Rolling Stones Goats Head Soup Deluxe Edition (with 5.1 & Dolby Atmos mixes!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't understand why you all are saying there is no 5.1 mix? Am I doing something wrong? AudioMuxer returned a 5.1 mix from the 5.1 MKV and a 7.1 mix from the 7.1 MKV.

I have two different mixes in Sound Forge. So what exactly do I have?

I don't understand why you all are saying there is no 5.1 mix? Am I doing something wrong? AudioMuxer returned a 5.1 mix from the 5.1 MKV and a 7.1 mix from the 7.1 MKV.

Isn't there a difference in resolution of the 5.1 DD and 7.1 TrueHD?

Last edited:
Well, the packaging for Goats Head Soup is undeniably gorgeous and an actual Jamaican recipe for Goats Head Soup is included [YUM]. Initial impressions:
Favorable but not overwhelming for those of us who like our remixes DISCRETE.

As Jon indicated from his graphs, there is on the plus side no brickwalling. Everything is clear and concise. When ANGIE played, I have to admit I had a few goosebumps......sounds like a brand new recording with the rears awash with Mick's stunning vocals and those strings.....Oh, so sweet!

I did play the Universal Stereo SHM~SACD of GHS the other day and actually prefer this newly remixed/remastered BD~A. I'm not equipped for ATMOS and will be anxious to hear the reaction of those who do, but for now, I consider this 2020 remix/remaster of the Stones' classic somewhat definitive.

I just wish for those who did not invest in this box set [it's NOT cheap] that a future stand alone BD~A is released and another question arises: Will ALL future Stones' remixes be indivually released as massive box sets....and if so, will Sticky Fingers come with a REAL ZIPPER on the cover like the fab original gatefold LP?
With the INFLATABLE PHALLIC SYMBOL that was used on the Tour of Americas tour in '75 :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :love: :love: :love: :SB :SB :SB

If I open the thing in VLC Media Player, I get two choices:

screen.jpg

Could you compare it to the Abbey Road disc? The MakeMKV screenshot...

My copy arrived and I spot-listened to a few tracks. First impressions are really good! Backing vocals and piano in the rears on "Dancing With Mr. D". The horns and 'doo doo doo' backing vocals come blasting from the back in "Heartbreaker". Orchestra swells back there in "Angie".

The box set, however, is one of the most poorly-constructed I've seen to date. The book is glued into the box for some reason?

My copy arrived and I spot-listened to a few tracks. First impressions are really good! Backing vocals and piano in the rears on "Dancing With Mr. D". The horns and 'doo doo doo' backing vocals come blasting from the back in "Heartbreaker". Orchestra swells back there in "Angie".

The box set, however, is one of the most poorly-constructed I've seen to date. The book is glued into the box for some reason?
You mean you couldn't tell by the pictures before ordering that the book was most likely attached to the Box itself? o_O

Which simply implies Jonathan, that you'll be glued to your seat upon perusing the book!

Glad you're enjoying the remix......it really is SPECIAL.

When I play on my Oppo I get 2.0 and 7.1 Atmos no 5.1 option!
Maybe they meant to advertise it with the 5.1 option as a "down-mix" only option and not a separate 5.1 DTS-HD Master, I don't know what VLC in Jon's example is showing. Does VLC differentiate between any of these formats or just available channels? Now can I hear the difference with the mastering off this, who the hell knows :)
It does advertise on the udiscovermusic page: 96 kHz/24 bit DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
GHS RES AD.jpg

Last edited:
Actually, Mike, most UHD4K discs only have atn ATMOS/7.1 option but fold down successfully to 5.1 with NO PROBLEMA!
Yeah, but there is precedent for audio blu-rays shipping with Atmos and non-Atmos surround mixes, e.g. Abbey Road.
And some people are claiming the mix is unimpressive on their systems, some of whom do not have Atmos capability.
I'd be pissed if I were them and there were no chance to try a dedicated 5.1 mix.

Yeah, but there is precedent for audio blu-rays shipping with Atmos and non-Atmos surround mixes, e.g. Abbey Road.
And some people are claiming the mix is unimpressive on their systems, some of whom do not have Atmos capability.
I'd be pissed if I were them and there were no chance to try a dedicated 5.1 mix.
So Mike, think maybe we can get you to do a Review with some of those Atmos heights isolated to see what they're sticking up there?

I'd be pissed if I were them and there were no chance to try a dedicated 5.1 mix

It’s quite possible these are all mediocre mixes, in which case 7.1, Atmos or DTS won’t make any difference.

Back