Sly & the Family Stone Greatest Hits - 4.0 Audio Fidelity Multichannel SACD (October 2015)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They sent me a replacement. Word is many of the replacement discs people are getting have the same issue. I haven't had a chance to verify mine yet, but I got a -2, so seems like I'm in that group. Lovely..... I really don't want to start saying bad things about Audio Fidelity, but at this point how can I not? They've made audible mistakes in 3 releases now, have indicated they will not be offering a fix or replacement for one of them, have said nothing to me of the other, and sent out bad replacement discs on the one issue they did agree to fix. And this is supposed to be an audiophile label? Typically audiophile labels pay attention to the detail of the quality of the product they release, and stand behind it. I'm sorry, but lately, Audio Fidelity is coming off more like a cheapo budget reissue label. Yes, they're doing great work, and the quad reissues are wonderful.....but, that doesn't excuse things like this.

Post 209 explains why your -2 copy still has an issue.
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...(October-2015)&p=274295&viewfull=1#post274295

The issue is being dealt with and it seems like this time AF is sincerely trying to make it right.

The other 2 issues are the balance being off on the stereo SACD layer of Blood Sweat & Tears, and what I'm pretty certain is a channel assignment error on the Mahavishnu Orchestra album, being that the circular pan is broken, and it doesn't match the SQ and Q8 versions. I think the minor drop out is also on my SQ copy, although I haven't had a chance to record it in and really examine it closely.

They sent me a replacement. Word is many of the replacement discs people are getting have the same issue. I haven't had a chance to verify mine yet, but I got a -2, so seems like I'm in that group. Lovely.....
Did you request a replacement or did they just send it out? Are you a member?

The other 2 issues are the balance being off on the stereo SACD layer of Blood Sweat & Tears, and what I'm pretty certain is a channel assignment error on the Mahavishnu Orchestra album, being that the circular pan is broken, and it doesn't match the SQ and Q8 versions. I think the minor drop out is also on my SQ copy, although I haven't had a chance to record it in and really examine it closely.

Yeah, that is disappointing and I agree with you that it should have been fixed. The number of errors of this type in general (on all labels) seems ridiculous.

Does anyone know what error they've found?

https://www.facebook.com/AudioFidelityCamarillo/?fref=nf

Audio Fidelity

Yesterday at 4:04pm ·

Re-press! Re-press! Re-press! Sly Stone’s “Greatest Hits”
Earlier we made the announcement that there was a defect on the Sly Stone’s “Greatest Hits” SACD layer that occurred in Authoring, not in the studio. That problem was corrected and a new master was delivered to the pressing plant. The plant sent us new test pressings which were perfect and immediately approved to proceed with production. Unfortunately the pressing plant erred and did not use the new master to manufacture this 2nd run of Sly Stone’s “Greatest Hits.”

Currently the third run of Sly Stone’s “Greatest Hits” is being manufactured in Austria and we hope to have the new corrected discs to you ASAP.

We appreciated your patience and understanding.
Kind Regards and Happy Holidays.

Are they offering replacement copies?

Audio Fidelity provided an update on the corrected Sly & The Family Stone Multichannel SACD on their Facebook page earlier in the week (see below).

"No need to return the defective layer copy. Go to [email protected] and use SLY REPLACE in subject line. Include your name and address and receipt."

Sly and Family Stone Greatest Hits - Repress - Dec 17 2015.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/AudioFidel...4508.189435747762762/1066506936722301/?type=3

No, if you use the above email they will send it out to you. I received #2 and just let them know I am interested in #3 (the correct pressing) when it becomes available.

thanks for the info, I got mine in yamazon.com and just sent them the info..will report back with what they tell me!

Yeah, that is disappointing and I agree with you that it should have been fixed. The number of errors of this type in general (on all labels) seems ridiculous.

My understanding is that Audio Fidelity is offering refunds on the Blood, Sweat & Tears Multichannel SACD for those concerned about the Stereo tracks.

I don't want a refund, I want the superior product with attention to detail and quality that should be reasonably expected from an audiophile label. I don't want to start anything here, but I'm absolutely baffled at Audio Fidelity's practices lately. When you have 3 releases with errors, and replacements with the exact same errors being sent out, I don't care who anyone wants to blame, there's a serious quality control issue with that company, that fact cannot be denied. I'll give them credit for replacing the Sly disc (although I don't understand how bad replacements can go out when it takes 5 minutes at most to throw one in a player to verify before spending the money to ship them), but to shrug your shoulders and refuse to fix an issue, and then offer a refund for those that are unhappy, and to not even acknowledge the channel assignment error on the Mahavishnu disc....it really comes off as just plain and simple not caring about the product, and not taking quality control seriously. I still love what Audio Fidelity is doing with quad and surround these days, and the remastering is top notch, and I'll keep buying the discs.....but my opinion on the company has definitely been lowered based on these things. Hopefully there won't be any further issues with the upcoming titles, which would certainly improve my opinion as time passes...

Last edited:
We don't want refunds, we want the superior product with attention to detail and quality that should be reasonably expected from an audiophile label. I don't want to start anything here, but I'm absolutely baffled at Audio Fidelity's practices lately. When you have 3 releases with errors, and replacements with the exact same errors being sent out, I don't care who anyone wants to blame, there's a serious quality control issue with that company, that fact cannot be denied. I'll give them credit for replacing the Sly disc (although I don't understand how bad replacements can go out when it takes 5 minutes at most to throw one in a player to verify before spending the money to ship them), but to shrug your shoulders and refuse to fix an issue, and then offer a refund for those that are unhappy, and to not even acknowledge the channel assignment error on the Mahavishnu disc....it really comes off as just plain and simple not caring about the product, and not taking quality control seriously. I still love what Audio Fidelity is doing with quad and surround these days, and the remastering is top notch, and I'll keep buying the discs.....but my opinion on the company has definitely been lowered based on these things. Hopefully there won't be any further issues with the upcoming titles, which would certainly improve my opinion as time passes...

I hate to say this.... because you are a well respected member and your contributions to the forum are vast..... but you are the case study for overreaction...I remember the meltdown you had on here over a problem with Burning Shed...which excels at customer service...AF is trying to make things right and this concept of yours that because companies don't make perfect products that it's a quality control problem is a simplistic overview of modern production...this isn't a single operation under one roof and other companies have made similar errors and not made any attempts to correct the problems...I would hope that you would tone down your rhetoric when addressing your concerns...like in the Burning Shed incident where your emotions took over.... I would suggest you not use the word "we" in your proclamations...because you don't represent my views and I suspect others feel the same way...using I would add more clarity to your suggestions..hopefully you take my input as being constructive criticism and not punitive in nature

Just think positively. In a few years, we can sell these "error" pressings on eBay for huge money!

Well I'm trying to keep it all in perspective, obviously its not ideal when product has errors or issues etc.. but its only the Mono SACD track on this one that's goofed after all.. I mean the Redbook Mono is still great, perfect in fact and the Quad layer is exceptional.. and besides, who can hear the difference in the Mono/Stereo SACD and Redbook layers on these releases apart from bats.. and pet cats..? :eek:

Last edited:
The heck of it is - at least to date, I would not ever have known about any "troubles" unless them being pointed out by others here at QQ. Which really means, I just generally wouldn't have noticed. While I asked about replacement options on this disc.....I really zero intentions of bothering. Luckily, I just don't care about the mono tracks. It would have to be flawed to the max before I would seek replacements.

Back