Keane - Hopes and Fears 20 (SDE BluRay #21 w/David Kosten Atmos Mix - moved up to May 10th, 2024)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm hearing a lot of seperation in the Atmos mix. Drums, bass, and lead vocal are usually nailed down to the front (though the vocal interestingly jumps mostly to the left side speaker at the end of "On A Day Like Today"), but other elements like the pianos, synths, and backing vocals are spread all throughout the room. The heights seem to be used more to lift certain elements - usually the pianos - though there are distinct parts coming from up there too.

In "Somewhere Only We Know," there's a percussive synth part that's only in the rear height speakers. "Bend and Break" has a distorted electric piano (or is it a guitar?) completely isolated in the left side channel during the chorus. Once the drums kick in during "We Might As Well Be Strangers," the piano shifts almost entirely to the side speakers (listen just to the fronts and there's only a faint bit of piano sound).

"Sunshine" is definitely a standout from a surround perspective, with the harmonies in the rear surrounds and synth moving between the sides. Those reverse vocal effects at the end of "Bedshaped" coming mostly from the rear heights is another really cool moment.

I've not listened to the 5.1 mix yet, but based on how the 7.1.4 Atmos sounds there should be plenty of activity in the back speakers.

The 5.1 mix isn't quite a 4.0 mix, but given how quiet the LFE and center channel are, it might as well be.
1716304396073.png

(Yes, there is audio out of those channels; it's just really quiet.)

Is this bad? Eh. This personally doesn't matter much to me, as the center channel and LFE aren't necessary for surround sound, but I think it's worth noting.

The audio playing out of the center seems to be bass and sometimes some synth work. If you rip it and amplify it, you can basically hear the bass guitar soloed, for the most part.

The only time the center channel is utilized to any significant degree is during a synth bit in the middle of "Everybody's Changing", which pans around playfully with the rear channels.
1716305430861.png

One thing I wondered for a few minutes is if the nearly silent center was an error of some sort, and I'm leaning no. The bass guitar seems to be coming out at a respectable level from the front two channels, and there's not any synth interplay between the center and back channels I was able to spot.

Question: Just finished ripping, have not played hard disc or played rip.
Bonus Track Love Actually is only 2 seconds, what is it and why?

Question: Just finished ripping, have not played hard disc or played rip.
Bonus Track Love Actually is only 2 seconds, what is it and why?
you might be ripping the submenu to play it rather than the track itself. It should be a full length track.

you might be ripping the submenu to play it rather than the track itself. It should be a full length track.
You are right, now that I think of it, I did not rip what I thought was the sub menu, but actually that is the bonus track, thanks for the tip, I'll go back and add that in.

This was already a favourite album of mine but I’m really enjoying the new mixes. As others have said, there aren’t a huge amount of layers on the recording but I think David Kosten has really opened up the mix with the dynamic ‘tricks’ applied sensitively to the material.

By the way, will there be a poll for the new version?

I look forward to listening to more but had time to quickly listen to my fave track She Has No Time, while it may not be reference material as far as surround mixing goes...it was fantastic to hear this song with wide open dynamics and being able to crank it up without the harshness found on the original stereo mastering.

I was reading y'all's posts including the Poll thread.
Here is the Wikipedia Link, quite fantastic reading, sales and band. I thought for sure I would read some more personal for the band but everyone's correct.
Without vocals a two man band, wow, that really makes the Atmos mix stellar.
This is my 2nd listen and like better than first listen.

Back