Suggestions for Dutton Vocalion Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've mentioned this one before, but I have to mention it again since I spent some time working with the Q8 recently and I'm still really hyped up about it.

View attachment 39088View attachment 39087

The quad mix is basically a perfect "3-D" version of the original stereo. Guitar, drums, and bass are across the front channels, while the violin is in the left rear speaker and the keyboard/synthesizer is in the right rear speaker. I found it to be more enjoyable both music and mix-wise than the Birds Of Fire studio quad mix.

Tim Geelan is credited for both the stereo and quad mixes, which implies that this may be one of those CBS titles that was actually developed from the ground up with quad in mind. I'm not sure if it was released concurrently with the stereo LP or if the quad version came out later. Geelan is also credited with a number of other great CBS quad mixes such as Blue Oyster Cult's Secret Treaties and Weather Report's Mysterious Traveller.

Here's waveforms for track 2, "Sister Andrea", so you can see just how discrete this is. You can clearly make out Jerry Goodman's violin solo in the left rear channel. Surround mixes of live material don't get better than this.
View attachment 39089

It also seems to check several boxes for D-V release:
  • It's a Sony title
  • Goes well with the several fusion quad titles DV have released
  • The artist will likely approve as AF was able to license the Birds Of Fire quad mix
  • It's never had any sort of hi-rez or audiophile release (according to discogs)
@steelydave is on the record as a big fan of this quad mix, so I assume he's probably already mentioned it to D-V at one point or another :)
I’d love to hear this. The more jazz and jazz fusion I can have in MC, the happier I will be!

I just can't wait for D/V to announce the next installment, I know something(s) amazing and earth shaking will be included. So many great quad titles fit the profile and are available.

Unlike some of you who,ve waited 40 years, ive only had m/c for 10 years. More Mahavishnu Orchestra? D-V, just take my money, throw in more quad weather report, tomita and a few surprises and i’ll be happy (till the next batch comes due)

I’d love to hear this. The more jazz and jazz fusion I can have in MC, the happier I will be!

that Mahavishnu Orchestra Live album Quad mix is, as sjcorne says, great. i have to be in the mood for it though tbh, some days i'll play it and its fun but a couple of times its just been a bit of racket that rattled my fillings! 🤪

there wasn't a lot of Jazz Fusion in Quad in the first place, top of my want list from DV in that sort of sphere that feels doable would be Herbie Hancock's "Sextant", the Quad mix is incredible, its a Columbia Quad held by Sony, we already got Headhunters & Thrust, i'm hopeful!

sticking with CBS/Columbia but at the other end of the Jazz spectrum, i'd love it if DV were to do Maynard Ferguson's "Conquistador".. Blood Sweat & Tears' "Mirror Image".. oh and Ramsey Lewis' "Upendo Ni Pamoja" is a cool Jazz Quad.

there's a number of nice CTI Quads remaining DV could still do (Stanley Turrentine, Grover Washington Jr., Don Sebesky, Johnny Hammond)

if the Arista Quads are available i'd love The Brecker Brothers "Back To Back".

if Vanguard Quads are on the table, "Introducing Larry Coryell And The Eleventh House" would be top of my Jazz/Fusion wantlist.

if DV ever get to do any WEA stuff there's some nice Quads, Mingus Moves, Duke Ellington's New Orleans Suite, Gil Evans' "Svengali", etc.

i'm not sure how much if any of the numerous ABC/Impulse! Jazz Quads exist in discrete master tape form but there's some cool albums in amongst them too.

not sure who controls the Fantasy/Prestige/Milestone catalogue now (Concord?) there's a few cool Quads (Turrentine, McCoy Tyner, Woody Herman, Blackbyrds).

on A&M there's cool things like the 2 x Chuck Mangione Quads and Quincy Jones' 4 Quad albums but the mastertapes probably aren't available.

the Stax Isaac Hayes Quads would go down a storm, especially Shaft, Tough Guys & Truck Turner.. love those 3 in particular but if they did the lot you wouldn't hear me complaining!

perhaps EMI's Quads might be up for licensing? if so, i'd love DV to do Grappelli & Menuhin's "Fascinatin' Rhythm", the Quad mix is.. scrummy.

no idea who has the rights to the Groove Merchant catalogue but Buddy Rich's "Roar Of '74" is a great Quad.

whatever they put out next, hope there's an announcement from DV soon, fair chomping at the bit here so i is! 🥴

that Mahavishnu Orchestra Live album Quad mix is, as sjcorne says, great. i have to be in the mood for it though tbh, some days i'll play it and its fun but a couple of times its just been a bit of racket that rattled my fillings! 🤪

there wasn't a lot of Jazz Fusion in Quad in the first place, top of my want list from DV in that sort of sphere that feels doable would be Herbie Hancock's "Sextant", the Quad mix is incredible, its a Columbia Quad held by Sony, we already got Headhunters & Thrust, i'm hopeful!

sticking with CBS/Columbia but at the other end of the Jazz spectrum, i'd love it if DV were to do Maynard Ferguson's "Conquistador".. Blood Sweat & Tears' "Mirror Image".. oh and Ramsey Lewis' "Upendo Ni Pamoja" is a cool Jazz Quad.

there's a number of nice CTI Quads remaining DV could still do (Stanley Turrentine, Grover Washington Jr., Don Sebesky, Johnny Hammond)

if the Arista Quads are available i'd love The Brecker Brothers "Back To Back".

if Vanguard Quads are on the table, "Introducing Larry Coryell And The Eleventh House" would be top of my Jazz/Fusion wantlist.

if DV ever get to do any WEA stuff there's some nice Quads, Mingus Moves, Duke Ellington's New Orleans Suite, Gil Evans' "Svengali", etc.

i'm not sure how much if any of the numerous ABC/Impulse! Jazz Quads exist in discrete master tape form but there's some cool albums in amongst them too.

not sure who controls the Fantasy/Prestige/Milestone catalogue now (Concord?) there's a few cool Quads (Turrentine, McCoy Tyner, Woody Herman, Blackbyrds).

on A&M there's cool things like the 2 x Chuck Mangione Quads and Quincy Jones' 4 Quad albums but the mastertapes probably aren't available.

the Stax Isaac Hayes Quads would go down a storm, especially Shaft, Tough Guys & Truck Turner.. love those 3 in particular but if they did the lot you wouldn't hear me complaining!

perhaps EMI's Quads might be up for licensing? if so, i'd love DV to do Grappelli & Menuhin's "Fascinatin' Rhythm", the Quad mix is.. scrummy.

no idea who has the rights to the Groove Merchant catalogue but Buddy Rich's "Roar Of '74" is a great Quad.

whatever they put out next, hope there's an announcement from DV soon, fair chomping at the bit here so i is! 🥴

Me choppers are whittled down as well old soul - just let me chew on some o’ that Chaka Khan - Chaka Khan:whistle::dance

For me, jazz and jazz fusion are wearing thin the older I get...which might seem backwards...what I really want is some comfort cooking......good old pop rock, rock...classic rock......easy listening (I know, I know) and such. Throw in some disco type stuff, if that's what you'd like to call it and I'm good till I retire. :)

For me, jazz and jazz fusion are wearing thin the older I get...which might seem backwards...what I really want is some comfort cooking......good old pop rock, rock...classic rock......easy listening (I know, I know) and such. Throw in some disco type stuff, if that's what you'd like to call it and I'm good till I retire. :)

You know I've been finding out this past year how many pop rock titles I missed from "back in the day"...and there are some excellent titles...I was a guy that was just interested in just the hit songs for most groups... except a handful of my favorite artists...with them I would deep dive into their catalogue...so now I'm discovering all these albums I had never heard...some were obvious to most people...but not for me...Boz Scaggs Middle Man and the Doobies Livin' On The Fault Line are 2 examples...love them both...I've invested more time and money in buying these older albums and I'm loving it...it's too bad most on here shy away from CDs...surround and hi rez is my preference...but there is much more great music on CDs than any other format and if you do your homework... and get the right version... it's a tremendous source of music

You know I've been finding out this past year how many pop rock titles I missed from "back in the day"...and there are some excellent titles...I was a guy that was just interested in just the hit songs for most groups... except a handful of my favorite artists...with them I would deep dive into their catalogue...so now I'm discovering all these albums I had never heard...some were obvious to most people...but not for me...Boz Scaggs Middle Man and the Doobies Livin' On The Fault Line are 2 examples...love them both...I've invested more time and money in buying these older albums and I'm loving it...it's too bad most on here shy away from CDs...surround and hi rez is my preference...but there is much more great music on CDs than any other format and if you do your homework... and get the right version... it's a tremendous source of music
Ahhh. If those two albums could ever receive a MC treatment! Just dreaming about that, of course. Boz’ “Down Two Then Left” would be on my personal list as well.

We were very lucky that Sony managed to release 5.1s of a lot of their biggest classic titles during the early 2000s, but among the two I most regret they didn’t take on were Boz’ “Silk Degrees” and EWF’s “All n All”. I love that they did “Gratitude”, but not their biggest seller?

Maybe the MC gods will shine upon us and a driven remix engineer who shares the same passion for R&B and pop-rock that SW has for prog will emerge to make getting a lot of these great titles remixed and in the hands of the public his mission!

Ahhh. If those two albums could ever receive a MC treatment! Just dreaming about that, of course. Boz’ “Down Two Then Left” would be on my personal list as well.

We were very lucky that Sony managed to release 5.1s of a lot of their biggest classic titles during the early 2000s, but among the two I most regret they didn’t take on were Boz’ “Silk Degrees” and EWF’s “All n All”. I love that they did “Gratitude”, but not their biggest seller?

Maybe the MC gods will shine upon us and a driven remix engineer who shares the same passion for R&B and pop-rock that SW has for prog will emerge to make getting a lot of these great titles remixed and in the hands of the public his mission!
Don’t want to get this toooo far off track but, I love the earlier first 4-5 Boz
Albums way more than his later stuff more soulful😎

I'm hoping for a real surprise release from the next anounced D/V batch. Stanley Clarke "School Days" type of surprise.

I'm also hoping for a prime country album from RCA like Waylon Jennings.

I'm also hoping for or even expecting an A-List but mid-line title like Nilsson.

And then a cool rock title like Saints and Sinners or Shock Treatment.

I'm fine with no Easy Listening this time around.

I'm hoping for a real surprise release from the next anounced D/V batch. Stanley Clarke "School Days" type of surprise.

I'm also hoping for or even expecting an A-List but mid-line title like Nilsson.

If those were the only 4 we got all year I’d be fine with that!

The Wizard of Watford is taking his time making a careful transfer of the Jim Nabors quads. He wants them to be perfect.

You know even though I don't ever see myself buying a Jim Nabors SACD; I have bought some of the MC SACDs from DV that were totally unknown music to me (but just looked interesting), and I've never been disappointed in and often very pleased with them. I just feel the more we support their efforts, the more impetus they have to put out more. They also have a long history and a significant number of non-MC SACDs and other formats available.

You know even though I don't ever see myself buying a Jim Nabors SACD; I have bought some of the MC SACDs from DV that were totally unknown music to me (but just looked interesting), and I've never been disappointed in and often very pleased with them. I just feel the more we support their efforts, the more impetus they have to put out more. They also have a long history and a significant number of non-MC SACDs and other formats available.

if DV put out the Man Of La Mancha Quad i do feel a lot of people here would enjoy it just on its surround merits, the mix is very active!

if the way their release waves have panned out so far are anything to go by and the next batch is Easy Listening or Classical or something else that doesn't float one's boat there'll likely be another batch down the line with something that does. personally i'm hoping for more Rock/Pop or R&B/Soul type stuff but i'd take more Country if it included Charlie Behind Closed Doors or some Mac Davis, who knows.. they've come up with a mix of titles that have delivered something cool/different pretty much every release wave. maybe we'll get some surround showtunes in the next batch! Hello Dolly its the Sound Of Muzak! 🤪

if the way their release waves have panned out so far are anything to go by and the next batch is Easy Listening or Classical or something else that doesn't float one's boat there'll likely be another batch down the line with something that does. personally i'm hoping for more Rock/Pop or R&B/Soul type stuff but i'd take more Country if it included Charlie Behind Closed Doors or some Mac Davis, who knows.. they've come up with a mix of titles that have delivered something cool/different pretty much every release wave. maybe we'll get some surround showtunes in the next batch! Hello Dolly its the Sound Of Muzak! 🤪

Methinks we are WAY overdue, Mr. Blue, for some Rock~A~Doodle~Dos. We've had the Classical, Ronnie, Dottie, Charlie, Tomita, some jazz ........ and what the Wizard is brewing Behind Closed Doors I can only imagine is as Rich and Diverse as befits a silk purse.

Watched the Beatle's [somewhat] bio "BackBeat" last night ....... loved IT....so I have a good feeling about this! ❤

See the source image

Yes, I want to be a REAL boy ...but with a GIGUNDUS D~V QUAD COLLECTION

Last edited:
Methinks we are WAY overdue, Mr. Blue, for some Rock~A~Doodle~Dos. We've had the Classical, Ronnie, Dottie, Charlie, Tomita, some jazz ........ and what the Wizard is brewing Behind Closed Doors I can only imagine is as Rich and Diverse as befits a silk purse.

Watched the Beatle's [somewhat] bio "BackBeat" last night ....... loved IT....so I have a good feeling about this! ❤

See the source image

Yes, I want to be a REAL boy ...but with a GIGUNDUS D~V QUAD COLLECTION

are we really due anything..?
i started to take AF's excellent Surround releases for granted - and they abruptly stopped and it hurt! i don't want to get burned again, if DV's Surround stuff ended tomorrow i'd be bereft.. but have to be philosophical and be thankful for what we have - a great run, no, the greatest run of Quad releases on a latterday surround format bar none.

i hope for more, i expect nothing. we've already had titles that were personal dreamytime wishlisters like Chase Pure Music, WR Tale Spinnin', Poco Seven/Cantamos, Guess Who #10/Road Food, Art Garfunkel's Angel Clare and Breakaway, Johnnie Taylor Eargasm+Rated EX, both Hues Corporation Quads, RTF Musicmagic, Tower Of Power, Hugo M does Stevie & Elton!, Mancini's Symphonic Soul, Rick Derringer's All American Boy & Spring Fever, all 3 Billy (F-ing!) Paul Quads..! wowzers! all surround, all stunning, all out now!! its all rich thick beautiful gravy from here on! please DV, we want some more! nom nom nom! 🤪

I would flat out buy Jim Nabors in a freaking milli-second. Serious...

Back