Large LP Pressing Plant Is Shutting Down

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just did a needledrop of Roy Harper’s HQ from the 1975 UK Harvest EMI original. God darn it came out good in 34/96kHz.

Got a new AT cart for myself as a Christmas present. A gift to me and to my nicer rare and vintage vinyl.
I have the U.S. version entitled "When an Old Cricketer Leaves the Crease", still in pristine condition. I also have the CD, which is titled "HQ" and I think it has more tracks on it. This actually got some radio airplay back in the day on Phila. radio. Still a great album!

These plants have been on a 25 year life support roll. By all rights the LP should have slowly slipped into history along with Beta&VHS tapes, 8 tracks and cassettes, sun dials, etc. :) The high end print and web media pumped some extended life into them to keep a big the cash cow alive. This won't last forever and the LP will soon slide into it's appropriate place in the museums next to the already mentioned media, along with the 78, Edison cyclinder, and the rest.
RIP LP, it was fun. ;)

That is my guess.
Although it could be 32 bit/96 kHz.
It was a typo. I’m posting late nights at a job site on my cell phone. And I try to catch the typos and will often go back and edit / correct the messy posts. But at least (most of the time) I’m getting paid while I read and post in the forums.

I have the U.S. version entitled "When an Old Cricketer Leaves the Crease", still in pristine condition. I also have the CD, which is titled "HQ" and I think it has more tracks on it. This actually got some radio airplay back in the day on Phila. radio. Still a great album!
Yes I have that CD which has more tracks - but I’m not convinced on the sound being tops. The EMI LP has a touch more thunder. The US “Cricketer” LP is find sounding too, and likely beats the CD. But I went for my U.K. Harvest LP as a first choice. I will need to compare both as I want the very best LP dine at 24/96 - as I think it’s his finest work period.

Which AT did you get? And I’m not familiar with 34/96?
Indeed 24/96 is my current standard capture rates.
Audio Technica AT540ML is the model.
Which cart?
This Audio Technica is the newer replacement for the trusted AT 440ML, but is rated higher and is more expensive to boot!

I’m breaking out some rare vinyl I had put off in transferring to digital because I wanted a more warmer natural sounding cart - but still retain the wonderful tracking of the AT Fine-Line tip. Mint Nautilus, Direct Disk Labs, and MFSL 1/2 speed mastered LPs have been sitting (bagged up) decades waiting for me to get around to them. I broke out my London Wavelength BBC Rock Hour transcription 2LP Set last weekend. This is a set produced for US broadcast in 1982 that contains the live BBC Led Zeppelin material from 1969 & 1971. Most of this stuff got a official release on CD. But that issued release has the “It’s Your Thing” cover edited out of “How Many More Times”. So I needed that one done eventually. I used to make cassettes off of this LP set, but eventually decided (in 1986) to not play it anymore thinking I’d wear it out even with good carts / stylus’. The new cart tracked this cleaned near perfect set like a dream. I love this hobby and 16/44.1 and the eventual 24/96kHz captures are just amazing to me when I have the right cart and newish styli.

Indeed 24/96 is my current standard capture rates.
Audio Technica AT540ML is the model.

This Audio Technica is the newer replacement for the trusted AT 440ML, but is rated higher and is more expensive to boot!

I’m breaking out some rare vinyl I had put off in transferring to digital because I wanted a more warmer natural sounding cart - but still retain the wonderful tracking of the AT Fine-Line tip. Mint Nautilus, Direct Disk Labs, and MFSL 1/2 speed mastered LPs have been sitting (bagged up) decades waiting for me to get around to them. I broke out my London Wavelength BBC Rock Hour transcription 2LP Set last weekend. This is a set produced for US broadcast in 1982 that contains the live BBC Led Zeppelin material from 1969 & 1971. Most of this stuff got a official release on CD. But that issued release has the “It’s Your Thing” cover edited out of “How Many More Times”. So I needed that one done eventually. I used to make cassettes off of this LP set, but eventually decided (in 1986) to not play it anymore thinking I’d wear it out even with good carts / stylus’. The new cart tracked this cleaned near perfect set like a dream. I love this hobby and 16/44.1 and the eventual 24/96kHz captures are just amazing to me when I have the right cart and newish styli.
The 540 or the 740? I currently have a 740 stylus on a 440 body.

These plants have been on a 25 year life support roll. By all rights the LP should have slowly slipped into history along with Beta&VHS tapes, 8 tracks and cassettes, sun dials, etc. :) The high end print and web media pumped some extended life into them to keep a big the cash cow alive. This won't last forever and the LP will soon slide into it's appropriate place in the museums next to the already mentioned media, along with the 78, Edison cyclinder, and the rest.
RIP LP, it was fun. ;)
Just like Rock music, right?

See how cynical that sounds?

Just like Rock music, right?

See how cynical that sounds?
Just like the SACD should have died, and the Quadraphonic SACD should be double-whammy'd with the death blow by now, a very dead playback configuration on a dying media format = double-whammy. All over by by now.

Just like the SACD should have died, and the Quadraphonic SACD should be double-whammy'd with the death blow by now, a very dead playback configuration on a dying media format = double-whammy.

But it hasn't. The Stereo and Multichannel SACDs keep on coming.... :)

RIP LP, it was fun. ;)
I love my 70's 1st press vinyl. Some of it has a certain analog magic to it.
Nowadays if the source is digital why bother putting it on analog vinyl ??!

Back