YouTube getting 5.1 support?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you think my viewers would be annoyed at having to turn up the volume around 20db for 5.1 content? I could try to add a text warning at the beginning, perhaps.
Any other ideas? I'd really like to begin sharing 5.1 content.
I think text warnings to turn up at the beginning—and, perhaps more importantly, to turn down at the end—would be fine. You can upload a separate video where you explain the issue and link it in the video description of your 5.1 uploads (and mention it in the opening text warning).

I read on reddit, that you can mux a stereo track into the video and that might cause the encoding to leave the 5.1 at normal volume. But the thread had alternate opinions and was inconclusive.
YouTube used to allow multiple audio files for one video, ...you could have a dedicated stereo track + a 5.1 track. Some YouTube channel owners used this as a way to create a TEST-VIDEO, ...so that users could check to see if they were actually hearing 5.1 or not. One track was "You are listening to the stereo track" and the other was "You are now streaming the 5.1 track"

With the way I mix, on some songs, the stereo mix-mixdown that YouTube performs is horrible and causes weird phase issues with what was in my Center channel and they spread it to the stereo pair. Because of this and the fact that sometimes I spend 3 days working on a single song, I wanted to upload my own stereo mix embedded into my standard 5.1 videos, ...just in case someone wants to hear my mix and doesn't have surround. Well, for some reason, YouTube would never engage the 5.1 audio IF I also included a stereo track, ...no matter how I muxed it, tagged it, etc. So I don't bother with trying to include an additional stereo track.
Do you think my viewers would be annoyed at having to turn up the volume around 20db for 5.1 content? I could try to add a text warning at the beginning, perhaps.
You could issue a warning, ...it's easy enough for listeners to pause the video right before it ends. The biggest issue you might have are ADs. If a channel has ADs and one of them pops up during a 5.1 video, ...it could give someone a heart-attack!
I don't have ADs that play in the middle of any of my songs on my channel, ...only sometimes in between songs if I'm listening to a playlist; my channel is not monetized though, ...so I don't know if they would try and put an AD or two on a 5.1 video on a monetized channel or if there's a way for you to choose not to have ADs on a particular video, ...if you have that option, I would disable them on any video with 5.1 content.

Maybe try using the “Amplify” function in Audacity to increase db level by 14 db before uploading to YouTube to get around it? Don’t know if this would result in any distortion since I never used this function before.

YouTube used to allow multiple audio files for one video, ...you could have a dedicated stereo track + a 5.1 track. Some YouTube channel owners used this as a way to create a TEST-VIDEO, ...so that users could check to see if they were actually hearing 5.1 or not. One track was "You are listening to the stereo track" and the other was "You are now streaming the 5.1 track"

With the way I mix, on some songs, the stereo mix-mixdown that YouTube performs is horrible and causes weird phase issues with what was in my Center channel and they spread it to the stereo pair. Because of this and the fact that sometimes I spend 3 days working on a single song, I wanted to upload my own stereo mix embedded into my standard 5.1 videos, ...just in case someone wants to hear my mix and doesn't have surround. Well, for some reason, YouTube would never engage the 5.1 audio IF I also included a stereo track, ...no matter how I muxed it, tagged it, etc. So I don't bother with trying to include an additional stereo track.

You could issue a warning, ...it's easy enough for listeners to pause the video right before it ends. The biggest issue you might have are ADs. If a channel has ADs and one of them pops up during a 5.1 video, ...it could give someone a heart-attack!
I don't have ADs that play in the middle of any of my songs on my channel, ...only sometimes in between songs if I'm listening to a playlist; my channel is not monetized though, ...so I don't know if they would try and put an AD or two on a 5.1 video on a monetized channel or if there's a way for you to choose not to have ADs on a particular video, ...if you have that option, I would disable them on any video with 5.1 content.
Thanks for chiming in MG. Appreciated.

Maybe try using the “Amplify” function in Audacity to increase db level by 14 db before uploading to YouTube to get around it? Don’t know if this would result in any distortion since I never used this function before.
It will result in distortion. The 5.1 levels don't have that much headroom. The file I'm testing with is a Kevin Shirley professional 5.1 mix.

I just use ReplayGain to make the 5.1 flac as loud as possible + no peaking with true peak scan. YouTube will normalize it to their target if it's above, but that usually doesn't happen.

I also use mkvtoolnix to mux a stereo flac + 5.1 flac into 1 mkv.

I wouldn't mind having to crank the volume to hear one of your videos in 5.1. I have to raise the volume whenever I listen to songs on YouTube's 5.1 Music Channel so it may be something on their end (and not yours).

I'm very pleased YouTube can deliver discreet multichannel videos. Over the years I have encountered unpredictable volume levels between different uploaders posting the same video content (movie trailers, for example). Many of my own uploads (non-surround) are not necessarily "set-and-forget" volume levels when listening to several at a time, but I hope most won't make others keep a tight grip on the remote. The "sucker-punch" disruptive ads that scream "BOO!", however, are more often a 15-second exercise in "where's the damn mute button on this remote from hell".

If I'm going to surf YouTube for surround-sound videos, I remind myself that I simply must keep the remote in hand, ready to mute in a fraction of a second, and be diligent, pay attention. If I just want audio wallpaper, I'll select a 3-hour "peaceful, relaxing, nature-type" offering.

Call me weird, but when I listen to surround sound, I'm all-in (all-ears) invested in that event. Don't bother me. distract me. don't talk to me about something other than the music playing (and even then, keep it brief). When I do get lost in the surround-sound afterglow, and experience one of those rude volume blasts after listening to a 5.1 video, the side benefit is a trigger that my bathroom break is past due.

I'm hopeful in time YouTube will incorporate (and correct) an upload process to raise the multichannel audio level without brick wall or otherwise noticeable compression. They would be foolish to stop improving the user experience. I get a sense YouTube technical teams enjoy a challenge to make it even better.

And to MG, edisonbaggins, and all that are uploading so many wonderful surround mixes to YouTube, I cannot thank you enough. More, please!

Cheers!

First 5.1 video upload, with textual warnings:
Metallica • One • With Jason Newsted's Bass • 5.1 Mix by Kevin Shirley • From The Videos Collection

This is my favourite song of all time and I am also familiar with the version with Jason's bass boosted (or is it someone playing bass over the top of it?). I have the videos DVD which is in 5.1 however how did you get a 5.1 mix with the bass boost?

Thanks

This is my favourite song of all time and I am also familiar with the version with Jason's bass boosted (or is it someone playing bass over the top of it?). I have the videos DVD which is in 5.1 however how did you get a 5.1 mix with the bass boost?

Thanks
This is just a rip from that DVD.
Kevin Shirley actually mixed the bass in, from the multis.

Back