Stump The Pro

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Uncle. Who is it?

Basil Hammoudi, Butch Hauf and Alfred "Fred" Mönicks were in a band whose only album was released on RCA in the UK. Their bandmates went on to megastardom.
1- Who were those band mates?
2- What Group did they become?
3- What Group did the lone RCA album?
4- What was the title of the lone album?

I'm thinking somebody named Anderson. Could it be Lynn? Ian? No, wait, it must be Jon. It's either that or Philip Bailey.

YES!! Correct - Jon Anderson

• Prince Rupert Awakes from Lizard by King Crimson
  • "In High Places" from Crises by Mike Oldfield

And we may have Crises soon in surround! As well as Lizard...

Adrian Belew[btw he sang with both king crimson and mike oldfield too on his song Holy from his Earth Moving lp]

Adrian Belew[btw he sang with both king crimson and mike oldfield too]

True!! Forgot about Holy from Earth Moving... I have that....:yikes

I should have said "as a guest vocalist"...

Originally, they were called the Big Thing. After getting a record contract, they added a member and changed their name. After one album, they were threatened with a lawsuit, so they changed their name again. Who are these guys?

would this be one of your favourite bands - from a city you like/live in? And something to do with Transport? :eek:

Right you are, digital breath. I was at the concert that became their 26th album.
0000034544_500.jpg

A single off their first (Transport) album is my all time favorite track. It doesn't rhyme. What song is it?
320858256961.jpg
31eqJpnTwBL._SL500_SS500_.jpg
3782100106_c6c881c375_m.jpg

They did 9 albums on SQ/Q8. 3 of them were mixed for 5.1 DVD-A (1 was a test pressing, which I have.) 1 Quad album was re-released on DVD-V DTS "Quadio."

would this be one of your favourite bands - from a city you like/live in? And something to do with Transport? :eek:

Also from my town, in fact, my neighborhood, was the American Breed. I have mint, signed copies of their LP's. In the '70's they morphed into another band that released two albums in Quad. They too changed their name twice. What were their two names?

Bonus question: What was the American Breed's original name?

In '68, the title track was Billboard #5 and #1 in Chicago.
breedtwo.jpg
View attachment 9394

UK EMI Stateside single, charted at #24:
397-39-im-Cover-5678.JPG
The-American-Breed-Bend-Me-Shape-Me-493065.jpg

The group also appeared on the 16 December 1967 episode of the television show American Bandstand, along with Pink Floyd.

Currently available, a German compilation on Tiger Happy Records, The Uttermost Incredible Complete Recordings on 3 CD's:
5708901017329.jpg
View attachment 9395

The 1st name change was to "Smoke" then to "Rufus"who had a top ten[#3]. hit with "Tell Me Something Good"[I had the 45 when it came out back around 1974]......Rufus was formed from 2 bands the other was Circus.[also from Chicago]

WOW! I'm impressed! There was a third name, "Ask Rufus" in between. Al Ciner was the last original American Breed guy in the band.

Any one know American Breed's original name?

61blDu1okRL._SL500_SS500_.jpg
Rufus-Rufusized---Quad-569529.jpg

The 1st name change was to "Smoke" then to "Rufus"who had a top ten[#3]. hit with "Tell Me Something Good"[I had the 45 when it came out back around 1974]

Sheldon "Scott" English co-wrote Bend Me, Shape Me. He produced Thin Lizzy's debut album. He also wrote three other hits. Can you name the artists/songs?:

1- 1966 UK group #29 US, #14 UK. Simultaneously, a US group released it. That recording went to #37.

2- 1967 UK artist #14 UK (didn't chart in the US) Backup singer became a superstar in '71. Dave Ambrose from Auger's Trinity is on bass. B-side has been credited as "first heavy metal riff." IT IS NOT TO BE MISSED!! John Entwistle was scheduled to play bass on the B-side, but was replaced by John Paul Jones at the last minute. B side was written by Jimmy Page and features him on guitar.

3- 1975 (released in '74) US singer. It went to #1 in the US & Canada, #11 UK (what was it's original title?) In 1971, English released it under his own name and the original title. It went to #12 UK, #91 US.

Dates indicate highest chart position

Here's a couple Scott English compositions that are faves of mine, but weren't hits:

Don't Make Me Leave You - American Breed http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVbIUrwYKcc

Ballad of the Unloved - Raiders http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9D6X3g-MS0

The album was only released in the UK, but the band was German.

...Basil Hammoudi, Butch Hauf and Alfred "Fred" Mönicks were in a band whose only album was released on RCA in the UK. Their bandmates went on to megastardom.
1- Who were those band mates?
2- What Group did they become?
3- What Group did the lone RCA album?
4- What was the title of the lone album?

Back