Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What region has the George albums? I have one in the UK and one in the US and don't see it. But my US one doesn't have an active subscription right now so I couldn't know for sure.
I could be wrong. I've been bouncing around to different countries on my VPN and can't find any other version of Cloud Nine.

Never heard of this guy until yesterday. Loving this album. Great mix too.
Been a Nils fan for a long time; I love his Hamada album, and earlier classics like Khmer and Solid Ether. Lots of textures. Anxious to hear this one later today. He also collaborates with Eivind Aarset (guitar) and those albums would be great ambiance/electronic Atmos candidates (Connected, etc.)

Police, Roxy Music, George Harrison, Rod Stewart and other fake or lazy mixes
Putting the Roxy Music in the same category as the Police, is a head scratcher to me for sure. I usually agree with your opinions, but this ain't one of them.

I could be wrong. I've been bouncing around to different countries on my VPN and can't find any other version of Cloud Nine.
Well from what I know, just moving around on a VPN won't do much, you have to sign up for an account in that VPN, and then the albums that show up will be dependent on the region associated with the account, not the one you're currently "in". Like I can access UK content like The Lumineers Atmos on Tidal without my VPN active on my UK account, but that stuff goes away if I sign out and sign into my old inactive account based in the states.

To each his own. I find that my listening to the Roxy Music GH in Atmos is a signfiicant downgrade from listening to those same tracks elsewhere (5.1 SACD, etc etc), and so I do not do it anymore. It's lazy and not worth my time. My $.02

To each his own. I find that my listening to the Roxy Music GH in Atmos is a signfiicant downgrade from listening to those same tracks elsewhere (5.1 SACD, etc etc), and so I do not do it anymore. It's lazy and not worth my time. My $.02
It sounds great here. Sorry to hear about your experience. We do agree on the Police. I will just listen to stereo on those.

Well from what I know, just moving around on a VPN won't do much, you have to sign up for an account in that VPN, and then the albums that show up will be dependent on the region associated with the account, not the one you're currently "in". Like I can access UK content like The Lumineers Atmos on Tidal without my VPN active on my UK account, but that stuff goes away if I sign out and sign into my old inactive account based in the states.
That makes sense. Their search engine is so weird. It is easy to miss something. I thought that the Roxy Music Best of wasn't available and then it was on the VPN, but I may have just missed it the first time around.

That makes sense. Their search engine is so weird. It is easy to miss something. I thought that the Roxy Music Best of wasn't available and then it was on the VPN, but I may have just missed it the first time around.
I had to wait until midnight here for it in the US. Other members here were already linking it well before.

I had to wait until midnight here for it in the US. Other members here were already linking it well before.

Yeah, other regions got it a day earlier than the US, that's why I got the UK subscription instead of renewing my US one, I was impatient :p
Pretty decent mix though, of course the tracks from the first album and Avalon are blown out of the water by their 5.1 counterparts, but for the rest of the songs it is very nice to have a mix of them.

Even the All Things Must Pass is now missing from Tidal...
I assume this is because of some kind of Atmos exclusivity deal with Apple by George's Estate. Nothing of George's in Atmos on Amazon as well, including ATMP now.

There are so many puzzling things about the Harrison mixes. You'd think that with 30-50 years there would be at least one little bit missing, a delay that was different, a different reverb, different vocal take, etc. I also haven't found a sound that only occurs in one speaker.
In trying to find that, I've been standing up on the couch like @beerking , but unlike him, I hear everything in the rear top speakers, always. It's like the instruments are huge objects.
Curious, I put in All Things Must Pass on Blu-ray atmos and played Behind That Locked Door. The lead vocal is in the rear speakers pretty loud, and is not in the rear top speakers.
Switch to the Apple atmos version and the lead vocals are in both the rear back and rear top speakers.
Did this change Friday or has it always been this way?
Similar thing, different example. Isn't It A Pity (version 2). On Bluray atmos in the very beginning there is Nicky Hopkins' piano in the rear left and rear top left, but not in the front left. In the Apple atmos version, it is in front left.
Is this what others are hearing? Have I gone crazy?
(I have a 5.1.2 setup)

Last edited:
This is a perfect example of how the search engine on Tidal is so stupid. I did a search for Skrillex and then listed the albums. If there is an Atmos album, there should be two different albums showing up. But there was only one. Then I did a search for the actual album and both copies came up. I don't have much hair left to pull out. :-(

There are so many puzzling things about the Harrison mixes. You'd think that with 30-50 years there would be at least one little bit missing, a delay that was different, a different reverb, different vocal take, etc. I also haven't found a sound that only occurs in one speaker.
In trying to find that, I've been standing up on the couch like @beerking , but unlike him, I hear everything in the rear top speakers, always. It's like the instruments are huge objects.
Curious, I put in All Things Must Pass on bluray and played Behind That Locked Door. The lead vocal is in the rear speakers pretty loud, and is not in the rear top speakers.
Switch to the atmos version and the lead vocals are in both the rear back and rear top speakers.
Similar thing, different example. Isn't It A Pity (version 2). On bluray in the very beginning there is Nicky Hopkins' piano in the rear left and rear top left, but not in the front left. In the Atmos version, it is in front left.
(I have a 5.1.2 setup)
The new mixes have invaded your Blu-Ray :devilish:

For real though, I always thought the Atmos for ATMP was a little iffy, and the new mixes actually remind me of it a lot, but I kinda doubt Paul Hicks had the time to mix the whole discography himself. Plus theres a few discrepancies in the mixing style, the center channel is way quieter on these, and has less overall (but also drums). Either way, the mixes are really spread out, with pretty much everything spread across multiple speakers, but not all. Really interested on getting confirmation on who did these, which we will likely see on George's 80th birthday when these will probably be formally announced and featured.
EDIT: Another interesting thing to note but I don't want to flood the thread because I've been posting a lot. The bonus tracks (on Cloud 9 at least) are definitely upmixes. Every channel features the same information, even the extended mix of 'I've Got My Mind Set On You.' Comparing it with the regular mix definitely shows it.

Last edited:
You are listening on a 4.0.4 system, correct? When I listen to individual speakers in my 7.1.4 system all speakers apart from the four ‘normal quad’ are extremely low volume and distorted audio.
Funny because that is why I don't like the Police Atmos. Individual channels all sound like reverb and such, rather than anything substantial.
I am not going to pick apart the Roxy Atmos mix so I can find a reason not to like it. I will let some other members do that. Meanwhile, I will simply sit back and enjoy it. There has never been a member here where I one hundred percent agree with every opinion, and I am fine with that. Cult mentality is truly evil.

Curious, I put in All Things Must Pass on bluray and played Behind That Locked Door. The lead vocal is in the rear speakers pretty loud, and is not in the rear top speakers.
Switch to the atmos version and the lead vocals are in both the rear back and rear top speakers.
Similar thing, different example. Isn't It A Pity (version 2). On bluray in the very beginning there is Nicky Hopkins' piano in the rear left and rear top left, but not in the front left. In the Atmos version, it is in front left.
(I have a 5.1.2 setup)
I'm listening to Behind that locked door now....2020 mix
Its still not right...rear heights get intermittent use only
Who has been messing with these mixes?
No you hav'nt gone crazy Ian, although I thought I was losing me marbles, as it gets very tiring flitting between my 7.1.4 speaker setup.

Right thats enough....I'll wait to this gets,hopefully,resolved.
It's doing my swede in.

Back