Rolling Stones Goats Head Soup Deluxe Edition (with 5.1 & Dolby Atmos mixes!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm checking out the stereo remix on Spotify and I like what I'm hearing so far. "Dancing With Mr. D" still has that murky atmosphere, but the vocals are a lot more intelligible than before. Seems like the bass has been brought up in the mix as well. I can't wait to hear the 5.1 tomorrow!

I listened to a few tunes on shuffle play, using Tidal on my phone and the instrumental track stood out nicely. I was playing a round of disc golf...

Edit...it was instrumental Heartbreaker. Also a couple of the live Brussels tracks gave me an instant smile. Of course made me remember how good the quad Brussels bootleg is...

Last edited:
I didn't realize it had been reissued...but now I'm glad that I digitized my vinyl versions of all three of his albums a few years back.

All 3 albums got A CD reissue a few years ago on a label called Bad Reputation. A very appropriate name for the label because they were all brutally brickwalled. 🤬

OK. The album packaging is very nice, the 3 CDs are each on their own in slots on thick cardboard pages, the BDA is on its own page but in its own cardboard sleeve. The book is attached to the same outer cover as the disc pages, and I didn't think my copy had the 4 posters, but it does! There is a cardboard box/tube next to the disc pages, you have to open it and they're hidden in there.

You can select only the stereo or the 7.1 Atmos mix, there is no 5.1 mix (the sticker actually says fully compatible with 5.1 & 7.1 systems). There is a 'button' for the album, and there is another for the 3 bonus tracks (which aren't listed on the cover slip). My Oppo didn't like the Play button said it was prohibited but the album played (automatically), and the pause etc. worked.

So the first listen.

Album: It is not an in your face 'discrete' mix, the fronts contain the band and the main instruments, and the rears the supporting instruments. Often there is nothing in the rears just bit of reverb/echo then the horns will appear then the keys etc. I feel the rears could be slightly up in volume, but I wonder if some of that is down to how my Amp interprets the 7.1 stream from the Oppo into my 5.0 set-up (I let the Oppo decode and generate PCM, as my amp does not do Atmos). The Oppo reports it as 7.1 channels at 48kHz sample rate. Overall the sound quality is good, (bearing in mind that scarily it is a 47 year old recording) some tracks are better than others. It was recorded on an 8 channel machine in Jamaica and then worked on as a 16 track in the USA, maybe that is why, so one bounce from 8 to 16. I would say the mix is quite conservative - and I think that is deliberate so as not to alienate the uber fan. It sounds like the album but essentially split with band in the front the rest in the rears. So on my 5.0 system (4x Floorstanders & Centre) it comes over as front centric, but with the rears as support. I wonder if a true Atmos system will present it differently. Is it bad, no its good, is what we expected? possibly not.

Bonus Tracks: All The Rage, Criss Cross & Scarlet (with Jimmy Page) which are not listed as being on the BDA but they are, and in 7.1! These mixes are much more 'discrete' and more 'in your face' and I think this is because they're not on the original album. So I kind of wish they'd done a conservative and an in your face mix like the bonuses of everything.

Edit: Not sure how we can rip this to flac

Last edited:
OK. The album packaging is very nice, the 3 CDs are each on their own in slots on thick cardboard pages, the BDA is on its own page but in its own cardboard sleeve. The book is attached to the same outer cover as the disc pages, and I didn't think my copy had the 4 posters, but it does! There is a cardboard box/tube next to the disc pages, you have to open it and they're hidden in there.

You can select only the stereo or the 7.1 Atmos mix, there is no 5.1 mix (the sticker actually says fully compatible with 5.1 & 7.1 systems). There is a 'button' for the album, and there is another for the 3 bonus tracks (which aren't listed on the cover slip). My Oppo didn't like the Play button said it was prohibited but the album played (automatically), and the pause etc. worked.

So the first listen.

Album: It is not an in your face 'discrete' mix, the fronts contain the band and the main instruments, and the rears the supporting instruments. Often there is nothing in the rears just bit of reverb/echo then the horns will appear then the keys etc. I feel the rears could be slightly up in volume, but I wonder if some of that is down to how my Amp interprets the 7.1 stream from the Oppo into my 5.0 set-up (I let the Oppo decode and generate PCM, as my amp does not do Atmos). The Oppo reports it as 7.1 channels at 48kHz sample rate. Overall the sound quality is good, (bearing in mind that scarily it is a 47 year old recording) some tracks are better than others. It was recorded on an 8 channel machine in Jamaica and then worked on as a 16 track in the USA, maybe that is why, so one bounce from 8 to 16. I would say the mix is quite conservative - and I think that is deliberate so as not to alienate the uber fan. It sounds like the album but essentially split with band in the front the rest in the rears. So on my 5.0 system (4x Floorstanders & Centre) it comes over as front centric, but with the rears as support. I wonder if a true Atmos system will present it differently. Is it bad, no its good, is what we expected? possibly not.

Bonus Tracks: All The Rage, Criss Cross & Scarlet (with Jimmy Page) which not listed as being on the BDA but they are, and in 7.1! These mixes are much more 'discrete' and more 'in your face' and I think this is because they're not on the original album. So I kind of wish they'd done a conservative and an in your face mix like the bonuses of everything.

Does the BD have Atmos & 5.1 also?

So the first listen.

Bonus Tracks: All The Rage, Criss Cross & Scarlet (with Jimmy Page) which not listed as being on the BDA but they are, and in 7.1! These mixes are much more 'discrete' and more 'in your face' and I think this is because they're not on the original album. So I kind of wish they'd done a conservative and an in your face mix like the bonuses of everything.

Cheers Duncan for a fantastic review. 👍😎

I feel the rears could be slightly up in volume, but I wonder if some of that is down to how my Amp interprets the 7.1 stream from the Oppo into my 5.0 set-up (I let the Oppo decode and generate PCM, as my amp does not do Atmos).

This is exactly why I wish they'd included a dedicated 5.1 stream. There's no way to know if the downmixing process is somehow altering the balance of the surround mix in a way that the producers/engineers didn't intend. You could be hearing the audio information meant for the height or surround back channels at too high or too low a volume in the 5.1 downmix.

Thanks for the detailed review!

I just found this posted on the DR page
Analyzed: The Rolling Stones / Goats Head Soup (BluRay - Dolby Atmos 7.1)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DR12 -3.44 dB -21.25 dB 4:51 01-Dancing With Mr. D
DR12 -2.89 dB -22.07 dB 3:58 02-100 Years Ago
DR13 -3.32 dB -22.96 dB 5:54 03-Coming Down Again
DR12 -2.40 dB -20.72 dB 3:26 04-Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)
DR13 -2.39 dB -22.50 dB 4:32 05-Angie
DR11 -5.33 dB -20.74 dB 4:26 06-Silver Train
DR14 -4.94 dB -21.67 dB 4:12 07-Hide Your Love
DR13 -5.00 dB -23.09 dB 5:29 08-Winter
DR12 -5.12 dB -22.91 dB 5:31 09-Can You Hear The Music
DR11 -4.82 dB -20.60 dB 4:24 10-Star Star

This is exactly why I wish they'd included a dedicated 5.1 stream. There's no way to know if the downmixing process is somehow altering the balance of the surround mix in a way that the producers/engineers didn't intend. You could be hearing the audio information meant for the height or surround back channels at too high or too low a volume in the 5.1 downmix.

Thanks for the detailed review!
I believe it is possible though to merge the 6 & 7 channels to their respective side 4 & 5; and re-balance from there, just to see how it would sound. However may sound very close or the same as the 5.1 down mix. Shouldn't have to... but 🤷‍♂️
We need more time to let all this settle in for more of a consensus.

I experimented with 7.1 on my 5.1 PC system a couple years ago. Playing 7.1 on a 5.1 system in Foobar lost nothing from the rears. No need to merge sides and rears.

I did the test playing back discrete channel test tones. One for each channel. Even though I have only 5 speakers all the 7.1 test tones We’re heard correctly, except BOTH rear and side channels were heard in each side speaker. That is, both LS and LR were heard in LS speake, RS and RR from RS speaker.

So the first listen.

Music Media Helper (courtesy of Homer JAU) has an automated function that will downmix 7.1 MKV to 5.1. You can then rip to FLAC.
Music Media Helper (useful tools for Music Videos & MCH Audio)

Last edited:
Back