia has started another thread on the topic.

FWIW, the SH SACD of Close to the Edge 2-channel and the SW 2-channel of CTTE were pretty much indistinguishable to me.
But Stevo doesn't do multi-channel so as Grace Slick once said, Fizz Him. :)

That's me and I'll forgive you for locating me w/ those bare-foot hillbillies from the state to our west. j/k, I have no problem w/ W.Virginians and I actually like hillbillies and going barefoot.

The original thread is back up and my replacement has been locked, which is cool. Just a little behind the scenes drama, we now return control of your TV set...

Not disputing any of that, We are trying to take the high road as far as other forums.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Taking the high road is always the best option. I've been mod on other sites and it was always what I wanted. Let's keep it that way here and we'll always be way more respected.

That trainwreck of a thread was so stupid. Got out as soon as I could.

It got to be a very low signal-to-noise ratio, but there was still some good things there. Maybe check back in now that it's re-opened; a mod told me they'll be keeping a close eye on the thread.

I left SH because I couldn't keep up with the volume, but I can see it's still quite the angry place. I seem to recall many recording/mixing/mastering big names leaving the place in the huff because they were treated badly.

Including Steven Wilson. But I disagree that SHF is an angry place. There is a wealth of info there and many, many great folks over there. It's a very small minority of folks who cause the trouble imo. And that's a result of having such a huge membership. But overall, it's a very very informative place where the fun far outweighs the grief IME.

LOL. And here I sit now feeling a bit hypocritical after my previous rant on that subject in this very thread. I wasn't going to bring it up, but when someone else did, I jumped right in. While it feels good to vent, this forum is not the appropriate place for that and is above that kind of pettiness. My apologies.

For the record, the original thread is now back.

I'm glad it's back, I was finding it quite entertaining! Those persistent comments from that Tim guy though were really confusing/annoying. He went on and on saying there was a lack of bass in the new mix, and saying that there must be a fault with the flat transfer as it wasn't very good, and generally criticizing SW's work. I don't agree with anything that he was saying (or hearing), and thankfully on SH virtually no-one else did either. But sometimes these comments can make you question your own hearing and equipment :confused:

I'm glad it's back, I was finding it quite entertaining! Those persistent comments from that Tim guy though were really confusing/annoying. He went on and on saying there was a lack of bass in the new mix, and saying that there must be a fault with the flat transfer as it wasn't very good, and generally criticizing SW's work. I don't agree with anything that he was saying (or hearing), and thankfully on SH virtually no-one else did either. But sometimes these comments can make you question your own hearing and equipment :confused:

I'm glad it's back too, though it had become pretty derailed. I was familiar w/ Tim from the SW CttE thread, where he did a lot of the same stuff, but to a lesser extent. He has an agenda for analog over digital and has long criticized SW's work for being done on a computer. He really dislikes SW's work- yet he continues to buy these releases???

I don't usually let others' conflicting opinions make me question anything. I know my system is merely mid-fi and these old ears have been abused enough that I know my hearing isn't great. But there are so many variables in what we hear- not just systems but the rooms they play in (which actually is a major component of the system in my way of thinking- and I have a very problematic one), our biases and the biggest of all- our perception. If I'm happy w/ what I'm hearing, I don't care if all of SHF disagrees, I'm happy. Not that that wouldn't give me pause, but it wouldn't be long until I reminded myself that when I'm listening at home alone, my ears are the only thing that counts.

And I had no dog in that fight anyway. Tim was talking about the 2.0 mixes. I've only heard the 5.1- and am in no hurry to listen in stereo. I am curious about SW's new stereo re-mix and the flat transfer, but the way I see it, I only have X amount of listenings before I start to burn out on the album; I don't want to waste many of those on the 2.0 version when the 5.1 takes the music to another level. The 5.1 mix is now the definitive version for me.

It got to be a very low signal-to-noise ratio, but there was still some good things there. Maybe check back in now that it's re-opened; a mod told me they'll be keeping a close eye on the thread.

Including Steven Wilson. But I disagree that SHF is an angry place. There is a wealth of info there and many, many great folks over there. It's a very small minority of folks who cause the trouble imo. And that's a result of having such a huge membership. But overall, it's a very very informative place where the fun far outweighs the grief IME.

Agreed.
It only takes one guy who is insistent enough... To me, the pros still outweigh the cons. I just avoid some threads like the plague.

Last edited:
That's me and I'll forgive you for locating me w/ those bare-foot hillbillies from the state to our west. j/k, I have no problem w/ W.Virginians and I actually like hillbillies and going barefoot.

The original thread is back up and my replacement has been locked, which is cool. Just a little behind the scenes drama, we now return control of your TV set...

Jim, Pal, Buddy.
I never meant to cast aspersions on your heritage.
I do have a glimmer of the of W.VA - VA dynamic.
Forgive me. :eek:

Jim, Pal, Buddy.
I never meant to cast aspersions on your heritage.
I do have a glimmer of the of W.VA - VA dynamic.
Forgive me. :eek:

It's all good Milt. As I said, I was just kidding. And there's no VA-WVA dynamic that I know of. But WVA does have the undeserved stereotype of bare-foot hillbillies. One of my best friends is from WVA and I often tease her about it, so I just had to respond as I did.

But your cultural knowledge is somewhat lacking if you do not recognize Charlottesville as the home of Mr. Jefferson and the University he built: THE University, UVA (my alma mater). Go Hoos! And also the home of Crutchfield, which was a retail store before adding 1st mail-order, then internet sales. Great store w/ a liberal return policy that has allowed me to get great discounts on about half my equipment through their tent sales where they annually blow out overstock of returned items.

Latest posts

Back