David Bowie: Ziggy-era Box out in June; Dolby Atmos Blu-Ray out in Sept!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did he say anything about the earlier 5.1 mix? Normally having the original producer involved in surround sound mixes is a good sign, but I've heard rather middling things about that earlier Ziggy 5.1 mix Ken Scott was involved in, and I don't know if I should expect the Atmos to be any better.

I bought the SACD on day of release and it remains one of the bigger disappointments of the SACD/DVD-A era for me. I haven't bothered to revisit it in recent years but it's what I'd call an "is it in yet?" surround mix: I remember getting up from my listening spot repeatedly to check if anything at all was coming out of the rear speakers, and while there was what seemed to be discrete instrumentation and vocals at times, it was so subtle as to basically be negligible - Wilson and Scheiner this mix is not. Maybe the approach was a philosophical one based on the idea that Ziggy Stardust is a 'stage performance' but based on this I was kind of relieved that Ken Scott never got to do a 5.1 remix of Supertramp's Crime of the Century because it would be monumentally disappointing to have that album mixed similarly.

I don't hold out much hope for this new Atmos mix to be a revelation either based on the new comments from Scott posted upthread about how you'll feel "as if you’re in the theatre with this amazing show going on.” because it suggests the same kind of mix approach, but I'm more than willing to be pleasantly surprised.

I bought the SACD on day of release and it remains one of the bigger disappointments of the SACD/DVD-A era for me. I haven't bothered to revisit it in recent years but it's what I'd call an "is it in yet?" surround mix: I remember getting up from my listening spot repeatedly to check if anything at all was coming out of the rear speakers, and while there was what seemed to be discrete instrumentation and vocals at times, it was so subtle as to basically be negligible - Wilson and Scheiner this mix is not. Maybe the approach was a philosophical one based on the idea that Ziggy Stardust is a 'stage performance' but based on this I was kind of relieved that Ken Scott never got to do a 5.1 remix of Supertramp's Crime of the Century because it would be monumentally disappointing to have that album mixed similarly.

I don't hold out much hope for this new Atmos mix to be a revelation either based on the new comments from Scott posted upthread about how you'll feel "as if you’re in the theatre with this amazing show going on.” because it suggests the same kind of mix approach, but I'm more than willing to be pleasantly surprised.
The “is it in yet” mix or mastered at “set to stun” are a couple of colloquialisms of yours Dave that always make me chuckle, but actually quite eloquently sum it all up.

I’m also a bit tentative regarding that Ken Scott quote - I never understand approaching a mix with regard to making it more ‘active’ towards the end. Just go full blasters from the get go. Hopefully it’ll be a good mix, there are a lot more options with Atmos vs 5.1 so fingers crossed they used them!

Saw the same comment and had the same thoughts on this. Always hoping to be surprised with this stuff as you, but I think I'll wait to order the BD until we get some feedback here (besides, not one of my fav Bowie's anyway- may the kicking begin :LOL:.)

If this standalone Atmos Blu-ray is indeed completely different from the one in the box—and the one in the box doesn't have the new Atmos mix—then it is a truly cynical move that would be the envy of Pink Floyd Records, or even EA Games. The box set should be comprehensive: if there's a new mix available, then it belongs in the box, too. Forcing fans who want everything to double-dip on concurrent releases is just disrespectful. At least Pink Floyd have the decency to wait a couple years before fleecing again. 🙄

If this standalone Atmos Blu-ray is indeed completely different from the one in the box—and the one in the box doesn't have the new Atmos mix—then it is a truly cynical move that would be the envy of Pink Floyd Records, or even EA Games. The box set should be comprehensive: if there's a new mix available, then it belongs in the box, too. Forcing fans who want everything to double-dip on concurrent releases is just disrespectful. At least Pink Floyd have the decency to wait a couple years before fleecing again. 🙄
I don't think it's quite fair to compare it like that. It's not hiding a mix behind an expensive box set, because you can already get the old 5.1 mix from the SACD release.

Is it silly and scummy to a point? I'd say yes, because I don't see why the old 5.1 mix can't be included in this new standalone Blu Ray, but it's not like Pink Floyd, whose digital versions of quad mixes are locked behind expensive box sets (and the Atmos of DSOTM was too for a time, at least in physical form).

I don't think it's quite fair to compare it like that. It's not hiding a mix behind an expensive box set, because you can already get the old 5.1 mix from the SACD release.

Is it silly and scummy to a point? I'd say yes, because I don't see why the old 5.1 mix can't be included in this new standalone Blu Ray, but it's not like Pink Floyd, whose digital versions of quad mixes are locked behind expensive box sets (and the Atmos of DSOTM was too for a time, at least in physical form).
My argument is that they are pulling the reverse by not including the new Atmos mix in the box set.

If the soundstage is frontal, like in a live performance, I'm afraid the Atmos mix isn't going to impress me much, even if it is done well, immersive and balanced.

For me, having reverberation behind and above and using minimal "motion" effects, doesn't add much additional emotion, because it differs little from a simple stereo with an AVR Upmixer.

But... If we were inside the stage, and Ziggy's voice walks both in front of and behind us, and even phrases or choruses emerge from the star space above us, then that is really more exciting.

There are so many traditional mixes where the vocals is always "in front" and only instruments sounds are moving around the room.

Atmos creative mixing (imo) should place different sounds around a sphere in your room and move the sounds, not only of instruments but also of voices, which is really amazing like when someone shouts you or whisper you from behind. The scare you get, at first, is exciting.

From the Bowie Facebook page:

Of this new Dolby Atmos mix the album’s co-producer, Ken Scott says “You’re in there with the act, with David. He was so theatrical I think being able to put him into an immersive place makes this a really good choice for an Atmos mix. My whole philosophy with this has been to make it more like a live experience. And I’ve even got him moving about the stage a little towards the end, the way he would have in real life. Hopefully, it just feels as if you’re in the theatre with this amazing show going on.”

This does not sound promising at all. We have the live show already, we don't need another one. That's not what this is.

Back