King Crimson--List Your Top 5

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clement

Stay Surrounded, Comrades!
QQ Supporter
@Daniel John 's recent thread, Yes - List Your Top 5 albums, strikes me as such a great idea and has elicited so many wonderful responses; I thought I would start a few more threads for bands that have a similar longevity and even more of their output available in multichannel magic. So here are my top 5 for King Crimson, in both order of preference and chronological order (click on album title to link to QQ poll threads):

1) In the Court of the Crimson King (1969): My first King Crimson purchase back in 1975 when I was a freshman in high school. It was the album cover that did it for me; I couldn’t resist. The owner of the local record store, clearly thinking I was hipper than I was, gave me a knowing nod when I paid with my hard-earned cash. I’ll never forget my first listen to the album--absolutely transcendent! I had NO idea such depth and breadth were possible. One of the all-time great opening salvos from a band. This masterpiece establishes the template for future exemplars: the juxtaposition of songs of virtuoso sonic assault and those of heartbreaking beauty, always straddling the lines, blurring the boundaries, and redefining the understanding of genres. A statement for the ages--one that changed the face of music and the way I listen to it, elevating popular culture to the realm of Art. Steve Wilson’s 50th anniversary mix was my top release of 2019.

2) Red (1974): Both Larks’ Tongues in Aspic and Starless and Bible Black are revelations that I can’t imagine being without, but Red takes the next spot for several reasons. Basically the work of one of the greatest power trios (what a sound!), the album does feature some choice blasts from the past in appearances from Mel Collins (saxophones [and more] on In the Wake of Poseidon, Lizard, Islands, Earthbound), Ian McDonald (saxophones [and more] on ItCotCK, ItWoP), Marc Charig (cornet on Lizard and Islands), Robin Miller (oboe on Lizard and Islands), and the recently ousted David Cross (violin on LTiA, SaBB, and USA), making it a vision of what might have been had the band not been in its death throes. And the fact that such an album could be produced by a group on the edge of extinction earns its place on my list. For me, side 2 of the album (comprising “Providence” and “Starless”) embodies the power of the Passion (in the New Testament sense of the word--artists driven, willing to endure pain, suffering, and loss for the sake of their Art). The blu ray from the The Road to Red box set is as close as I’ll get to replicating the bliss the vinyl brought me back in my high school daze!

3) Discipline (1981): If Red is the power and the majesty of the Passion, Discipline is the miracle of the Resurrection. Re-envisioning King Crimson for the New Wave of the 1980s was an inspiration that continues to inspire to this day. Everything old is new again: Fripp and Bruford reunited and reinvigorated by the additions of Adrian Belew (whose guitars and vocals were perfect for and transcendent of the times) and Tony Levin (whose stick work kept the group grounded in all things heavy and heady) craft a comeback for the ages. Four virtuosos work their magic, proving that Crimson is still King. A work so transcendent that its name and cover art have found their way into the business end of KC (Discipline Global Mobile and Inner Knot).

4) THRAK (1995): @edisonbaggins ' love of this album caused me to revisit it, and, as is always the case, he is spot on! Fripp pulls another resurrection rabbit out of the Crimson crown: more than 10 years had passed since the last KC release! For this incarnation, he added another Stick man, Trey Gunn, and another drummer, Pat Mastelotto, creating what he dubbed a “double trio.” This sextet goes hard and heavy! Steven Wilson’s mix really brings out the beauty of the double trio setup, letting individual players emerge from the apparent denseness of the sonic attack. Not only does Fripp take KC into yet another decade, he maintains strong ties to the past with sonic allusions to the likes of Red and Discipline.

5) The Power to Believe (2003): Seems a foregone conclusion that I would include a release from the next decade as KC becomes the 21st Century Schizoid Band! This incarnation is back to a quartet: Fripp, Belew, Gunn, and Mastelotto. I can’t help but wonder if Barry Godber’s amazing artwork for ItCotCK isn’t some sort of Portrait of Dorian Gray--this band not only doesn’t seem to age; they somehow get more testicular as the years roll on! This time the surround mix is from the band’s manager/audio engineer David Singleton. His mix compliments the yin-yang of this release, bringing out the aural anarchy aggressiveness of assaults like “Level Five” and highlighting the ineffable elegance of tracks like “Eyes Wide Open.” The interweaving of Fripp’s sophisticated soundscapes and Belew’s impressionistic poetry tie the tracks of this one together nicely.

On a personal note, I was stoked (tickets already ordered) to see King Crimson this summer at Ravinia. Not sure if I’ll get another chance to see them (already experienced one of the greatest shows of my concert-going careers), but the latest iteration of KC is nicely represented on multichannel releases of live shows such as Radical Action to Unseat the Hold of Monkey Mind (2016), which would be my entry for this decade of King Crimson’s storied career. I can’t wait to hear your favorites! Stay Surrounded, Comrades!

Last edited:
1. Red; so much power and range.

The next two swap places depending on my mood.
2/3. Discipline
2/3 In The Court Of The Crimson King

4. Thrak, a wide range of music covered and, of course, it rescued us from the long despair of nothing new from Crim.

5. The last spot will fall to Absent Lovers or The Nightwatch for when I am in the mood for a live set. Both are wonderful in their own way.

My top 5 KC albums;
1. In The Court Of The Crimson King
2. Larks' Tongues In Aspic
3. Red
4. Discipline
5. THRAK

Runner up-Starless And Bible Black

How the hell am I supposed to do this?! KC have more than 5 albums... And they're all the best! :D

studio:
Red
Larks Tongues In Aspic
Starless and Bible Black
Court of the Crimson King
Discipline

live:
1973-11-23
1974-06-28
1974-04-29
1974-06-24
1969-12-15

(Low hanging fruit kind of answer there. The 24/96 multitrack mixes from the tours from the blurays for the 1st 4.)

5.1 remixes:
Lizard
THRAK
Court of the Crimson King (re-remix from original multitracks)
Islands
Beat

Should have mentioned Earthbound just to be a troll. :D But that 21st Century Schizoid Man is still may favorite version!

1. Red
2. Larks Tongues
3. Lizard
4. Islands
5. Court Of The Crimson King

I'm just an old fashioned guy, weighed down by some lovely Malbec, although I do love every era of Crimson, especially in 5.1!

Beat
In the Court of the Crimson King
Discipline
The Great Deceiver (if a box set is allowed)
THRAK

Those first two were the first two KC albums I ever had/heard, but I still listen to them the most. Obviously I'm partial to the Belew era, but the wonder of Crimson is that there's brilliance from all periods, different as they are -- and as represented in their current touring incarnation. I had tickets to the June 25 show in Louisville, damn you pandemic!

an average of one per decade is tough, my mood often determines who I want to hear singing so I'll go with one per singer
Lake 21st Century Schizoid Man
Burrell Sailor's Tale :LOL:
Wetton Easy Money
Belew Elephant Talk
Jakszyk no studio output

And generally always top songs no matter who I want to hear sing
Red
everything on Monkish's list

Anyone want to take a crack at Top 5 Crimson *Songs*?

For me (in chronological order):

Easy Money
Larks’ Tongues In Aspic, Part 2
Starless
Frame By Frame
Dinosaur

I Do-
"21st Century Schizoid Man"
"Larks' Tongues In Aspic (Pt. 2)"
"Starless"
"Heartbeat"
"Dinosaur"