What band was more influentail to the world, and music?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leevitalone1

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Opinions, from your point of view towards them: The Beatles or the Stones? I suppose there would be two categories, one those who grew up with them, like me and those who were born after the demise of the Beatles, because we never know if the "Steel Wheelchair" "geriatric tour will occur by the Stones.🤪

Opinions, from your point of view towards them: The Beatles or the Stones? I suppose there would be two categories, one those who grew up with them, like me and those who were born after the demise of the Beatles, because we never know if the "Steel Wheelchair" "geriatric tour will occur by the Stones.🤪
and tell your app. age

So, neither one was particularly influential beyond music, but I actually think the Stones had more influence on the direction of music in the late 60s/early 70s. The Beatles were largely sui generis in my opinion. Both of them petered out before I was born, FWIW (although of course the Stones are still doing their thing).

Pioneers like Jerry Lee Lewis, Little Richard and especially Chuck Berry were huge influences on both the Beatles and the Stones. Each used their influence in different ways. I would guess that most kids of the '60 first heard "Roll Over Beethoven" and the classic Berry rift as a Beatles song. Keith Richards emulated Chuck Berry. Form there as the '60s progressed, the Beatles and George Martin tended to lead the way as they moved from simple "Love Me Do" stuff to "Help!", "Rubber Soul", "Revolver" and into Pepper, White Album and finally self destruction, with "Let It Be" being the footnote and "Abbey Road" being the real 'out with a bang' finale.

You have to admit the Stone generally followed The Beatles, with albums like "Their Satanic Majesties Request" their attempt at a Pepper. IMHO, the Stones hung with The Beatles in the singles market, but the Beatles albums were more trend setting and trail blazing.

After 1970, the Stones continued on and maintained that singles domination while The Beatles split into 4 artists, all topping the charts at times, but by then the competition had really grown and in many cases surpassed both groups. Today, if you were not there in the '60s, it's easy to dismiss or ignore both of these groups as old acts who have over blown significance.

To answer the question at hand, I would have to say The Beatles were more influential because many more artists of the time (and in the following years) claim they were influenced by The Beatles than the Stones.

Pioneers like Jerry Lee Lewis, Little Richard and especially Chuck Berry were huge influences on both the Beatles and the Stones. Each used their influence in different ways. I would guess that most kids of the '60 first heard "Roll Over Beethoven" and the classic Berry rift as a Beatles song. Keith Richards emulated Chuck Berry. Form there as the '60s progressed, the Beatles and George Martin tended to lead the way as they moved from simple "Love Me Do" stuff to "Help!", "Rubber Soul", "Revolver" and into Pepper, White Album and finally self destruction, with "Let It Be" being the footnote and "Abbey Road" being the real 'out with a bang' finale.

You have to admit the Stone generally followed The Beatles, with albums like "Their Satanic Majesties Request" their attempt at a Pepper. IMHO, the Stones hung with The Beatles in the singles market, but the Beatles albums were more trend setting and trail blazing.

After 1970, the Stones continued on and maintained that singles domination while The Beatles split into 4 artists, all topping the charts at times, but by then the competition had really grown and in many cases surpassed both groups. Today, if you were not there in the '60s, it's easy to dismiss or ignore both of these groups as old acts who have over blown significance.

To answer the question at hand, I would have to say The Beatles were more influential because many more artists of the time (and in the following years) claim they were influenced by The Beatles than the Stones.

I also think the Beach Boys' Pet Sounds had a major infuence on the Beatles' harmonies, as well but Jerry Lee, Little Richard and Mr. Berry were major influences on the early Beatles ... for sure!

I also think the Beach Boys' Pet Sounds had a major influence on the Beatles' harmonies, as well but Jerry Lee, Little Richard and Mr. Berry were major influences on the early Beatles ... for sure!

Yep, Brian Wilson and Paul McCartney were very competitive and have said so in many interviews over the years, each trying to out do each other - in a friendly way.

Rubber Soul - December 965
Pet Sounds - May 16 1966
Revolver - August 1966

The Beatles. I'm 66 now and was 11 when they first appeared on Ed Sullivan. Everything they did I loved. I liked the Stones' singles up to the Sticky Fingers album, but have a hard time listening to their full albums. The Beatles' albums always just felt more natural. One of my all time fav Beatles' songs is "You Know My Name Look Up The Number" (which had Brian Jones playing saxophone).

Beatles... Beatles... Here they are The Beatles!

But just thinking about it?! If you break it down by decade it gets a bit more interesting?!

There are many artists that were then inspired by the artists before... But then there are some that dominated that decade just because they did and are completely different.

If I were to go by decade I'd say...

50's - Elvis
60's - The Beatles (but damn so many greats miss out!)
70's - Pink Floyd
80's - Michael Jackson (ahem)
90's - Nirvana (US)/Oasis (UK)
00's - Coldplay/Foo Fighters/Jay Z?! (erm really struggling - was v tempted to leave blank)
10's - Taylor Swift

Man it's really frustrating missing out on some fantastic bands there! How can Coldplay be in there and not The Rolling Stones, Dylan etc... ugh!

Anyway The Beatles win it - by a country mile...

Yep, Brian Wilson and Paul McCartney were very competitive and have said so in many interviews over the years, each trying to out do each other - in a friendly way.

Rubber Soul - December 965
Pet Sounds - May 16 1966
Revolver - August 1966

Interestingly it's not how Rubber Soul was intended (i.e. the US version) that inspired Wilson so much. A happy accident? Rubber Soul in it's original form at least has some really dark lyrics on it: mind you the "very sad" lyric on Pet Sounds is quite dark, I suppose.

Well not to be ignored......without Led Zeppelin “Classic Rock, Hard Rock and Heavy Metal” wouldn’t exist.....I guess you could put Black Sabbath up there as well but I still think Zep had a bigger influence on ARENA ROCK than anyone in history😀😀

And yes I’m old enough to have even seen The Beatles & Hendrix even though i was just a kid at the time and actually did see them😀

Last edited:
Beatles... Beatles... Here they are The Beatles!

But just thinking about it?! If you break it down by decade it gets a bit more interesting?!

There are many artists that were then inspired by the artists before... But then there are some that dominated that decade just because they did and are completely different.

If I were to go by decade I'd say...

50's - Elvis
60's - The Beatles (but damn so many greats miss out!)
70's - Pink Floyd
80's - Michael Jackson (ahem)
90's - Nirvana (US)/Oasis (UK)
00's - Coldplay/Foo Fighters/Jay Z?! (erm really struggling - was v tempted to leave blank)
10's - Taylor Swift

Man it's really frustrating missing out on some fantastic bands there! How can Coldplay be in there and not The Rolling Stones, Dylan etc... ugh!

Anyway The Beatles win it - by a country mile...

TAYLOR SWIFT, Smithers? Are you sure you weren't one of her OLD boyfriends......Swifty Smithers?

See the source image

Betcha think this song's about you, Smithers?

TAYLOR SWIFT, Smithers? Are you sure you weren't one of her OLD boyfriends......Swifty Smithers?

See the source image

Betcha think this song's about you, Smithers?

Blimey O'Reiley! Certainly having an influence now! :love: The last album was pretty crap though? Not that I even listened to it...

It's strange how modern artists aren't going down the album route nowadays?! All down to streaming I guess...

I actually think that because The Beatles and their peers did release albums it only encouraged them to write better songs, and thus made them more influential...

Next month, I’ll be 57. I grew up with both The Stones and The Beatles. My vote is The Beatles. When I was 10, I’ll never forget when Let It Be came out. I hated the title track and Hey Jude. Over the years, I’ve warmed to both songs even though I find Hey Jude still boring to this day. After The Beatles, I loved McCartney and hated most of Lennon’s songs. And then, one day, Double Fantasy came out and I took notice. I was big on LED Zeppelin, Aerosmith, Foghat, Foreigner, Heart, Jefferson Starship, The Tubes, Todd Rungren, Utopia, The Cars, Styx and, of course, Queen, just to name a few.

Back