Hello All

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm getting that "black spot pool" from my left eye. When I first noticed it , I freaked out as it looked like some big black monster following my gaze.
Now the effects are diminished from that startling effect, but every day I see things from the corner of my left eye that simply aren't there (physically, anyway).
Actually my distance vision is pretty good.
But I was a late adopter to progressive lenses from trifocals (about 65 ish) and had one hell of a time high stepping around until I got used to them. I had to make several adjustments on the new ones, I almost have to duck my head and look through the top of the lenses for distance....or just take them off. lol. Mine are optimized for staring at...what else...a monitor. Was hard to make them understand I needed a focal point at arms length or a little further. (my monitor is a 28", not huge). Waiting on a DP cable for full 4K/Gsync capability.

Ah what sad things await you young folks! ROTFLOL!
Life is good.

Whilst I was sitting here daydreaming, I was thinking how freaking awesomely huge and pretty those old Sansui's were/are. I owned one briefly but I also had a Kenwood on the way with a slide-in CD-4 demodulator. I was exceeding my drop shipment weight from the Army so I sold the Sansui. I was short on bucks and I really wanted the CD-4 without spending more or probably couldn't afford the plane ticket home after separation. At least that's the way I remember it, Was 50 years ago, so....
Don't remember the model Kenwood now, only that it was 45W/ch x 4 and the CD-4 demod. Retail was about $1000 in '72/73. Military Audio Store price: $555.
I think the drop shipment weight max was about 200 lbs and the audio gear packed in wooden crates was heavy.

Forgive my musing, but I was sitting here once again trying to tally up the quad equipment I ended up with.
I bought, sold and traded through components but this is what I had at the end.

The Kenwood AVR w/CD-4 demod
Thorenz TT with Audio Technica cart, shibata stylus
Panny Q8 player
Infiniti 1001 speakers x 4
Kenwood cassette player/recorder (I think A350?) (I sold a perfectly fine Technics 3 head deck with touch transport controls, like a dumb ass)

I bought a new Ford full size Van sometime after leaving the military. At one time I had the panny Q8 sitting on the motor cover, powered by an inverter off the 12V system. I had 4 bookshelf speakers arranged in the van, (came with the panny Q8) and a TV that ran off 12V. I custom fitted the inside, and kept a feather mattress inside for my new Daughter, who just turned 49 yesterday.

I'm getting that "black spot pool" from my left eye. When I first noticed it , I freaked out as it looked like some big black monster following my gaze.
Now the effects are diminished from that startling effect, but every day I see things from the corner of my left eye that simply aren't there (physically, anyway).
But I was a late adopter to progressive lenses from trifocals (about 65 ish) and had one hell of a time high stepping around until I got used to them. I had to make several adjustments on the new ones, I almost have to duck my head and look through the top of the lenses for distance....or just take them off. lol. Mine are optimized for staring at...what else...a monitor. Was hard to make them understand I needed a focal point at arms length or a little further. (my monitor is a 28", not huge). Waiting on a DP cable for full 4K/Gsync capability.

Life is good.

Whilst I was sitting here daydreaming, I was thinking how freaking awesomely huge and pretty those old Sansui's were/are. I owned one briefly but I also had a Kenwood on the way with a slide-in CD-4 demodulator. I was exceeding my drop shipment weight from the Army so I sold the Sansui. I was short on bucks and I really wanted the CD-4 without spending more or probably couldn't afford the plane ticket home after separation. At least that's the way I remember it, Was 50 years ago, so....
Don't remember the model Kenwood now, only that it was 45W/ch x 4 and the CD-4 demod. Retail was about $1000 in '72/73. Military Audio Store price: $555.
I think the drop shipment weight max was about 200 lbs and the audio gear packed in wooden crates was heavy.
Black spot is a concern not to be minimized. Get thee to an ophthalmologist as it can be a precursor to a retina detachment. Or other worrisome things.

Iam Bruce , AKA Bruce00, from NJ.
I jumped into the quad scene in the middle of the 70's with the purchase of a new Sansui QRX 9001 receiver and a set of 4 Sansui XP-X8000 speakers. Work had me traveling so I put everything in storage for what I thought would be a year or so......LOL So here I am just now setting up my system again.
I also have components from Nakamichi, Marantz, Uher, Sharp and a couple others I am forgetting. LOL, its an age thing
Also approx 300 vinyl albums of rock with the mandatory Quad albums from the 70's

My main reason for joining other than to see where we are 50ys later in Quad is, any members use QRXrestore in Eugene Oregon lately?
I heard of Jims passing, may he RIP

While reading posts while waiting for approval to post, I saw the post, 4 New Quadio releases......Even with the delay in shipping I ordered the combo set
Welcome Bruce. It's awesome that you are setting up your system again. In my mind, I can picture the 300 vinyl albums. More than likely, you have all the albums I had, but are now...just a memory. I recently joined this group and have a passion for Blu Ray Audio (BD-A) for the 4.0 and 5.1 mixes. Lately, I've been on a buying frenzy, while trying not to break the bank. I listened to this today and the 5.1 made it much more fun.

Attachments

• IMG-4348.jpg
    IMG-4348.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0

Life is good.

It sounds like you have AMD...an easy way to detect problems is to look at this and follow the instructions....this gives an overview of the various stages...there is no cure...most of the cases are age related..BUT...you can delay the disease IF you start taking a vitamin combination...this one has the exact formula that was arrived at in the AREDS study...don't be fooled by more expensive versions that add "extra" things....if you look to the left of this product it will give the amount of each vitamin....and that is a problem for some people...the levels of Vitamin E(1200%) and Zinc (727%) over the recommended dose are toxic for their system and they have side effects..

I know a lot about this topic because my retina detached in my left eye while I was up north taking care of my sister...I got snowed in for days and by the time I found a surgeon 10 days had elapsed before I could get the surgery...the surgeon was able to attach my retina but I lost the macula...which meant I lost my central vision...had I got medical assistance earlier I could have saved the macula...the operation was only about 40 minutes..BUT after the surgery my rehab was difficult...I had to be face down for 3 weeks...24 hours a day...some surgeons don't require the patient to do this so long...but my surgeon did...and my retina is still in place...4 months after the surgery I had to have another procedure...because the loss of the macula meant I had a space in my eye...called a macular hole...he closed it...

The end result is that I can't read anything in that eye...no cell phone..no computer screen....and if I didn't have normal vision in the other eye...I couldn't watch TV....If I go to places like Costco or Best Buy and look at TV's with my "bad eye"...I have to look at TV's over 80 inches...and then it depends on the image if I can see the picture normally...

Usually these diseases are age related....but not always...I was born with extreme nearsightedness which made me susceptible to retina detachment...there are some promising trials at one of the best eye hospitals

Emerging Treatments for Wet AMD

One of my future projects is to refurbish a QRX-6500 & 5500. I inherited them both. No rush, since they were free. Your Sansui is better anyway!! really.

No rush. We already have 5 working surround systems. No!?! We're that crazy. Husband says I'm the one that's nuts. B&K, Denon, Sony, Onkyo (laundry room running as 2ch!) and vintage Marantz Quad.

Still, I'm envious! Welcome to QQ! Keep us apprised of your progress with this great, classic piece!!

Lots of great folks here at QQ.

better figure what kind of surround music you'll play on you super duper refurbished Sansui. Looks far cooler than nearly everything I own. Cool!!
Your not running Quad in your laundry room!!! Sacrilege! How can you even show your face around here? :cool:)

Back