Best version of Rush: Clockwork Angels?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, should I assume all releases of this are the same? Should I just pick up a CD?

I only have the CD so I have nothing else to compare it to. I am guessing the only other option might be a hi-rez download if one exists. When I saw your question I was as interested as you as to what other options besides the CD might be out there.

I remember at the time of the album's release it was said the vinyl version was a bit better sounding than the cd. Shame about the album not sounding better , as the material is so strong!

I remember at the time of the album's release it was said the vinyl version was a bit better sounding than the cd. Shame about the album not sounding better , as the material is so strong!
I think they wanted a noisy, dense, assault your senses, rock album. That's why they picked Raskulinecz (Foo Fighters) to produce. I think they felt it might make them sound more contemporary. I do love the album but if I listen to it too loud for too long, it starts to get on my nerves (and I could say the same thing about the Foo's albums). It would be interesting if they did the same remix deal with CA that they did with Vapor Trails.
And what the hell, mix it in 5.1 while they are at it.;)

I think they wanted a noisy, dense, assault your senses, rock album. That's why they picked Raskulinecz (Foo Fighters) to produce. I think they felt it might make them sound more contemporary. I do love the album but if I listen to it too loud for too long, it starts to get on my nerves (and I could say the same thing about the Foo's albums). It would be interesting if they did the same remix deal with CA that they did with Vapor Trails.
And what the hell, mix it in 5.1 while they are at it.;)
Rush albums have been brickwalled since Counterparts. As for a 5.1 mix, they tried with Snakes & Arrows and failed miserably.

Rush albums have been brickwalled since Counterparts. As for a 5.1 mix, they tried with Snakes & Arrows and failed miserably.

All albums up to and including Snakes and Arrows exist in a dynamic mastering since 2015. (Vapor Trails was remixed but it is not exactly dynamic)

As for 5.1, there are many other Rush albums that have been remixed in 5.1 as you (should) know.

The latter day Rush did absolutely nothing for me. I am talking Test For Echo through to the end. Sure, there were a few songs here and there that were decent, and some decent instrumentals, but by and large the material sounded forced and there was a sameness to a lot of it. You would think that a band like them, with as much talent as they had, would had not felt the need to try to appear relevant and to try to keep up with current musical trends.

I kept going to the shows though, just as I had through their “keyboard” phase. But at least that era produced a lot of memorable moments, even if they aren’t considered classics. At least they still delivered live constantly so I give them that. I think I saw pretty much every tour from 1977 right through to the end.

I have both the vinyl and CD versions of Clockwork Angels. The vinyl sounds better to me and doesn't cause the 'everything loud all the time' ear fatigue. I haven't measured the DR, so I can't speak to that.

I have both the vinyl and CD versions of Clockwork Angels. The vinyl sounds better to me and doesn't cause the 'everything loud all the time' ear fatigue. I haven't measured the DR, so I can't speak to that.
The vinyl is obviously out of print, I tried to locate a used one and the cheapest one on discogs is like $199 :censored:

Looks like everything is brickwalled to hell except the vinyl according to the Dynamic Range DB.

All albums up to and including Snakes and Arrows exist in a dynamic mastering since 2015. (Vapor Trails was remixed but it is not exactly dynamic)

As for 5.1, there are many other Rush albums that have been remixed in 5.1 as you (should) know.
It's the only studio album that had a 5.1 mix on release. All others are either live albums (I have several of them) or remixes of older studio albums (I have two of those).

Shame about the album not sounding better , as the material is so strong!
I can't disagree more on that second point. A weak note to end on for one of the strongest bands in history. I wish they hadn't released this.
Looks like everything is brickwalled to hell except the vinyl according to the Dynamic Range DB.
The TT/MAAT DRMeter is not designed for vinyl. It will read artificially high even when the mix/master is exactly the same and sounds the same as a digital release. All the vinyl entries should be removed from that database.
Even the 2013 Van Dette remaster of the original mix of Vapor Trails isn't really "dynamic." It's a real shame Sean Magee wasn't let loose on that one.

Last edited:
I can't disagree more on that second point. A weak note to end on for one of the strongest bands in history. I wish they hadn't released this.

I thought the exact opposite regarding the strength of CA album overall. I rank it above some of the albums that came out post Grace Under Pressure.
There were only two of their albums that I have a hard time ever wanting to listen to, Presto and Roll The Bones. I also thought Vapor Trails was a bit weak but given that it was their first album back from the abyss, I was just glad to have the band back.

Back