Steven Wilson King Crimson in Atmos! ("Larks Tongues" 2CD/2BD set coming in October!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got s shipping notice from Importcds on friday around noon, and it arrived a little after 2pm today. That's about the fastest I've ever gotten something from them but I'm not complaining. First listen - LTIA parts 1 and 2 have never sounded better than in this Atmos mix. :)

Anyone here into Carver Sonic Holography? If you are, the notes at the bottom of this page in the new Larks' booklet will be of interest to you.

Those without SH can get a feel what these mixes would sound like in SH with headphones - SH makes stereo three dimensional and sound like what you hear in headphones.

The images in these new stereo mixes appear in an arc that is about 170 degrees wide in front of the listening position. Also, much of the music appears between the listener and the speakers - some intruments were so close I flinched. These mixes are different and really unusual.

Attachments

• 20231023_213922.jpg
    20231023_213922.jpg
    584.6 KB · Views: 0
Little faith ? :p I like to think is was "trust but verify" . :LOL:
I might be of little faith but now I am of lot of copy of Larks. I got the notification from Burning Shed, So I immediately emailed importcds to cancel my order and then a little later I got a shipping notification from importcds. Oh well, at least with importcds, I should have mine by Thursday. As stated Burning Shed does a great job but when it gets over the pond, the package seems to do a week residency in Cook County, Illinois before heading to Northeast, Ohio. The shed copy might be a Christmas present for my nephew Beau.

I got the same ship notification from importcds, so here I am with a second copy again. :ROFLMAO:

I should have listened to Hawkwind: Do Not Panic!
But of course the next line is: Think Only of Yourself!

For some reason, looking at this forum every day gets me all jacked up and impatient. 😵‍💫 🤑

I got the same ship notification from importcds, so here I am with a second copy again. :ROFLMAO:

I should have listened to Hawkwind: Do Not Panic!
But of course the next line is: Think Only of Yourself!

For some reason, looking at this forum every day gets me all jacked up and impatient. 😵‍💫 🤑
Me too! I get all jacked up. I get jacked up when orders are not sent near or on release date. Or when it takes forever for vendors to list items for pre-order.

As far as I can tell, these are completely new mixes. The ATMOS mix makes excellent use of the ATMOS speakers. The real revelation to me, though, was the adventurous new stereo mix. Much wider and seems to have much improved fidelity. Excellent all around.

Last edited:
As far as I can tell, these are completely news mixes. The ATMOS mix makes excellent use of the ATMOS speakers. The real revelation to me, though, was the adventurous new stereo mix. Much wider and seems to have much improved fidelity. Excellent all around.
I know the atmos mix is different. Just wondering if the 5.1 mixes are different.

I just finished ripping Blu Ray 1 (Surround and Stereo), very easy, but Blu Ray 2 (Stereo Only) was quite a workout, all good and tidy now.
MKV and MMH is a must for tagging.

Peer pressure wins again. I was going to pass on this one (I already have the previous 5.1 DVD-A) but, naturally, my fellow addicts help me to see the light.
Plus it's only $37 on Amazon right now. So, WTF? The price is right.

I know the atmos mix is different. Just wondering if the 5.1 mixes are different.
Yes, the 5.1 is also a new mix. I've compared Easy Money for now, and they are indeed quite different.
Check the centre channel, in the 2012 mix there's a bell, but nothing for the first few seconds in the 2023 mix. Rear channels don't seem to be as engaged as the 2012 mix. I'm just comparing bits and pieces in Audacity by listening to individual channels. This is by no means a comparison of how the two mixes sound in surround. Just to say: they are different.

The 2023 5.1 mix follows the same approach of the Stereo and Atmos mixes. It's more faithful to the original (for good and bad). The vocals are too low at times, as well as some sound effects that were fixed in the 2012 mixes.

I've enjoyed the Atmos mix. It's very quiet and dynamic so it needs to be listened to at a good volume. Quite an experience. The only drawback was that the 2012 mix was ingrained in my mind, and I was expecting sounds to come from specific speakers and that didn't happen. Usual memory stuff that we go through everytime we are very familiar with a specific mix: the new always sounds 'not right'. But it's an amazing Atmos mix and I'm sure that a second listen will be even more enjoyable.

I’ve listened to the new stereo and Atmos mixes one more time, and now I’m completely in love with these new versions.

Larks has always been a very dynamic album with many quiet passages alternated by loud and powerful moments of climax. The 2023 mixes render this aspect much better than the 2012 mixes, which took a more modern approach instead. Instruments are now placed exactly where they are in the original mix without revisionism, and also the intro of Easy Money (where Wetton starts singing at the guitar note) has been restored to the original setting. The atmos mix is very discrete and uses all the channels effectively but it’s also immersive and cohesive. In comparison, the 2012 5.1 mix sounds a bit disjointed, but this is a very minor thing.

The sequence from Easy Money to Larks Part 2 is the highlight of the mix, and it’s so dynamic and immersive that towards the end of Larks 2 I felt like when watching a horror movie, with scary sound effects, guitars and violin coming from behind and above me.

In my opinion, this is a must own like The Dark Side or Kraftwerk 3D. King Crimson is not to everyone’s taste but it’s my favourite band, so this is going up there in the top demo material. Just waiting for a poll to cast my vote :). You can guess what’s going to be.

I’ve listened to the new stereo and Atmos mixes one more time, and now I’m completely in love with these new versions.

Larks has always been a very dynamic album with many quiet passages alternated by loud and powerful moments of climax. The 2023 mixes render this aspect much better than the 2012 mixes, which took a more modern approach instead. Instruments are now placed exactly where they are in the original mix without revisionism, and also the intro of Easy Money (where Wetton starts singing at the guitar note) has been restored to the original setting. The atmos mix is very discrete and uses all the channels effectively but it’s also immersive and cohesive. In comparison, the 2012 5.1 mix sounds a bit disjointed, but this is a very minor thing.

The sequence from Easy Money to Larks Part 2 is the highlight of the mix, and it’s so dynamic and immersive that towards the end of Larks 2 I felt like when watching a horror movie, with scary sound effects, guitars and violin coming from behind and above me.

In my opinion, this is a must own like The Dark Side or Kraftwerk 3D. King Crimson is not to everyone’s taste but it’s my favourite band, so this is going up there in the top demo material. Just waiting for a poll to cast my vote :). You can guess what’s going to be.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...sary-edition-blu-ray-audio-dolby-atmos.34994/

Back