Sly & the Family Stone Greatest Hits - 4.0 Audio Fidelity Multichannel SACD (October 2015)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL! Well, copy in hand...headed straight to the Oppo.....shouldn't be posting my very first impressions..but whoa....what a crazy Quad mix. Very active surround....excellent. Honestly surprised it sounds this good. But that's just first impression...

Dance To The Music...wow!

LOL! Well, copy in hand...headed straight to the Oppo.....shouldn't be posting my very first impressions..but whoa....what a crazy Quad mix. Very active surround....excellent. Honestly surprised it sounds this good. But that's just first impression...

Hehe.. :D ..well, you can't say we didn't "warn" you! ;)

They are crazily mixed.. but I reckon they're suitably "out there" mixes for a group that (somebody like me who came along after they'd had their time in the sun can only view these things as one would almost reading a history book, you had to be there to truly get it I guess!?) but one gets the impression in that context it must have felt like they were on another planet! What a band! :p

I'm wondering if AF have their sights on doing Surround SACDs of "Small Talk", or Sly Stone's solo album "High On You" that were both also mixed into Quad.. now that would be truly "out there"..! :eek:

Look...it's perfectly OK to post your first impressions...or your second or third impressions...c'mon....music is meant to be enjoyed....there is enough "analysis" on the forum...too much at times...like the man once said.."this ain't rocket science it's just music"...it's OK to be enthusiastic...it's refreshing to see someone enjoy something...we have enough detractors....

LOL! Well, progressive this ain't....funk and soul that's in your face...it is. Amazing. It sounds spectacular....

You and I both came from rock backgrounds.... and to be candid.... some of these progressive artists that people go crazy about on here I'd never heard of before I came to this website....I've expanded my music tastes and tried a lot of these bands..but when artists like the Doors or Sly become available they crush most of these prog bands IMO...

You and I both came from rock backgrounds.... and to be candid.... some of these progressive artists that people go crazy about on here I'd never heard of before I came to this website....I've expanded my music tastes and tried a lot of these bands..but when artists like the Doors or Sly become available they crush most of these prog bands IMO...

I have to agree..for the most part...I mean..if you want a big smile and toe tappers..these are superior. I was just shaking my head listening to Sly. Impressive, feel energized music.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to agree..for the most part...I mean..if you want a big smile and toe tappers..these are superior. I was just shaking my head listening to Sly. Impressive, feel energized music.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know that you weren't familiar with a lot of these progressive bands before coming to this site...we have both come a LONG way...if someone 5 years ago would have told me that I was going to be buying a lot of progressive music I would have laughed in their face...and I do like a lot of it...but when you are talking about mainstream music like Sly or The Doors it's no contest for me..

Last edited:
I have a conversion of the Sly hits in quad on DVD, but I don't want to listen to it right now knowing that this AF SACD is out. I want the SACD listening experience to be as fresh as possible.

Well mine was waiting for me when I got home last night *YAY!* but I won't be off from work again until Monday so I will have to wait until then to give it a proper high volume listen. Low volume listening sounds pretty good so far though (y)

What were the hits included on Small Talk, High on You, and Heard Ya Missed Me, Well I'm Back?

These are not really commercial enough albums to consider when there are Chicago's Greatest, Gord's Gold, or Edgar Winter's platinum album.

Don't get me wrong, I love R&B and made it a point to get High on You, and even a few hitless Curtis Mayfield albums in the collection. But AF needs sure fire slam-dunks with hits and crossover appeal for this 4.0 series.

Speaking of Curtis Mayfield - wasn't the "Roots" album on a horridly duplicated Q8 and Q4? I wonder what that mix actually sounds like?

There's a well-done transfer of Roots knocking about.. even though it has obviously had a lot of love and care lavished on it, it still sounds pretty underwhelming.. who controls his back catalogue?

And now back to the actual thread topic...Sly & TFS GH really shines in my car system (Sony MEX 2200 SACD player)! Especially on this gorgeous, unseasonably warm, fall day here in the northeastern hills of Connecticut. Windows rolled down, crankin' the tunes and pissing off the patrician folk of Litchfield County[emoji41]

Back