Oppo vs the World

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruce00

QQ Supporter
Okay, I got lots of questions and no clear answers searching the web, so I figured this would be my best source of information.
I already made a $300 mistake buying a new Sony 800M2 (Never would have bought if I knew there was no front display)
Iam a touchy, feely kind of guy, just ask my old girlfriends
Was bidding on an Oppo 105, that I lost because I was out {PGR Funeral) so thats on me.......

So, Is an Oppo Darby edition worth the difference when having a a new 8K LED TV?
Is there that much difference between a 102 and a 105, when all Iam looking for is playback?
Will an Oppo 95 serve my needs?
Will buying a Japanese edition Oppo have the display in Japanese, or are they switchable between languages?
Has anyone bought an Oppo thru a Japanese seller on Ebay? Ebay just smells of scams to me and sending $$ overseas makes me leery.......
***Is there a new piece of equipment that's comparable to an Oppo,?***
Iam looking to spend in the $1K range, if that helps, or do I need to up my monies?

Also, back in the day I always used a Shure M95ED on my Marantz 6300 to produce my quad thru my Sansui 9001
(IDK if the Sansui was taking what the Marantz sent it and synthesized it into quad or it was producing quad)
I just seem to remember (LOL my memory sucks) the store I bought my Marantz from recommended the Shure, so I always bought that model stylus.
Is there a better stylus available today for quad reproduction?

I bought a used 7.2 Yamaha home receiver from a seller on Ebay with a 100% rating. Seller describes the receiver as working with slight blemishes,
Receiver arrived with no sound, all lights work but no output. Seller doesn't answer messages.
Iam sending it back thru Ebay, (they know the reason) but still a hassle, I don't need or want

I put the Pyle back in action, so I can at least enjoy spinning vinyl, in a lower quality of audio.
My 9001 Sanusi will go for the refurbishment with QXR restore because I know what I have,
3 more months before it goes in, then the real wait begins
I'll continue buying vinyl and disc's.........but I got a boatload to learn.

So please put up with my stupidity on 2023 Quad, Iam still stuck in the 70's
Posted will listening to Ten Years After....A Space In Time In Stereo :(
With Al DiMeola next.....

Attachments

• 10 Years After.jpg
    10 Years After.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 4
I bought a used 7.2 Yamaha home receiver from a seller on Ebay with a 100% rating. Seller describes the receiver as working with slight blemishes,
Receiver arrived with no sound, all lights work but no output. Seller doesn't answer messages.
Iam sending it back thru Ebay, (they know the reason) but still a hassle, I don't need or want
If you haven't sent the AVR back yet, we could walk you through some basic troubleshooting.

You need the remote control for it, and a TV connected by HDMI.

If you haven't sent the AVR back yet, we could walk you through some basic troubleshooting.

You need the remote control for it, and a TV connected by HDMI.
Thank you for the offer, but I need to get some help moving my TV and stand away from the wall, before I can do that.
It's way too much to do alone

I'll try to put this as gently as possible, but it appears you have been spinning your wheels for a couple of weeks.
I don't know what all your challenges may be, but it seems you've been approaching this with a little too much Ready! - Fire! - Aim? ;)

It is mandatory to connect a TV to any disc spinner and AVR.
You will get nowhere otherwise.

Imagining you can get by without a remote control for each and only use the front panels is a hopeless fantasy, in my experience.

You can find a small, lightweight HDMI-compliant flat-panel TV for peanuts, new or used, if you only need it to control your audio equipment and not use it for big-screen home theater, OK?

You completely wasted your and the sellers time and money by failing to order the remote control for the Yamaha AVR you bought on e-bay.
I posted the Amazon link for a reason.
You will never know the reason why you can't get any sound out of it without a TV and remote.
And a copy of the AVR owner's manual available online.

It is 100% assumed by anyone here trying to offer advice or help that you have a video screen and HDMI connections.
It is only due to home theater technology that we now get quad and surround blu ray, sacd, dvd.

Hope that clears up the picture for you.
Best of luck, but please stop ordering and sending things back without a better understanding of what you are getting into.
It's really not that complicated. :geek:

I'll try to put this as gently as possible, but it appears you have been spinning your wheels for a couple of weeks.
I don't know what all your challenges may be, but it seems you've been approaching this with a little too much Ready! - Fire! - Aim? ;)

It is mandatory to connect a TV to any disc spinner and AVR.
You will get nowhere otherwise.

Imagining you can get by without a remote control for each and only use the front panels is a hopeless fantasy, in my experience.

You can find a small, lightweight HDMI-compliant flat-panel TV for peanuts, new or used, if you only need it to control your audio equipment and not use it for big-screen home theater, OK?

You completely wasted your and the sellers time and money by failing to order the remote control for the Yamaha AVR you bought on e-bay.
I posted the Amazon link for a reason.
You will never know the reason why you can't get any sound out of it without a TV and remote.

It is 100% assumed by anyone here trying to offer advice or help that you have a video screen and HDMI connections.
It is only due to home theater technology that we now get quad and surround blu ray, sacd, dvd.

Hope that clears up the picture for you.
Best of luck, but please stop ordering and sending things back without a better understanding of what you are getting into.
It's really not that complicated. :geek:
Didn't remember who posted the links for that Yamaha & remote....So Thank You for the links
And yes those were the ones I purchased. But the seller will not answer messages I've sent him/her
Which makes the situation 100% questionable, but in reality, the $130 is not the end of the world
And while Ive ordered cables and such, nothing has been sent back, just to clear that up

And you are 1000% correct that Iam wanting to set everything up now, as Ive waited long enough
I ordered and have gotten a 25 ft HDMI cable to hook into my living room TV
I do have a small/cheap tv in the garage, that could be pulled off the wall and brought into the house, but have a buddy that said he would stop by after work to help move the big tv stand, so thats why I have yet to hook up a tv

Thanks for your input, I do appreaciate it

Attachments

• Yamaha remote.jpg
    Yamaha remote.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Are you going to use analogue audio output from your blu ray player? If so the Oppo x5 series (95, 105, 205) have higher quality analogue audio outputs. If you are only going to use HDMI output for audio then the x3 series (93, 103, 203) are exactly the same except with lower quality analogue outputs.

* 9x - perfectly good player (I have a 95) but FLAC playback from USB is not gapless
* 10x - gains gapless FLAC playback, and HDMI inputs to use internal DACs
* 20x - gains 4K UHD blu rays playback

Additionally the 10x series (only) can rip SACDs with some third party software on USB.

Last edited:
Are you going to use analogue audio output from your blu ray player? If so the Oppo x5 series (95, 105, 205) have higher quality analogue audio outputs. If you are only going to use HDMI output for audio then the x3 series (93, 103, 203) are exactly the same except with lower quality analogue outputs.
The analogue from the 103 (and I assume the others} is still excellent. I have a 95 as well as the 103 and haven't noticed any better sound from the 95 even though it apparently has better DACs.

The 95 is nice in that it has separate stereo and multichannel outputs and also has balanced stereo outputs. The 103 (being newer) is much better with networking and can accept larger sized USB drives.

I do notice a huge audible difference with SACDs between (native) DSD and (converted) PCM, with both machines however.

I do notice a huge audible difference with SACDs between (native) DSD and (converted) PCM, with both machines however.
And I find that very hard to believe, as I may have said before. Unless you have huge speaker delays and large speaker gain settings, both of which are wrong and mucking things up, because with native DSD playback you don't get speaker delays/gain adjustments.

I have compared native DSD playback vs conversion to PCM on my Oppo 95 and I can't hear any difference at all.

It is also possible the Oppos are terrible at DSD to PCM conversion so what should be an inaudible conversion is not. But if so I can't hear it.

because with native DSD playback you don't get speaker delays/gain adjustments.
Not needed in most home listening environments anyway.
I have compared native DSD playback vs conversion to PCM on my Oppo 95 and I can't hear any difference at all.
There is a huge difference, if you can't hear it then you need better amps and speakers! The difference is not subtle! Just like the difference between MP3 and uncompressed audio, which you also claim to not be able to hear!
It is also possible the Oppos are terrible at DSD to PCM conversion so what should be an inaudible conversion is not. But if so I can't hear it.
I do believe that to be an issue. I get good results with Foobar conversion using the "small filter" and 176.4Khz, I haven't directly compared to DSD yet, to see if I notice any difference.

* 9x - perfectly good player (I have a 95) but FLAC playback from USB is not gapless
* 10x - gains gapless FLAC playback, and HDMI inputs to use internal DACs
* 20x - gains 4K UHD blu rays playback

Additionally the 10x series (only) can rip SACDs with some third party software on USB.
Not looking to hijack the thread but how do I set up analogue audio output with on oppo 95 or 105. I primarily use hdmi to my onkyo receiver. If I also connect stereo Cables from the oppo to the onkyo Should I be able to hear better stereo sound? Would my receiver automatically select the audio cables over hdmi or do I need to change a setting for this? Thanks

May I ask what you are expecting to be better from those Oppo models than from the Sony UDP X800M2 apart from the missing front panel display??
As @~dave~~wave~ and others already pointed out you will need a TV connected to get everything installed. The Oppo's front panel displays won't get you any further.
My recommendation is save your money on the Oppo and get your system properly connected first.
For us it is very difficult to give advice when we don't know what exactly you did.
Best regards and good luck!

Just like the difference between MP3 and uncompressed audio, which you also claim to not be able to hear!
I'm on the fence about that. When it's well done 320kbps MP3 I can't hear the difference, or sometimes think I can and sometimes can't. Most of the time with the usual crappy 128kbps MP3s I can hear it quite easily.

As @~dave~~wave~ and others already pointed out you will need a TV connected to get everything installed. The Oppo's front panel displays won't get you any further.
I have the front panel display on my Oppo 95 turned off, it displays briefly when I do something like press a button or a disc finishes and then it turns off. It's right in my eye line and I find it distracting when listening to music, and I agree with people that say it adds little or nothing to the usability.

Not looking to hijack the thread but how do I set up analogue audio output with on oppo 95 or 105. I primarily use hdmi to my onkyo receiver. If I also connect stereo Cables from the oppo to the onkyo Should I be able to hear better stereo sound? Would my receiver automatically select the audio cables over hdmi or do I need to change a setting for this? Thanks
The Oppo just outputs to analogue I believe. You may need to check some of the Oppo config menus for what speaker config, levels and delays are configured.

As to whether you'll hear better stereo sound, that depends on the DACs on your receiver vs the DACs in the Oppo and the analogue inputs on your receiver. Does the receiver have an analogue direct bypass mode? If not it may digitise the incoming stereo and feed it out through its DACs so you won't have gained anything.

I doubt very much your receiver will do any automatic switch to stereo. How can it when the Oppo analogue outputs will be carrying either a stereo downmix or the left/right of any surround music. You can't tell the Oppo to output nothing on stereo unless the source playing is 2.0. You'd likely need to press a Direct button or select a different input on your receiver.

The Oppo's analogue outputs are always active. You would have to select the direct analogue input on your receiver, assuming it has one. Much of the modern "junk" lacks such an input. Also if you listen to the analogue outputs with the HDMI cable connected to your TV or monitor make sure that the Oppo's HDMI output is not set to automatic or it will likely convert DSD to PCM for compatibility with the connected unit. Using the analogue outputs you don't care about audio through HDMI anyway, you just need it for the visual display.

Not needed in most home listening environments anyway.

There is a huge difference, if you can't hear it then you need better amps and speakers! The difference is not subtle! Just like the difference between MP3 and uncompressed audio, which you also claim to not be able to hear!

I do believe that to be an issue. I get good results with Foobar conversion using the "small filter" and 176.4Khz, I haven't directly compared to DSD yet, to see if I notice any difference.
Thanks for posting this. I always thought that I had to convert DSD to PCM. Your enthusiasm got me thinking I should try listening to my sacd's DSD setting. Oh. My. God. It's beautiful.

I bought an Oppo BDP-103 off EvilBay several years ago. Won't say what I paid for it except to say way too much. It arrived in pristine condition save some scratches around the HDMI outputs, as if someone was trying to reach the back of an audio cabinet and going by feel (and missing, lol)

I have tried the analog outs (I still have on old analog input AVR around) and honestly hear no better sound than just using straight HDMI > AVR.
As mentioned, the 103 will not do 4K video. It will rip SACD discs with easily available free software, if that means anything to you.
The unit otherwise produces good sound.

I also have paid for jailbreak firmware loaded, which allows for playing various formats over my home network (.iso especially) which allows to view e.g. a DVDA's menu system as if a disc were inserted. BUT jailbreak firmware can defeat or hamper scripting, which is necessary for ripping SACD.

I love Oppo's (I have 3) but honestly unless the price was right I would just look for something else.
However, a plus is the outfit in California that repairs Oppo's is still going strong, AFAIK. Usually very reasonable and fast, I have used them myself for an older unit. (well they are all getting a little long in the tooth now).

Back