Addis Pads - probably the greatest hifi upgrade... in the world!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

windhoek

The Phoolosopher
I stumbled onto this incredible upgrade a couple of months ago when I began experimenting with interfaces that might reduce the amount of energy going into the floor from my Tannoy Legacy Eaton speakers. Among a few things I tried were pieces of Addis sink mat protection stuff (see pic below).

332201-addis-cushioned-sink-protector-circle-grey.jpg

Not only did placing pieces of this stuff beneath my speakers reduce the amount of energy going into the floor, it also had a remarkable effect on the presentation itself: everything seemed to have much more clarity and focus, including the bass, which was now firmly planted within the soundstage. However, something wasn’t right. I couldn’t put my finger on it at the time but I now have an idea as to what it was: the Addis pads are fairly firm so I reckon there was microscopic ‘bounce’ going on.

So I went and took some sticky-on bumpers (you know, the sort you put inside kitchen cupboard doors to stop the doors from banging when they close too fast) and put them on the Addis stuff and tried that. Wow! With the speakers now sitting nice and flat, like they’re perfectly seated in a bespoke saddle, the Addis stuff instantly worked its magic. And it is magic! For the record, I’d already tried using those sticky-on bumpers by themselves and the results were okay, but nothing special.

So what does it sound like? All that focus and clarity was back but with a compelling presentation that simply sounds magical, almost as if fairies had sprinkled magic dust on it. I say magical because music now seems to be matierialisng from another dimension. I know, that sounds like crazy talk. But that’s how it sounds.

I now realise I was onto the right idea with talk of an interdimensional presentation, but I had it the wrong way around. It’s not that the Addis pads and sticky-on bumpers make music materialise from another dimension - it's that they take you to another dimension: they take you into the recording room when the music was recorded!

Like I say, I know this sounds like crazy talk, but there really is something magical going on with the Addis pad + sticky-on bumper combo.

I’ve put this combo under the speakers in my bedroom and I’m getting the same results. And I’ve also put this combo under my turntables as well. Basically, I’ve put it under everything with moving parts.

The Addis sink mat protection stuff is available at B&M for £2.50 - that’s right, two pounds fifty, and the bumpers are available from B&Q (link) for £1.53. ! Am I crazy? Or have I just discovered probably the greatest single upgrade ever... in the world???

Here's the 'User Manual':

- Affix 8 bumpers to 8 pads and then place the combos beneath the corners of your speakers (or 4 pads and bumpers beneath your turntable or CD player etc). You can even double up on pads and place an extra pad beneath the other so that you've got two pads per bumper (for really heavy speakers you probably should double up on pads). Allow at least an hour for adhesive setting time to ensure the pads don't slide should lateral force be applied when tilting speakers backwards and forwards during installation.

- In general, I prefer to affix pads to bumpers but sometimes you might need to affix bumpers to equipment and then line things up after that.

- The combo has to be the only damping interface between the supporting structure and the equipment/speakers. Otherwise, you'll get diluted results. In practice, this probably means removing the feet from your equipment.

- If your speakers are on carpets then you'd need to find a way of bypassing the carpet. You can't put the combo on top of a carpet and expect to get results. If you can't install a platform that takes the carpet out of the equation then forget it, it just won't work.

Information: the pads are made from PVC and the bumpers are made from EVA. Together, they produce a sprung damping effect. The trade off is that you lose a bit of the visceral experience. If putting the combo beneath your speakers means you lose too much then you can just put the combo beneath your equipment. That way, you get the benefits without changing how your speakers deliver music.

Here are some pics:

52774889545_e55e89c670_c.jpg

52774471211_ee63263f73_c.jpg

52774471216_d942ac48c6_c.jpg

52795675981_976510a860_c.jpg

As you can see, I've even gone and removed the stock feet from my 1210GR and used M6 bolts (and nuts) and then put the combo beneath the bolts.

Oh, I'd previously tried using these Sound Damped Steel plates which use constrained layer damping (CLD) technology but there was no contest, the pads and bumpers combo was far superior.

If I had to quantify the improvement I'd say it doubled the quality of everything in my system: my speakers are now twice as good, my turntable is now twice as good. Everything that's electromechanical is now twice as good.

I live in a top floor tenement flat with a sprung floor, so I've got neighbours below. It was my interest in reducing the amount of energy going into the floor that caused me to take a punt on the pads when I saw them in B&M.

Fwiw, I started a thread on another forum and quite a few people have given it a go and have been impressed with the results.

One thing I forgot to say is that the combo also produces a somewhat warm and somewhat softer presentation. That's not to say music becomes soft and glowy, but things like sibilance and shrill female vocal moments are nicely brought under control.

Oh, my hifi and AV systems are joined at the hip so my Tannoys are front speakers in all cases in my 4.0 surround setup, and watching films has turned into the most incredible experience as the combo outs you right there.

All this does sound bold - and a little crazy - but the combo has transformed my system in a way that no previous upgrade ever has, short of going from my previous speakers to my Tannoys. Apart from that, the combo has delivered the biggest bang for buck upgrade ever.

Last edited:
I live in a top floor tenement flat with a sprung floor, so I've got neighbours below. It was my interest in reducing the amount of energy going into the floor that caused me to take a punt on the pads when I saw them in B&M.

Fwiw, I started a thread on another forum and quite a few people have given it a go and have been impressed with the results.

One thing I forgot to say is that the combo also produces a somewhat warm and somewhat softer presentation. That's not to say music becomes soft and glowy, but things like sibilance and shrill female vocal moments are nicely brought under control.

Oh, my hifi and AV systems are joined at the hip so my Tannoys are front speakers in all cases in my 4.0 surround setup, and watching films has turned into the most incredible experience as the combo outs you right there.

All this does sound bold - and a little crazy - but the combo has transformed my system in a way that no previous upgrade ever has, short of going from my previous speakers to my Tannoys. Apart from that, the combo has delivered the biggest bang for buck upgrade ever.
I believe the type of flooring system could be the main contributing factor to all this. I'm on a concrete slab foundation (with tile & rug over), and have tried different paddings on my speakers with little variation noted. What did make a huge difference in my setup, was that I had my left front speaker close to a gas fireplace with a flat glass front; this was causing my imaging (specifically things like Phantom Center/Balance) to be shifted more towards that left side. I moved the left speaker just about a foot more to the left and everything came into balance. The fireplace hard glass surface was apparently reflecting more of the peripheral sound than the right, throwing it out of balance. It just goes to show, that our room acoustics can be a very tricky thing to deal with; and dial in to close perfection.

I believe the type of flooring system could be the main contributing factor to all this. I'm on a concrete slab foundation (with tile & rug over), and have tried different paddings on my speakers with little variation noted. What did make a huge difference in my setup, was that I had my left front speaker close to a gas fireplace with a flat glass front; this was causing my imaging (specifically things like Phantom Center/Balance) to be shifted more towards that left side. I moved the left speaker just about a foot more to the left and everything came into balance. The fireplace hard glass surface was apparently reflecting more of the peripheral sound than the right, throwing it out of balance. It just goes to show, that our room acoustics can be a very tricky thing to deal with; and dial in to close perfection.
There have been people using the combo who have concrete floors and they've been getting the same sort of results as me. Indeed, I use the combo beneath my rear speakers which are mounted on the wall using Sound Organisation brackets. As long as the supporting structure (floor, speaker stand or equipment rack is solid) the combo gives results.

The one thing the combo doesn't do is improve room acoustics. As you say that's a tricky issue and in some cases it can make or break it. I was never convinced that my room could handle the energy my Tannoys can produce but the combo changed that by trading some weight for a more defined bass.

There are so many things that can have considerable influence over how a system sounds and thankfully the combo is one of them :)

Back