Van Der Graaf Generator - 5.1 mixes coming in 2021. It's happening!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've heard of them but can't say I've ever really knowingly listened to them. If they are stand-alone releases I will definitely be checking at least one of them out.

Wow and quadruple Wow!! :LB This is not a band I'd expected to get the surround treatment, but the music will work really well in surround. It took me a long time to get into them when I was younger (I have tickets to see them at the twice rescheduled gig next year). I'm really glad I didn't get any of the expensive Japanese stereo SACDs now (sorry Ralphie).
Edit: I haven't read my Prog mag, there are a few in the pile next to the to listen too pile!

Great news! Hope I have my hearing sorted out by the time they are releases. I have been laying low here since I haven’t enjoyed much surround the past six months. I have lost a lot of hearing in my right ear and it seemed to happen very fast. Turns out it is most likely otosclerosis and an operation might restore it almost completely. Buy surround isn’t as much fun with only one ear...it’s almost a blessing that it’s been a pretty slow year so far for surround. Bring on these and a few more Santana and we are on track again!

Does this mean we'll get a SPECIAL Van Der GRAAF GENERATOR edition of LIFE IN SURROUND From Gen~Xer Mikey Vieira LIVE FROM SNOODVILLE:SB
Honestly, this will be a "new to me classic" if the release is affordable.
I've heard them mentioned, from time to time, but I could not tell you one of their songs.

The latest Prog magazine arrived this morning, including a big Peter Hammill article. Within this was a sub piece about current Van Der Graaf news, and Peter Hammill says that the band's classic albums are now owned by Universal, and reissues are coming later this year. He says that these will include 5.1 mixes, which have already been done. Well I for one will go with :LB:51QQ:SB:LB.

No details of format or how they'll be released, but he says the 5.1 mixes are excellent, and were done by Stephen Tayler (who I think mixed the recent Be Bop Deluxe reissue series), with Van Der Graaf's keyboardist/bassist Hugh Banton being heavily involved.

When this was first posted, I was excited but a little perplexed, only because I couldn't understand why these were being remixed by Stephen W Tayler instead of Steven Wilson (who is a MASSIVE fan of VdGG and Peter Hammill's solo albums as evidenced by the Album Years podcast.)

Anyway, now it all makes sense to me.
A lot of the recent VdGG releases have been on the Esoteric label, which is owned and operated by Mark Powell, and it seems like Stephen W Tayler is now one of Mark's go-to guys for 5.1 remixing (as evidenced by the incredibly great Be Bop Deluxe reissues) so it all makes sense now, and this is certainly welcome news!

As for the release date, maybe June or July perhaps?

:)

Hopefully Esoteric is seeing this excitement and utilizes lossless codec for these releases...🤔

But I don't think these will be released by Esoteric. Mark does work on projects for Universal, so I think this is gonna be one of those. I'm anticipating DVD-V discs with DTS 96/24 audio at best.

Honestly, this will be a "new to me classic" if the release is affordable.
I've heard them mentioned, from time to time, but I could not tell you one of their songs.
They had one song over here which was used by BBC Radio 1 as a theme tune, a cover of George Martin's Theme One (yes that George Martin!) released in 1972 as a 7" single in Europe Van der Graaf Generator - Theme One - Bing video only appeared on the US version of Pawn Hearts I believe.

It's unfortunate that the debut, Aerosol Grey Machine is tied up with another recent box set (per Ryan). It would just be cool if they could start with debut album, and march right through the catalogue (assuming tapes exist)

Honestly, I'm mostly unfamiliar with VDG's music, but this could be a new love affair, just like when I first experienced King Crimson. I've been checking out some tunes and it's right up my alley (these days). Some of the stuff is slightly more trippy than I thought it would be, again, cool with me. I'm a sucker for excellent early 70's music.

When this was first posted, I was excited but a little perplexed, only because I couldn't understand why these were being remixed by Stephen W Tayler instead of Steven Wilson (who is a MASSIVE fan of VdGG and Peter Hammill's solo albums as evidenced by the Album Years podcast.)

Anyway, now it all makes sense to me.
A lot of the recent VdGG releases have been on the Esoteric label, which is owned and operated by Mark Powell, and it seems like Stephen W Tayler is now one of Mark's go-to guys for 5.1 remixing (as evidenced by the incredibly great Be Bop Deluxe reissues) so it all makes sense now, and this is certainly welcome news!

As for the release date, maybe June or July perhaps?

:)
It would be great, but is June or July likely, when there has been no actual announcement yet, just a mention by Peter Hammill in an interview. I'm keeping an eye out with fevered anticipation for when we get more news.

I always find it interesting how there are bands that are big in Europe that are barely footnotes in the US and vice-versa. I'd say VDG is one of them.... similarly Slade and Status Quo.
I am sure there are plenty of US bands that made a splash here and are barely known in Europe.

Back