I'm New Here

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Greetings, I'm new here from SoCal. I got into quad about 6 months ago. I bought some records at a garage sale, then later discovered that they were quad. As of late I've been buying some good ones. My first quad receiver was a Realistic STA-64. I recently bought a Sansui QRX-9001. I'm waiting on its delivery. I hope that it works as good as it says. Anyway, I'll be around. ✌️

Greetings, I'm new here from SoCal. I got into quad about 6 months ago. I bought some records at a garage sale, then later discovered that they were quad. As of late I've been buying some good ones. My first quad receiver was a Realistic STA-64. I recently bought a Sansui QRX-9001. I'm waiting on its delivery. I hope that it works as good as it says. Anyway, I'll be around. ✌️
Welcome!

Of course you know that you can play quad material on a newer receiver that plays 5.1 or 7.1 right? You may as well be set up to play modern surround formats as well. So many great 5.1 mixes to hear along with the quad or 4.0 ones. The newer receivers around found at great prices on the used market. I've paid $50 to $80 for my last two units, only had to head to ebay for the remote controls which I found pretty quickly.

Welcome!

Of course you know that you can play quad material on a newer receiver that plays 5.1 or 7.1 right? You may as well be set up to play modern surround formats as well. So many great 5.1 mixes to hear along with the quad or 4.0 ones. The newer receivers around found at great prices on the used market. I've paid $50 to $80 for my last two units, only had to head to ebay for the remote controls which I found pretty quickly.
I don't like the boring drab look of modern receivers. I mean, maybe one day I'll have no choice, you know? I'm a sucker for vu and signal meters.

Welcome.

So you don’t feel left out of more modern releases of vintage Quad or modern stuff, should you want to, you can still get into more modern surround stuff with a quad amp. There’s inexpensive DVD-Audio/SACD players from the 2000s era with RCA outputs, about $50 bucks, depending on condition. And there’s some older Blu-ray players with RCA outputs. And I’ve set the settings of the DVD-Audio/ SACD to configure 5.1 discs for Four Channel playback. Blu-ray players that have RCA output will play Quad.

Always glad to welcome in a new quadhead! While I certainly love to watch dancing meters, too, there are a handful of devices that use audio to put video on a TV screen, and it might be worth looking into a wurlyscope.

Of course, when it’s good, surround music can be really, really good all by itself. But you’ll be on a fairly steep (and expensive!) learning curve for a bit, and you’ll find out just what moves you to tears or brings you great joy.

Oh, man. Another example of the quadraphonic/surround syndrome. The guy innocently picks up a few records cheaply at a garage sale, not even realizing they are quad at the time. That prompts him to buy a reasonably priced Radio Shack amp to play them. But within six months, he has bought the Sansui QRX-9001 - the king of all quad legacy receivers. The seed has been planted. Another soul has succumbed to the surround sound habit.

Next it will be a Tate 101, the Sansui QSD-1, 2 or 1000, a S&IC, a Surround Master then CD-4 decoders and then....well, everyone on this forum knows how it goes. He's caught quadrophenia.

Welcome to the addiction,,,I mean, hobby, hobby, HOBBY! All of us with the same affliction welcome a new convert!! :D

Last edited:
Haha, Wagonmaster_91, you're not wrong! I can see how easy it is to get sucked into the world of quadraphonic sound. It all starts with a few interesting finds, and then before you know it, you're on the hunt for the holy grail of surround sound equipment.

Oh, man. Another example of the quadraphonic/surround syndrome. The guy innocently picks up a few records cheaply at a garage sale, not even realizing they are quad at the time. That prompts him to buy a reasonably priced Radio Shack amp to play them. But within six months, he has bought the Sansui QRX-9001 - the king of all quad legacy receivers. The seed has been planted. Another soul has succumbed to the surround sound habit.

Next it will be a Tate 101, the Sansui QSD-1, 2 or 1000, a S&IC, a Surround Master then CD-4 decoders and then....well, everyone on this forum knows how it goes. He's caught quadrophenia.

Welcome to the addiction,,,I mean, hobby, hobby, HOBBY! All of us with the same affliction welcome a new convert!! :D
You'd get me into trouble with the Mrs.if she saw that list. LOL! Actually, this Sansui Receiver does it for me. I had to settle on a receiver and sell off my others. My wife was getting worried that I was becoming a stereo horder. It wasn't so much quad that I was after, as a good receiver with the option for quad playing. Though I am interested in mixing some modern stuff in quad using audio software.

Last edited:
Welcome!

Thanks, I'll have to look into that. I'll try to hunt down some of those mixes. 👍

Welcome.

So you don’t feel left out of more modern releases of vintage Quad or modern stuff, should you want to, you can still get into more modern surround stuff with a quad amp. There’s inexpensive DVD-Audio/SACD players from the 2000s era with RCA outputs, about $50 bucks, depending on condition. And there’s some older Blu-ray players with RCA outputs. And I’ve set the settings of the DVD-Audio/ SACD to configure 5.1 discs for Four Channel playback. Blu-ray players that have RCA output will play Quad.
Thanks, I think that I have some CD/DVD players with 5.1, but I never ventured into surround sound. I thought that was made more for watching movies and TV.

From what I can find, there's not a big selection to choose from. I picked up a couple of flawless ones...Dark Side of the Moon and Paranoid. I got some nice Jethro Tull, Doors, and Iron Butterfly. About 15 so far.
The number of quad LPs is vast, although some of them are priced well into the “more bucks than brains” category. I found a list of quad recordings sometime arounf the turn of the millineum, and it’s about 20 pages long, IIRC.

I think I have about a hundred quad LPs in various formats. And then there’s the digital collection, which is making a comeback, at least around these parts.

Back