Sly & the Family Stone Greatest Hits - 4.0 Audio Fidelity Multichannel SACD (October 2015)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will seek a 3rd pressing of SatFS. I'd also love to hear BoF with the correct channel assignments. The mix does feel a little wonky and I wonder if the correct assignments would mitigate that to some extent.
I haven't got my grubby hands on BS&T, so I can't comment there. If anybody really hates theirs I'd consider giving it a good home!!! :)

I hate to say this.... because you are a well respected member and your contributions to the forum are vast..... but you are the case study for overreaction...I remember the meltdown you had on here over a problem with Burning Shed...which excels at customer service...AF is trying to make things right and this concept of yours that because companies don't make perfect products that it's a quality control problem is a simplistic overview of modern production...this isn't a single operation under one roof and other companies have made similar errors and not made any attempts to correct the problems...I would hope that you would tone down your rhetoric when addressing your concerns...like in the Burning Shed incident where your emotions took over.... I would suggest you not use the word "we" in your proclamations...because you don't represent my views and I suspect others feel the same way...using I would add more clarity to your suggestions..hopefully you take my input as being constructive criticism and not punitive in nature

I don't think I'm overreacting on my voicing my displeasure on the flaws in playback on audiophile product. The BS&T disc is great on the quad layer, but this is an album I do go back to the stereo on, and was quite thrilled at having a stereo option. This is especially important on this album given the use of single edits on the quad mix, often listening to the single edits leaves me a bit dissatisfied and going back for a listen to the stereo on those tracks afterwards. Yes, that one is a bit of a simple correction, with a minor adjustment on the balance control...but I'm a perfectionist. As far as my mindset on the use of the word we, my thought is that, if people wanted refunds, they wouldn't have bought the disc in the first place. Clearly the purchase indicated a desire for a disc of that title at that price, and the audiophile buying public generally doesn't want a flawed disc. So, to me, it seemed to not make sense to see a refund as an adequate course of action. But....that was my opinion, I'll correct the post to an I.

As far as the Mahavishnu disc, this one is a bit more difficult. When I play this disc, I want to hear the instruments panned as I've always heard them, I want to listen to the intended mix as was meant to be presented to us, and I want my swirls to circle (unless there is a case of someone actually wanting to mix an X). Yes, the audio is preserved nicely in a digital format, but due to the difficulty in ripping SACD, if one wants to play this back properly, it requires swapping patch cables around when playing, or if you use hdmi swapping around speaker cables, making this a rather inconvenient disc to listen to for those that care about the details of listening to the intended mix. The only other option is making a backup copy with use of ps3 (or obtaining one), converting DSD to PCM (adding a digital generation), and correcting in the PCM realm. So, I think my displeasure at the error is justified, and my disappointment in a lack of any response or recognition of this from Audio Fidelity when inquiring about it is also justified.

I've gone to great efforts here to try and be diplomatic and calm in my voicing of opinions here.

As far as your comments on the burning shed issue, out of respect to them for resolving the issue, I don't speak of that issue anymore. I felt my comments at that time were justified, but that's all I'll say on that.

I will seek a 3rd pressing of SatFS. I'd also love to hear BoF with the correct channel assignments. The mix does feel a little wonky and I wonder if the correct assignments would mitigate that to some extent.
I haven't got my grubby hands on BS&T, so I can't comment there. If anybody really hates theirs I'd consider giving it a good home!!! :)

If you can get a copy of the BS&T on Multichannel SACD - I'd say go for it.
Just excellent !

email sent
we'll see what they say!

I sent an email on Dec 18 to the email address quoted and received the following reply on Dec 22:

Hello Chris,

Yes, that is perfect. I will add you to the list for replacement. Once they arrive in the office we will send them out.

Happy Holidays,

Gloria Hemming
Administrative Assistant to:
Marshall Blonstein, President

The comment "Yes, that is perfect" is referring to the screen grab of the shipping confirmation from ImportCDs that I attached to the email. I asked whether that would suffice as a proof of purchase. So there you go!

OK, I have played this about five or six times and I voted 8. I am not entirely happy with it. I love the discrete sound. I am finding this title to be one that I constantly want to fiddle with tone and balance knobs. Some elements like the bass guitar are strong and clean, others like the front vocals and the hi-hat are muted to me. I suspect the tapes have problems from age as I don't believe the AF guys effed with it. I haven't pulled out my scratchy SQ LP yet to compare as my Squid 2020 isn't hooked up right now. I tried the mono mixes and maybe I just am not used to them, they didn't move me and if Sly doesn't move me I must be dead! I wonder if the remade disc would bring any improvements? So, my dropped points are on sound quality alone, the music is great, the packaging exceptional, the channels are discrete as I imagined them to be, just some of the elements are muddy and vocals seem to disappear without fiddling with knobs.

When I used to fiddle with knobs too much Mum would say "You want to find yourself a nice girlfriend.." - and look how that turned out! :ugham:

You keep fiddling with your knobs to your heart's content! :D

Ps. Are you setup for MultiCh Flac? I can send you a clip from the SQ LP decoded by the Surround Master if you want to refresh you memory how the SQ record sounds.. ? ...I think it might make you enjoy the SACD even more.. hehe.. :eek:

I just got this SACD from Amazon a week ago. Just finding out about the error. What is the error, and how to know what pressing I have? My disc is labeled AZ5 215. Sleeve is serial 1255.

I just got this SACD from Amazon a week ago. Just finding out about the error. What is the error, and how to know what pressing I have? My disc is labeled AZ5 215. Sleeve is serial 1255.

You have the original pressing. The corrected replacement will be sent out by Audio Fidelity, and the disc will be labeled AZ5 215-3.

You have the original pressing. The corrected replacement will be sent out by Audio Fidelity, and the disc will be labeled AZ5 215-3.

Forgive my ignorance here. Do I need to report that I have a first pressing to Audio Fidelity some how to qualify for the replacement disc since I didn't purchase it direct from their website?

Forgive my ignorance here. Do I need to report that I have a first pressing to Audio Fidelity some how to qualify for the replacement disc since I didn't purchase it direct from their website?

Yes, send an email to [email protected] with SLY REPLACE in the subject line. Include your name, mailing address, and a scan of your receipt of purchase within the email. They will take care of everything after that.

sly-3.jpg

Back