Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are so many puzzling things about the Harrison mixes. You'd think that with 30-50 years there would be at least one little bit missing, a delay that was different, a different reverb, different vocal take, etc. I also haven't found a sound that only occurs in one speaker.
In trying to find that, I've been standing up on the couch like @beerking , but unlike him, I hear everything in the rear top speakers, always. It's like the instruments are huge objects.
Curious, I put in All Things Must Pass on bluray and played Behind That Locked Door. The lead vocal is in the rear speakers pretty loud, and is not in the rear top speakers.
Switch to the atmos version and the lead vocals are in both the rear back and rear top speakers
Did this change Friday or has it always been this way?
Similar thing, different example. Isn't It A Pity (version 2). On bluray in the very beginning there is Nicky Hopkins' piano in the rear left and rear top left, but not in the front left. In the Atmos version, it is in front left.
Is this what others are hearing? Have I gone crazy?
(I have a 5.1.2 setup)
I am having trouble following this. You say you are listening to the Blu-ray and then you specifically make reference to the Atmos mix?

Unfortunately, I dont have the equipment to do that.
It's just these old lug holes, I'm afraid.
Getting a visual, and isolating the channel, or multiple channels in Audition is truly a game changer. It will definitely answer most of the questions you are asking.

@himey you are correct. I wasn't clear. I've edited the post.
I was comparing Blu-ray and Apple of ATMP. I'm getting different results. Not sure if:
A: they're now different mixes
B: The new Apple update has changed how it is presented - basically making objects bigger, or making things less discrete.
C: I'm crazy
D: I've got settings wrong
E: It's always been this way
To clarify. A couple seconds into the intro of Isn't It A Pity Version 2 there is piano in the rear left in both Blu-ray and Apple.
That same piano is also in the front left in the Apple version.
Not a huge thing of course, but why or how is it different?

ploughing through the George Harrison's this afternoon (as the actress said to the stagehand 😋 ) on a visceral level some of it felt more Surround-y (Wonderwall Music, the S/T album from 79, Electronic Sound) than the rest, a fair bit of which had that whiff of timid mix and others a case of the upmix about it.

some f'ckin' crackin' tunes though! 🥳 💘 Jeez Louise, i'd forgotten how bloody good some of his Solo stuff was! 😅😋 i played several albums all the way through and tbh pretty much forgot about the shitty Surround on more than one occasion i was enjoying the music so much 👀

I could'nt agree more.

Perhaps a fellow QQ'r would be so kind as to carry that out.
i'd ordinarily stick me hand up (Sam Fox's blouse 👀 ) and be first in line to volunteer for such jiggery japery 🙋🏻‍♀️ but you know what i can't be arsed with it anymore! 😂 i'm enjoying life so much i find i don't analyse stuff half as much as in ye olden golden days of rock n'roll 🎸 now i prefer to stop and smell the roses more than sniff out the Surround suspects ✌️🤩 🌹😤

9F9940AD-B923-4A91-8543-799E4464ADA2.jpeg

listening to now in Apple Music Lossy Atmossy, Orbital in the Round (and around and around) 👀😅🤩🥳✌️❤️

Gave this a spin yesterday. Pretty darn good mix. They’re planning a big 30th anniversary reissue campaign that’s been pushed back… a few years, due to the pandemic. The plans were for vinyl/cd reissues, but now that they caught the Atmos bug, here’s hoping their classics get mixes this good if not better!

Back