King Biscuit Flower Hour

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not 100 percent positive, but I've looked at the Jefferson Starship thing a couple of times and I don't think it is quad. I think that show was the last one on reel to reel, and it also went out as lp, it looks like. And yes, those previous torrents I talked about are not decoded in the form they are presently in. The end of the quad shows is a big question mark, as even though the announcements at the beginning of the show stop in early 77, there still might be some that snuck through after that. At the same time, there are some shows before the supposed end of the quad broadcasts that seem like they are only stereo.
Not quad. Thought it was. It's not.

Last edited by a moderator:
fwiw, a TEAC 3300S-2T is a good deck for 1/2 track transfers. I'd run it over to use for a Saturday if ;you were still in IL.

I'm not 100 percent positive, but I've looked at the Jefferson Starship thing a couple of times and I don't think it is quad. I think that show was the last one on reel to reel, and it also went out as lp, it looks like. And yes, those previous torrents I talked about are not decoded in the form they are presently in. The end of the quad shows is a big question mark, as even though the announcements at the beginning of the show stop in early 77, there still might be some that snuck through after that. At the same time, there are some shows before the supposed end of the quad broadcasts that seem like they are only stereo.

So you think maybe end of 77 .
Let's not forget BEST OF BISCUIT'S which continued for sometime.
:)

So you think maybe end of 77 .
Let's not forget BEST OF BISCUIT'S which continued for sometime.
:)
I say I THINK because I am making my best guess. And yes, the best of the biscuit and all the re-broadcasts of the original shows that may or may not have been remixed make things extra confusing. Just makes the detective work that much more entertaining.

I suppose it would help to know the exact date of the fire at the Biscuit Archive. Some time in the 80's leaves it open to speculate on a whole decade .
And of course there are some private recordings out there.

Different story for BBC cds , some are and some are not from the quad encodes. It all depends on the source , original broadcast tapes or new stereo mixes.
Fizzy, I just did a quick look online and it looks like the fire was in January of 82.

It was not widely known, about this fire at the time. And it was not known if everything went up in smoke or half of it did. The only signs I saw that they did not lose the multitracks is that once in a while I would hear a repeated show on "The Best of The Biscuit" where there would be one song added that was never broadcast before. And often this re-broadcast would be missing two songs that were previously included. So there was that trade-off. But for us collectors who had the old version of the show this new song was a nice late bonus. The Edgar Winter Group '73 KBFH show had the track "Rock and Roll Boogie Woogie Blues" appear in a later broadcast which was exciting to me at the time.

Now the Johnny Winter KBFH from '73 had only 4 songs broadcast at the time, and no further tracks have ever surfaced.

I also noticed that when KBFH went to CD, some of the CDs sent out were captured from the vinyl LP sets. I could hear small bits of ticks and clicks. They were transferred from very nice condition sets, but not completely click free. And these particular shows included no new fresh or unheard tracks.

Oh, and another interesting thing concerning the KBFH tapes. There have been several sets released on the bootleg market that contain extensive collections of material that is Biscuit recorded material, yet some of it was not included in any of the broadcasts. Sometimes these sets are 2CD, 3CD, or even 4CD box sets.

These include definitive live packages of:
Black Sabbath (NJ, 1975)
Stevie Ray Vaughan (Philly 83, Montreal 84)
The Rolling Stones (five venues from the '78 tour)

The SRV set has been issued, or copied by several labels, and even has a place-holder at Amazon like it is a real true authorized release. It's almost like the material, or some of the material has fallen into public domain. Maybe in certain countries it has.

Last edited:
It had never occurred to me that the broadcast cd's could have been transfers of broadcast lp's. Very interesting observation. With all this new chat about all things Biscuit, are there any plans to ever update the "eclipse" website? It has been a great resource, and it would be great if there were a way for it to be periodically updated when new information comes in.

It had never occurred to me that the broadcast cd's could have been transfers of broadcast lp's. Very interesting observation. With all this new chat about all things Biscuit, are there any plans to ever update the "eclipse" website? It has been a great resource, and it would be great if there were a way for it to be periodically updated when new information comes in.

I hope that website of "eclipse" features an update one day soon.
Would be nice.

Not quad. Thought it was. It's not.
Doing some archive work (ISOs to FLACs) and want to verify this is the same reel I've just made FLACs for and hunting a track list? First song after the commercials is (4) Jane and (8) is Somebody To Love; the rest is not familiar to me.
The files I have for this 'reel" are Jefferson KBFH.iso + Jefferson KBFH.mds

If this late Starship show is not even quad, I'm going to put it out of my (archiver's) misery. :)

Doing some archive work (ISOs to FLACs) and want to verify this is the same reel I've just made FLACs for and hunting a track list? First song after the commercials is (4) Jane and (8) is Somebody To Love; the rest is not familiar to me.
The files I have for this 'reel" are Jefferson KBFH.iso + Jefferson KBFH.mds

If this late Starship show is not even quad, I'm going to put it out of my (archiver's) misery. :)
This is what I have, I guess it could be called an "upmix" if not real quad:

Attachments

• Jefferson Starship - King Biscuit Flower Hour 1980 (back).bmp
    7.1 MB · Views: 81
  • Jefferson Starship - King Biscuit Flower Hour 1980 (disc).bmp
    5.6 MB · Views: 78
Does anyone familiar with the intro's of the Biscuit Shows know if the D.J.'s ever announced that the Concert was being broadcast in Quadraphonic , or SQ matrix ?

Always wondered about this.

Does anyone familiar with the intro's of the Biscuit Shows know if the D.J.'s ever announced that the Concert was being broadcast in Quadraphonic , or SQ matrix ?

Always wondered about this.
Do you mean the intro's by Bill Minkin? I can't recall if they all do, but definitely some do.

As far as local DJ's, I suppose it have depended on the market. But I would guess few did. They were just cueing the things up - if even that. I can't imagine many were aware - or even cared.

Back