Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Attachments

• F02F68FA-2563-4D51-A999-8A8403A14192.png
    F02F68FA-2563-4D51-A999-8A8403A14192.png
    925.9 KB · Views: 1
Lots of new classical additions today, most of which I plan to get to over the weekend. Right now, before bed, I'm listening to music from the new Cate Blanchett film, Tár, which is mostly by Icelandic cellist & composer Hildur Guðnadottir (whose compositions have also appeared on a couple of Sono Luminus discs), along with bits of Elgar, Mahler, and Bach. A very good immersive mix in the revised Deutsche Grammophon house style--which is to say: more or less full use of all channels. Apparently Guðnadottir has also done the score for Women Talking, based on the recent novel by one of my favorite contemporary novelists, Miriam Toews. It comes out in early December. I hope it gets a good Atmos mix, too!

Last edited:
Sibelius, in performances both classic (Sir John Barbirolli):
and fresh (the young Finnish conductor Santtu-Matius Rouvali, as part of his ongoing Sibelius cycle):
Warner Classics tends to employ a "Medium-to-Large Ambiance" approach for the rears and heights, whereas Alpha Classics' approach is more aggressive. (Although--and I won't swear to this--it may just be a species of all-channel stereo. As much as I rail against that practice when WEA engages in it, though, I have to confess that for big orchestral works it can be effectively immersive.)

Apple Music categorizes this release as "Classical Crossover," probably because it's on the Deutsche Grammophon label. But ambient fans are gonna dig it: it's by Balmorhea (Rob Lowe & Michael A. Muller)--a "Deluxe Digital Edition" of their 2021 CD The Wind, with a fine Atmos mix by Nick Rives. Apologies if @PurpleMoustache also posted about this and I missed it!

Apple Music categorizes this release as "Classical Crossover," probably because it's on the Deutsche Grammophon label. But ambient fans are gonna dig it: it's by Balmorhea (Rob Lowe & Michael A. Muller)--a "Deluxe Digital Edition" of their 2021 CD The Wind, with a fine Atmos mix by Nick Rives. Apologies if @PurpleMoustache also posted about this and I missed it!
I think you’re the first! I’ll check it out. I think I remember seeing the (stereo) version of this recommended on Headphone Commute!

edit: for those curious: Headphone Commute | honest words on honest music

Site run by someone who claims to be a music industry insider, and is anonymous as a result. He (or she) highlights the best of the best in Ambient/Downtempo/Modern Classical, as well as interviews, restrospectives, and a regular DJ mix (delivered via podcast)

Last edited:
Hmm.. Haven't listened yet going to be hard to stay under 100K songs in Apple Library if all the live Dead starts coming out in Atmos ;-)

I was excited to see this appear on Friday. It’s my favorite Live Dead album. The fidelity on it was always good, but although I’ve now listened to it first on AirPod Pro’s, then 5.1 and 7.1 outside ( I still don’t know how I’m going to install ceiling speakers into the sky), the mix is stellar and has great vocal harmonies as with ‘American Beauty’ and ‘Workingman’s Dead.’ Were all live albums mixed as well as this! I assume Steven Wilson is responsible. If you don’t know the album well, its close to a studio release in that is has, at the time of release at my count, 8 original tracks, although I stand to be corrected. The weird thing is it sounded most spectacular on the AirPods, particularly the vocals. I hope the recent releases of the whole tour also appear on Atmos. Also keen to see more studio Atmos releases.

i only gave it one quick run-through as not feeling too well atm but struck me as not in the same league as the old 5.1 and tbh it smacked of Warner's fake upmix BS.. 🤔
I agree with all the sentiments here re. the Dire Straits compilation. An utter disappointment. Listened once and discarded. What a shame.

It's a bit better than the mixes for her other albums, but nothing special, to be honest.
I also liked the album, who would have imagined that I would end up listening to Taylor Swift... and liking it
Funny, I'm really into not just Taylor Swift, but also the Atmos mixes or her albums. They sound great on my system in 5.1, there's always something going on in every speaker and some of the quieter tunes (e.g. the acoustics on Red or the whole Evermore/Folklore duo) are hauntingly beautiful. I relish discovering all this brand new music in Atmos, 360 or whatever fancy word there is for surround now anyway, even after having been a collector for over 30 years. Even with that in mind, Taylor Swift has been coming out on top all the way. Great songwriter and musician.

Back