Quadio for an Atmos/stereo guy

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys, I'm thinking about getting some of the rhino quadio releases. But I don't have speakers equal to my 2 fronts in all corners of the room. I have a home theater set up with 2 quality fronts and then the surround, backs and height channels. And of course subwoofers. Would there be any point every getting these releases? What I enjoy them? Should I plan to listen in stereo and avoid the Quadio format?

Hey guys, I'm thinking about getting some of the rhino quadio releases. But I don't have speakers equal to my 2 fronts in all corners of the room. I have a home theater set up with 2 quality fronts and then the surround, backs and height channels. And of course subwoofers. Would there be any point every getting these releases? What I enjoy them? Should I plan to listen in stereo and avoid the Quadio format?
Hi, from my point of view, you will enjoy them in the same way you do for any regular 5.1 record. Of course it would be better to have matched fronts and rears and them placed in the quad layout, but as long as your setup is properly calibrated you should be able to play and enjoy them (a lot)

I'd imagine you have your system dialed in as well as possible with the speakers you have. Levels speaker to speaker. Bass management dialed in if and as needed. So you have primary sound from the speakers. Maybe the phantom imaging isn't perfect across the whole array with different brands and quality speakers?

So that's something to chase and all. Quad - being only the main 4 channels - will be easier to reproduce on said system than higher channel count mixes, FWIW. 12 or 16 channel Atmos mixes being the furthest away.

That's trying to be analytical. But I sure can't find any reason in there to avoid surround releases and only stick to stereo! Dial what you have in as well as possible. Hit play! Speakers and amps can be scavenged on the used market if new is out of the question. Done any room treatment? A non-scientific couch and some wall hangings? Some little reasonable things to get rid of any weird echo in the room will make all the speakers sound better.

I have an Atmos setup, 7.2.4. None of my other speakers are equal to my 2 fronts, not by a long shot, but all speakers are level-matched and a pretty good tonal match, and I absolutely get maximum enjoyment out of all these quad releases. Sure, having 4 matched speakers for quad is ideal, but do not let anyone tell you that you shouldn't bother if you don't have them all matched. Order, listen, relax and enjoy!

My setup has three matched Emotivs Pro Stealth 8 speakers in the front and a pair of almost antique Realistic Minimus 7s in the back. So, no, they are not of equal quality.

I love my quadios.

It's all relative. Modest speakers in a reasonable (not echo-y) room will sound better than boutique speakers in a cave. Modest speakers of all different makes and models but reasonably close specs and dialed in well will wipe the floor with some novelty speaker set of all identical garbage.

Back