YES - Tales From Topographic Oceans 5.1 - Reality

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Bluray will be here tomorrow. Can't wait to have 3 or 12 beers and blast this mother fucker!!!

This is a great mix. I'm not very familiar with the album but the Steven Wilson mix is exemplary and really suits the music. A"10" from me. :banana:

It has multichannel versions of both the normal length song and the song with the intro :). I have read that the version here with the extended intro (called Dance of the Dawn) is different to the Rhino version from a few years ago, but I haven't had time to compare them yet.

I compared. The extended opening is the same. There are two instrumental sections which are a few bars (1 or 2) longer than what's on any previous version. Interesting but not essential.

Will have mine tomorrow on Friday from Amazon.com. I have always loved this album. One of my most anticipated surround remixes since the start of 5.1 music releases, this along with Thick as a Brick, Court of the Crimson King, Brain Salad Surgery, Fragile, Dark Side of the Moon, Quadrophenia and Night at the Opera as these albums make up a core group of albums that I can listen to over and over and never grow tired of! I am ecstatic that tales is finally joining this group in surround too!
Having said that there are a few totally unanticipated-unexpected albums that came to life in 5.1 that will sit comfortably within this group now, Drums and Wires, Power and the Glory (the template that every surround release should aspire to be...this one was just stunning in every way!) and I have to include the Chicago Quadio box set. This would make up my top 10 + 1 desert Island surround recordings, granted Chicago is a bit of a cheat at number 11 with nine albums included but I couldn't live on that island without it, it's just that good! And don't even let me get started on the albums I want but suspect will never get in surround...Zep anyone...oh the agony!

If you're still on the fence, Import CDs now has this listed at $23.99 + $2.99 S&H = $26.98. I don't think you'll find it for less. http://www.importcds.com/tales-from-topographic-oceans-expanded-edition/633367901026

Yeah, I was waiting on the release date so it would ship with some other stuff I wanted to order. So last night I placed my order and was pissed when Tales went from pre-order when I put it in my cart to BACKORDERED when I checked out (Importcds). And I was waiting because of the good price with Importcds. Oh well, even though I'm a huge Yes fan, this title was one that never really moved me like their other stuff from the 70's. I'm hoping the surround mix will give me a renewed interest in this album. So now the waiting begins......

Last edited:
Since today is the official release date, a poll will be up shortly, but before it goes up, I implore of all of you, PLEASE:

Do NOT vote (or post) in the poll thread until you actually have the disc and have heard it! (I know I should not have to say this, but I know this forum all too well…)

Thanks! :)

Something I would suggest to those who are NOT familiar with this record is that they should listen to the original stereo version 1st then check out the 5.1 version. I think it will give them a better understanding of what is going on with this thing because it is a monster to take in.

It has arrived! I've listened thus far to sides one and two and could not be more pleased. Gorgeousness and gorgeousity. :music

This is such a fine release. Surround sound was made for Yes, and Prog Rock in general. Steven Wilson does another superb job. This also comes with better packaging than the previous Yes Blu Rays. I of course will never listen to all the different choices but so nice to see what a Blu Ray is capable of. Menu works easy and perfect. I especially like The Ancient, sounds so coll with the bells and chimes.
I will be most happy when Trevor Rabin's Yes gets the full treatment. But this is great. DTS Master HD 24/96, 5.1 at 62db.

- - - Updated - - -

This is such a fine release. Surround sound was made for Yes, and Prog Rock in general. Steven Wilson does another superb job. This also comes with better packaging than the previous Yes Blu Rays. I of course will never listen to all the different choices but so nice to see what a Blu Ray is capable of. Menu works easy and perfect. I especially like The Ancient, sounds so coll with the bells and chimes.
I will be most happy when Trevor Rabin's Yes gets the full treatment. But this is great. DTS Master HD 24/96, 5.1 at 62db.

If you're expecting Steven Wilson to remix 80s Yes albums ("90125", "Big Generator", etc.) you're gonna be waiting a long time for that...
Steven Wilson is no fan of Rabin-era Yes.
But I am! I've been listening to "90125" a lot lately in preparation for the Anderson Rabin Wakeman show in November. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're expecting Steven Wilson to remix 80s Yes albums ("90125", "Big Generator", etc.) you're gonna be waiting a long time for that...
But I am! I've been listening to "90125" a lot lately in preparation for the Anderson Rabin Wakeman show in November. :)

Those are 2 kooooooooo albums Snood Likey :banana:

The setlist I saw for the 1st ARW show was surprisingly light on Rabin-era songs; only 4 (but 3 from 90125)! And many of the "usual suspects" for a Yes setlist.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/arw-anderson-rabin-wakeman-setlist.604323/

Even though I personally much prefer Howe to Rabin, seems very strange to get him on board only to play mostly Steve's tunes. Some speculation in that thread that Jon may be trying to wrest the Yes name from Steve...

The setlist I saw for the 1st ARW show was surprisingly light on Rabin-era songs; only 4 (but 3 from 90125)! And many of the "usual suspects" for a Yes setlist.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/arw-anderson-rabin-wakeman-setlist.604323/

Even though I personally much prefer Howe to Rabin, seems very strange to get him on board only to play mostly Steve's tunes. Some speculation in that thread that Jon may be trying to wrest the Yes name from Steve...

I don't really care that much about the particulars of the ARW setlist. I'm just excited by the fact that this will be the first time I get to hear Jon & Rick play and sing Yes music, something that I have waited 8 long years to hear!
And yes, of course Jon is trying to wrestle the Yes legacy away from Steve (& Alan), but as most of us will attest, Yes is only at its very best when Jon, Steve, Alan, and Rick are together, and not split apart. :)

- - - Updated - - -

I don't really care that much about the particulars of the ARW setlist. I'm just excited by the fact that this will be the first time I get to hear Jon & Rick play and sing Yes music, something that I have waited 8 long years to hear!
And yes, of course Jon is trying to wrestle the Yes legacy away from Steve (& Alan), but as most of us will attest, Yes is only at its very best when Jon, Steve, Alan, and Rick are together, and not split apart. :)

Well, that's a horse of a different color (albeit w/ a name and outta the desert). Actually, you might prefer the classic setlist, seeing Jon and Rick doing more songs they were originally on. Why 8 years? Is that the length of your Yes fandom?

Personally, as much as I love Rick, I think he is not essential to Yes being great- though obviously they're better w/ him. And Alan is not crucial (esp. now); many would say Yes was at their best when BB was behind the kit. I've long thought that the indispensable 3 were Jon, Chris, then Steve. But I'm one of those curmudgeonly "no Jon, no Yes." Even if Jon and Steve patched their differences and came together again in Yes, it would still not be real Yes w/o Chris (though I would go see that band, as opposed to the Jon-less Yes). Not just his sound, but Chris was the propulsive center of the music imo. As much as I love Howe's playing and am enamored by his technique, in all the Yesshows I saw, I often had to remind myself to check out Steve, b/c I was so drawn to Chris. I felt his loss more than any other performer, w/ the exception of Jerry G.

Hope you have a blast seeing ARW. I'm anxiously awaiting Tales- mine's been stuck in KY since Thurs.! I've always expected this to be great- and from what I've been reading about it, it sounds like it will even exceed my high expectations.

Well, that's a horse of a different color (albeit w/ a name and outta the desert). Actually, you might prefer the classic setlist, seeing Jon and Rick doing more songs they were originally on. Why 8 years? Is that the length of your Yes fandom?

Personally, as much as I love Rick, I think he is not essential to Yes being great- though obviously they're better w/ him. And Alan is not crucial (esp. now); many would say Yes was at their best when BB was behind the kit. I've long thought that the indispensable 3 were Jon, Chris, then Steve. But I'm one of those curmudgeonly "no Jon, no Yes." Even if Jon and Steve patched their differences and came together again in Yes, it would still not be real Yes w/o Chris (though I would go see that band, as opposed to the Jon-less Yes). Not just his sound, but Chris was the propulsive center of the music imo. As much as I love Howe's playing and am enamored by his technique, in all the Yesshows I saw, I often had to remind myself to check out Steve, b/c I was so drawn to Chris. I felt his loss more than any other performer, w/ the exception of Jerry G.

Hope you have a blast seeing ARW. I'm anxiously awaiting Tales- mine's been stuck in KY since Thurs.! I've always expected this to be great- and from what I've been reading about it, it sounds like it will even exceed my high expectations.

I first became a fan of Yes in 2007, when they were still on hiatus. I bought a ticket for the 2008 summer tour (with Jon, that was eventually cancelled) and then proceeded to go to 6 Yes concerts with Chris, Steve, & Alan playing from late 2008 to 2012. Some were great, and some were not so great, but this (ARW) is something different and unique, and that's why I'm going.

I also agree that Yes were at their best with Bill Bruford (and Rick there too) but since Bill has long since retired from playing music, Alan is the guy!
Maybe one day, everything will come together again, but for now, I'm just glad Jon & Rick are touring together again! :)

I've been lucky enough to see Yes once with Anderson and Wakeman in the band back in 2003 when they did their 35th Anniversary tour to Australia. What an amazing night that was, travelling over to Sydney from NZ at the time. I remember the Southside of the Sky duel between Wakeman and Howe quite fondly next to Awaken being played later in the set. Jon Davison, while decent and a nice guy in his own right, still ain't the genuine article, and much can be said for Downes too. I too have always been a Bruford guy through and through. Shame I'll never get to see him perform, but his retirement is well earned without a doubt.

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

Been a fan since 1974-ish. Going to see AWR in a few weeks. Wouldn't go to see the current YES line up if you offered me a free ticket.

I think I've discovered a major flaw in this otherwise fine release. The track titled "Dance of the Dawn (Studio Run-Through)" is no such thing. It is simply a remastered version of "The Revealing Science of God" from the Rhino TFTO CD. I even lined the two versions up in Adobe Audition and they stay in perfect sync from start to finish. This is true for both the CD and the blu-ray. The Rhino TFTO actually has the studio run through, so I know what it's supposed to sound like.

If I am right (and maybe I'm comparing the wrong tracks), I am somewhat surprised by this.

Back