Hello All

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruce00

QQ Supporter
Iam Bruce , AKA Bruce00, from NJ.
I jumped into the quad scene in the middle of the 70's with the purchase of a new Sansui QRX 9001 receiver and a set of 4 Sansui XP-X8000 speakers. Work had me traveling so I put everything in storage for what I thought would be a year or so......LOL So here I am just now setting up my system again.
I also have components from Nakamichi, Marantz, Uher, Sharp and a couple others I am forgetting. LOL, its an age thing
Also approx 300 vinyl albums of rock with the mandatory Quad albums from the 70's

My main reason for joining other than to see where we are 50ys later in Quad is, any members use QRXrestore in Eugene Oregon lately?
I heard of Jims passing, may he RIP

While reading posts while waiting for approval to post, I saw the post, 4 New Quadio releases......Even with the delay in shipping I ordered the combo set

I jumped into the quad scene in the middle of the 70's with the purchase of a new Sansui QRX 9001 receiver and a set of 4 Sansui XP-X8000 speakers. Work had me traveling so I put everything in storage for what I thought would be a year or so......LOL So here I am just now setting up my system again.
I also have components from Nakamichi, Marantz, Uher, Sharp and a couple others I am forgetting. LOL, its an age thing
Also approx 300 vinyl albums of rock with the mandatory Quad albums from the 70's

My main reason for joining other than to see where we are 50ys later in Quad is, any members use QRXrestore in Eugene Oregon lately?

While reading posts while waiting for approval to post, I saw the post, 4 New Quadio releases......Even with the delay in shipping I ordered the combo set
Welcome in Bruce, glad to hear from another Quadiophile!

I sent my QRX-8001 to those guys maybe a couple years ago for a total reconditioning and the Holy Grail adjustment. They seem to do nice work (the shipping is what the hassle is for me, although they'll send you a custom box for your gear to send their way, which helps!) They also are not cheap, it'll cost you plenty. But with all old gear like this you never know what parts are going to reach end-of-life on it next (I need to resend mine for additional work at some point :unsure:.) I believe it's a huge bonus if you bought your QRX-9001 (sweet model BTW) new and are the original owner, as I bought mine second hand with no knowledge of its history or service problems.

Anyway, hope to hear more from you here, and stay 🤠

The Mutt!

Welcome:)

Welcome in Bruce, glad to hear from another Quadiophile!

I sent my QRX-8001 to those guys maybe a couple years ago for a total reconditioning and the Holy Grail adjustment. They seem to do nice work (the shipping is what the hassle is for me, although they'll send you a custom box for your gear to send their way, which helps!) They also are not cheap, it'll cost you plenty. But with all old gear like this you never know what parts are going to reach end-of-life on it next (I need to resend mine for additional work at some point :unsure:.) I believe it's a huge bonus if you bought your QRX-9001 (sweet model BTW) new and are the original owner, as I bought mine second hand with no knowledge of its history or service problems.

Anyway, hope to hear more from you here, and stay 🤠

The Mutt!

Thanks.......From all my digging since joining is it doesn't seem QXRrestore is still turning out equipment. From what I understand Jims son, Justine is the only one doing the QXR work. He is way backed up and only works a half day......I googled the location and no business can be seen on google maps. I am told the house sits way back, which would explain a empty lot look.
I sent an email explaining I was the orginal owner and was prepared for the full restore w/ all extras and needed, and to order a prebuilt shipping box from them........I would tell you what he said, but never got a reply. I followed the website directions of putting "service requested" in the subject line.
Business must be very good or the business is __________, to ignore a $2K job Restoring my Sansui myself is waaaay above my pay grade LOL

Trying to understand all the new "lingo" as been my biggest stumbling block getting back into the game. Right now in the market to buy a high end CD player, I have a couple BlueRays, but I understand I need a SACD player (I think).
Sure miss the old vinyl shops and stereo equipment stores of my youth.......
Iam just trying to absorb as much as possible reading this forum

My excitement of getting my receiver back to "like new" has been tempered, to say the least........I picked up a Pyle 1000 watt home theater receiver to test my speakers. I waiting for a spool of new OFC speaker wire to be delivered thursday, then I can atleast spin some vinyl and wish I could bring my Sansui back!

+

Attachments

• Sansui.jpg
    Sansui.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 0
  • Sansui QXR.jpg
    Sansui QXR.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 0
Thanks.......From all my digging since joining is it doesn't seem QXRrestore is still turning out equipment. From what I understand Jims son, Justine is the only one doing the QXR work. He is way backed up and only works a half day......I googled the location and no business can be seen on google maps. I am told the house sits way back, which would explain a empty lot look.
I sent an email explaining I was the orginal owner and was prepared for the full restore w/ all extras and needed, and to order a prebuilt shipping box from them........I would tell you what he said, but never got a reply. I followed the website directions of putting "service requested" in the subject line.
Business must be very good or the business is __________, to ignore a $2K job Restoring my Sansui myself is waaaay above my pay grade LOL

Trying to understand all the new "lingo" as been my biggest stumbling block getting back into the game. Right now in the market to buy a high end CD player, I have a couple BlueRays, but I understand I need a SACD player (I think).
Sure miss the old vinyl shops and stereo equipment stores of my youth.......
Iam just trying to absorb as much as possible reading this forum

My excitement of getting my receiver back to "like new" has been tempered, to say the least........I picked up a Pyle 1000 watt home theater receiver to test my speakers. I waiting for a spool of new OFC speaker wire to be delivered thursday, then I can atleast spin some vinyl and wish I could bring my Sansui back!

+
Welcome, Bruce.
I'm an old Quaddie as well, though I confess I have not owned any Quad equipment since the late '70s. Hope you can get the Sansui fixed up, they are the coolest of cool in Quad. (IMO)

As far as playing SACD's, yes you will need a "universal" player that does so. If you missed the boat on Oppo, they can be picked up off Ebay. Otherwise other, newer players exist which I will not list because my Oppo's will play about everything and I don't keep up.

Some SACD players are capable, by utilizing a script/software, to rip SACD discs (such as my Oppo BDP-103). Some capable ripping disc players can be found cheap.
There is a SACD ripping thread here on the forum.
BTW, once ripped to .iso, if you prefer that format (I do), The Foobar software player (Windows version) with the proper free components added will play both DVDA and SACD .iso files.....or can be used to rip to flac/wav from the .iso.

Of course the big deal now for many of us these days are Atmos and other "immersive" systems. I have a 7.1.4 Atmos system cobbled together.

There are threads on many subjects here at QQ, and overall there are many knowledgeable people willing to help, don't be afraid to ask questions.

Welcome, Bruce.
I'm an old Quaddie as well, though I confess I have not owned any Quad equipment since the late '70s. Hope you can get the Sansui fixed up, they are the coolest of cool in Quad. (IMO)

As far as playing SACD's, yes you will need a "universal" player that does so. If you missed the boat on Oppo, they can be picked up off Ebay. Otherwise other, newer players exist which I will not list because my Oppo's will play about everything and I don't keep up.

Some SACD players are capable, by utilizing a script/software, to rip SACD discs (such as my Oppo BDP-103). Some capable ripping disc players can be found cheap.
There is a SACD ripping thread here on the forum.
BTW, once ripped to .iso, if you prefer that format (I do), The Foobar software player (Windows version) with the proper free components added will play both DVDA and SACD .iso files.....or can be used to rip to flac/wav from the .iso.

Of course the big deal now for many of us these days are Atmos and other "immersive" systems. I have a 7.1.4 Atmos system cobbled together.

There are threads on many subjects here at QQ, and overall there are many knowledgeable people willing to help, don't be afraid to ask questions.

Thanks for your reply, but I must confess, most was over my head.
I got into the quad game when a buddy returned home from Nam, with this beautiful Sansui system. The woodwork on the speaker grills was something I never had seen. So I researched Sansui equipment, found a distributor and called. Hoping to one up my buddy😅, I bought the top of the line reciever. The QXR 9001 first, and then when I scraped together the funds I purchased 4 of their top speakers at the time. My house was the place for some memorable parties back in the day.
My first hobby is and has been motorcycles for the past 50 yrs, but the itch to get my home audio has been pulling at me. I traveled alot for work, hustling for OT, to make $$$, so a home audio system had to wait.
I even spoke to QXR some time way back, but didn't want to spend the coins for a refurbishment.......It appears that I've waited too long, which I've been beating myself up about these past couple days.
Iam going to try calling this afternoon, but I don't have much faith I'll catch someone, as my email remains unanswered.
I guess this 5.1 I picked up cheap, and I found a Sony for 3 bills that will play SACDs will have to suffice....but my Sansui Amp will never leave

Thanks for your reply, but I must confess, most was over my head.
I got into the quad game when a buddy returned home from Nam, with this beautiful Sansui system. The woodwork on the speaker grills was something I never had seen. So I researched Sansui equipment, found a distributor and called. Hoping to one up my buddy😅, I bought the top of the line reciever. The QXR 9001 first, and then when I scraped together the funds I purchased 4 of their top speakers at the time. My house was the place for some memorable parties back in the day.
My first hobby is and has been motorcycles for the past 50 yrs, but the itch to get my home audio has been pulling at me. I traveled alot for work, hustling for OT, to make $$$, so a home audio system had to wait.
I even spoke to QXR some time way back, but didn't want to spend the coins for a refurbishment.......It appears that I've waited too long, which I've been beating myself up about these past couple days.
Iam going to try calling this afternoon, but I don't have much faith I'll catch someone, as my email remains unanswered.
I guess this 5.1 I picked up cheap, and I found a Sony for 3 bills that will play SACDs will have to suffice....but my Sansui Amp will never leave
I'm guessing mostly the "ripping SACD's" part. lol. Some of us like to keep digital copies of everything. My pc is my playback/music storage machine (12HDD's / 4 SSD's) and I prefer to keep as much music as possible in the .iso image format. It retains 100% of the information (music/video wise) of the original disc except most discs have be "decrypted" to defeat copy protection.
My primary pc is a huge Case Labs case with added storage on top and bottom in what are called "pedestals".
I run an HDMI cable from my pc to my AVR, I don't use sound cards and the like.

If all you are concerned with is disc playback then of course none of what I said will matter to you.

I'm guessing mostly the "ripping SACD's" part. lol. Some of us like to keep digital copies of everything. My pc is my playback/music storage machine (12HDD's / 4 SSD's) and I prefer to keep as much music as possible in the .iso image format. It retains 100% of the information (music/video wise) of the original disc except most discs have be "decrypted" to defeat copy protection.
My primary pc is a huge Case Labs case with added storage on top and bottom in what are called "pedestals".
I run an HDMI cable from my pc to my AVR, I don't use sound cards and the like.

If all you are concerned with is disc playback then of course none of what I said will matter to you.

I can see where having a digital copy of your music would be easier to find and play............................

BUT

SUCCESS!!!!!! GOT IN TOUCH WITH QRX AND IAM IN THE QUE for a restoration & the FULL MONTY
Don't know if I can get this smile off my face...............
While I got a 6 month wait, I am looking at the best Christmas present I ever bought myself

Wooooooooo Hoooooooooooooo

I can see where having a digital copy of your music would be easier to find and play............................

BUT

SUCCESS!!!!!! GOT IN TOUCH WITH QRX AND IAM IN THE QUE for a restoration & the FULL MONTY
Don't know if I can get this smile off my face...............
While I got a 6 month wait, I am looking at the best Christmas present I ever bought myself

Wooooooooo Hoooooooooooooo
Glad to hear it! Well...glad YOU'LL get to hear it....restored!

One of my future projects is to refurbish a QRX-6500 & 5500. I inherited them both. No rush, since they were free. Your Sansui is better anyway!! really.

No rush. We already have 5 working surround systems. No!?! We're that crazy. Husband says I'm the one that's nuts. B&K, Denon, Sony, Onkyo (laundry room running as 2ch!) and vintage Marantz Quad.

Still, I'm envious! Welcome to QQ! Keep us apprised of your progress with this great, classic piece!!

Lots of great folks here at QQ.

better figure what kind of surround music you'll play on you super duper refurbished Sansui. Looks far cooler than nearly everything I own. Cool!!

One of my future projects is to refurbish a QRX-6500 & 5500. I inherited them both. No rush, since they were free. Your Sansui is better anyway!! really.

No rush. We already have 5 working surround systems. No!?! We're that crazy. Husband says I'm the one that's nuts. B&K, Denon, Sony, Onkyo (laundry room running as 2ch!) and vintage Marantz Quad.

Still, I'm envious! Welcome to QQ! Keep us apprised of your progress with this great, classic piece!!

Lots of great folks here at QQ.

better figure what kind of surround music you'll play on you super duper refurbished Sansui. Looks far cooler than nearly everything I own. Cool!!
Thank you, one of the many great things about growing up in the 70s was Record Shops. Every payday ended with a stop at my favorite shop (Normally knew what I wanted, but there was always something new playing). It was always a 2-3 hr affair.....so I have a couple hundred pieces of vinyl here. Was on such a high last night knowing that I will indeed get my Sansui rebuilt, I pulled out 2 cases of albums looking to see what I have, cuz I haven't gone thru them since the 80's and have forgotten.
My memory said I had about a dozen Quad albums, but could only find a few......But, boy has my music listening choices has changed🤣🤣🤣
Still have alot that have withstood the test of time. Just holding my Pink Floyd album I could hear the clocks, 😁

Attachments

• 20230718_165749.jpg
    20230718_165749.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Bruce, looks like you've got a few ready and waiting. I've got everything in Quad, not the Bach album. I didn't buy that one. Yet, I have hundreds of classical 5.1 surround/Quad.

OK, call me nit-picky. Are all those ALL Quad LP's? OK, I can clearly see that many are. What about ZZ Top, Eat a Peach, Hotel California? Eat a Peach was released on CD-4 and I have that (5.1 SACD, too). Am I missing the markings? The other two were released on Q8 and DVD-A 5.1 respectively, though not Quad LP. Blow by Blow was released on SQ Quad. Can't see of it is. Can you please clarify? It may be my eyes at 70, or the glare from lighting. I'm curious...

Thanks in advance.

Thank you, one of the many great things about growing up in the 70s was Record Shops. Every payday ended with a stop at my favorite shop (Normally knew what I wanted, but there was always something new playing). It was always a 2-3 hr affair.....so I have a couple hundred pieces of vinyl here. Was on such a high last night knowing that I will indeed get my Sansui rebuilt, I pulled out 2 cases of albums looking to see what I have, cuz I haven't gone thru them since the 80's and have forgotten.
My memory said I had about a dozen Quad albums, but could only find a few......But, boy has my music listening choices has changed🤣🤣🤣
Still have alot that have withstood the test of time. Just holding my Pink Floyd album I could hear the clocks, 😁
I hear you, things disappear. It's a story in my case of a divorce and my wife hiding stuff from me.
I came away with the very few Quad LP's I have to this day.
I think 2 x CD-4 and a couple of SQ LP's.

Bruce, looks like you've got a few ready and waiting. I've got everything in Quad, not the Bach album. I didn't buy that one. Yet, I have hundreds of classical 5.1 surround/Quad.

OK, call me nit-picky. Are all those ALL Quad LP's? OK, I can clearly see that many are. What about ZZ Top, Eat a Peach, Hotel California? Eat a Peach was released on CD-4 and I have that (5.1 SACD, too). Am I missing the markings? The other two were released on Q8 and DVD-A 5.1 respectively, though not Quad LP. Blow by Blow was released on SQ Quad. Can't see of it is. Can you please clarify? It may be my eyes at 70, or the glare from lighting. I'm curious...

Thanks in advance.
No the ZZ Top, Hotel Cali, Eat a Peach are not. I was very surprised to find the Jeff Beck was not, because I played that album many times and remember (LOL, I can't remember yesterday) the separation. Maybe it was my 9001 doing its job playing it in Quad OR maybe Iam just nutz....I turn 70 in 2 months so Iam many years from when I was spinning vinyl nightly.😂
I was surprised to find so few Quad albums, but I got another crate of vinyl and a box of reel to reel tapes, so maybe I will still find more

Boy do I resemble that remark. My eyesight is about total crap these days at 73.
I had cataract surgery at 73, and although my distance vision is back to that of a 17-year-old, I need readers, and sadly, I treat my glasses like a 17-year-old would, so the screen I’m looking at has scratched patches on it.

Back