Listening now to this stereo/mono CD.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aztec New Mexico.What a cool name for a town. Anything like Las Vegas NM which I actually visited once?
Does the name refer to a connection with that civilization?

2E1D29CD-42E1-4DFC-8C7B-F070C3F0E948.jpeg
5327C635-07B2-49DB-B992-CF89EBEB7B53.jpeg
E3C3AB0E-EFBC-4BCA-AD01-BEB71941819A.jpeg
613B7F6E-97CA-4341-A982-49309067D7EB.jpeg
53D3DCEE-80E3-4270-8EBF-FDE696553AA4.jpeg

What a beautiful package !!

Hard bound book with all four discs from the series, a fifth disc compiling the bonus download tracks for each album, and a performance DVD interspersed with dialogue.
Complete lyrics included and tons of great pictures

Last edited:
Aztec New Mexico.What a cool name for a town. Anything like Las Vegas NM which I actually visited once?
Does the name refer to a connection with that civilization?
I confess that I take a certain measure of pride in having an Aztec address.
I've been in Las Vegas, NM, a few times and although they're both small-ish towns, I don't really see any similarities. I heard that the TV show Longmire was shot in and around Las Vegas.
Finally, yes, he name does have a connection to that civilization. Our community is the site of the Aztec Ruins National Monument.

The Moody Blues - This Is The Moody Blues

Originally released by Decca in 1974
This MQA-CD version is dated 12/23/2020

I’m playing this disc via an OPPO UDP-205 player which is (as far as I know) fully MQA capable into a Denon AVR-X4400-H receiver via (everyone’s favorite connection) HDMI. Unfortunately, the Denon is not MQA capable. So, it looks like the 205 is only doing the first unfold into the Denon. According to the Denon remote app, it’s receiving only 88.2 kHz versus 352.8 kHz.

A while back, I read that this disc sounds better than the previous Quad SACD reissues. I haven’t compared them and don’t plan to but I’m very happy with the quality of the sound that I’m hearing.

1618101700512.jpeg

pulled this one out of the archives. fantastic late 80s british alt pop...aka echo and the bunnymen. digging it and the memories. april 1 1990. kalamazoo state theater. a 1200 seat old skool performance hall. opener was matthew sweet. he walks out and proceeds to play solo acoustic for 45 minutes. witty and popish. next up was the ocean blue. great band but too 'on edge ' this night. then the mighties .....the headliner. danced and danced the night with my date. great evening. oh--btw - I ended up marrying that gal !!

mightylemon.jpg

Listening to Joni Mitchell Archives Vol 1 (1963-1967) CD 1. Mono recordings, 16/44.1 DR's are 9's, 10's, 11's, 12's, 14, 15.
Beautiful box set of the young Joni Mitchell getting her carrer going. All 5 discs are mono I think? Little bit of recording errors, tape hiss, etc, just adds to the overall listening experience in a positive way.
R-16131500-1605436715-6043.jpeg.jpg
R-16131500-1605436713-6604.jpeg.jpg

I’m playing this disc via an OPPO UDP-205 player which is (as far as I know) fully MQA capable into a Denon AVR-X4400-H receiver via (everyone’s favorite connection) HDMI. Unfortunately, the Denon is not MQA capable. So, it looks like the 205 is only doing the first unfold into the Denon. According to the Denon remote app, it’s receiving only 88.2 kHz versus 352.8 kHz.

A while back, I read that this disc sounds better than the previous Quad SACD reissues. I haven’t compared them and don’t plan to but I’m very happy with the quality of the sound that I’m hearing.

View attachment 65799

I remember wondering about the MQA playback on the Oppo 205 and I think it only works with a USB source...not those CD's...something along these lines

View attachment 65799
I wouldn't worry about the sample rate, it should be decoding to 24-bit which is the important aspect as that gives you the signal level resolution, so I would hope the 205 is doing that.

As an engineer I am dubious of the value of MQA as I am not certain how much is based on interpolation (so creating samples) and how much is based on encoding higher resolution into the unused data packet positions on a CD, the basis is 16-bit 44.1KHz data though.

I remember wondering about the MQA playback on the Oppo 205 and I think it only works with a USB source...not those CD's...something along these lines

It does decode MQA discs too. Though, the sampling limitation with PCM discs is only 192 kHz vs up to 768 kHz via the USB input.

I wouldn't worry about the sample rate, it should be decoding to 24-bit which is the important aspect as that gives you the signal level resolution, so I would hope the 205 is doing that.

Well, I don’t worry about it because I‘m using Audyssey XT32 that limits the sampling rate to 48 kHz, which is good enough. Although, supposedly, my Denon AVR resamples the rate back to 192 kHz via Alpha Processing.

I have one MQA disc Rebecca Pigeon The Raven which my Oppo plays. Having no other version I don't know how this compares. I don't understand why this format was created and what its advantage is.
For instance I'm happy to buy a hybrid SACD or CD plus DVD package.

Back