4x RCA to HDMI for Quadraphonic Record Player / Quad Demodulator to Use On HDMI Only System

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do not think this will work in standalone mode, and even if it did, you would still need an old enough computer to set it up. The people at MOTU are great and very responsive. I would ask the what the latest OS that is known to work with this is.
I have one of these Emotiva UMC-200 pre/pros, but no HDMI AVR to try it on. I believe @edisonbaggins may have the gear to try it out though.

Are we talking with ARC on this then?

Of course now, we're back getting into really expensive gear for what should be a simpler, less cost solution 🤷‍♂️

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/emotiva-umc-200-preampprocessor-specs

I sent them an email on this question and waiting to hear back, I am gladly throwing my money at this problem if they can sell me something I will gladly buy it. I see they added optical in, but not out! o_O Looks like it takes optical or stereo RCA in and converts it to MCH RCA out which my Onkyo can't use. It's a surround decoder, we need a surround encoder. I'm raising an eyebrow at taking apart two of those stereo RCA to HDMI converters to see if it's possible to wire up one to the other HDMI out... thinking on it... If there's such a device for stereo, I can't see why there is no such device for MCH. I have yet to see one.
Err Um

I did not see your email, could you please resend it to [email protected].
We do have an evaluation encoder module.....go to:
https://involveaudio.com/creators-makers/

The Moto HDExpress only has stereo analog input (two channel). Or am I missing something?

If there was a standalone device to create multichannel embedded audio output via HDMI sourced from multiple RCA analog inputs, by codec standards there would be a label on each analog input stating to which digital channel it is assigned.
Any device not so labeled could not be used without a DAW or in this case a video production suite, because (among other issues) how would you know which channel goes where?

One of the great things about this forum , the current original poster will find, is that there are knowledgeable discussions about things that one may not even have thought was a question.

The lack of multi channel inputs is a problem here at QQ. Unfortunately it is NOT a problem for the manufacturer's of retail consumer equipment because they don't care about Quad vinyl of any stripe, nor of people using Surround masters, nor even do they seem to care about people playing DVD-A and SACD and BD-A. (and preferring to use Oppos excellent D/A converters rather than the ones in receivers and processors).

You are not going to be able to go from four channel RCA (a format that was commercially obsolete in 1976 or so) into HDMI. If you want to play your quad LPs you will need to get something that has analog inputs. Like say a ten or fifteen year old Pre Processor. You could then get a two matching stereo amps and put those speakers on speaker selector switch boxes.

I note that you are in St. Louis and I have a SchMarantz AV7005 pre processor that is at the moment , not hooked up. I might be able to be lured into bringing it over.

Also if there was any chance of doing what you are trying to do, it is likely that someone here would have already tried it. However from time to time we have posts and inquiries and things we would like to do that just are not doable. I think your situation falls into that unfortunate category.

Last edited:
One of the great things about this forum , the current original poster will find, is that there are knowledgeable discussions about things that one may not even have thought was a question.

The lack of multi channel inputs is a problem here at QQ. Unfortunately it is NOT a problem for the manufacturer's of retail consumer equipment because they don't care about Quad vinyl of any stripe, nor of people using Surround masters, nor even do they seem to care about people playing DVD-A and SACD and BD-A. (and preferring to use Oppos excellent D/A converters rather than the ones in receivers and processors).

You are not going to be able to go from four channel RCA (a format that was commercially obsolete in 1976 or so) into HDMI. If you want to play your quad LPs you will need to get something that has analog inputs. Like say a ten or fifteen year old Pre Processor. You could then get a two matching stereo amps and put those speakers on speaker selector switch boxes.

I note that you are in St. Louis and I have a SchMarantz AV7005 pre processor that is at the moment , not hooked up. I might be able to be lured into bringing it over.

Also if there was any chance of doing what you are trying to do, it is likely that someone here would have already tried it. However from time to time we have posts and inquiries and things we would like to do that just are not doable. I think your situation falls into that unfortunate category.

I agree it's likely a lost cause with HDMI solutions costing hundreds of dollars... but I think I figured out a 30 dollar solution that works just as well to use the same speakers without having to unplug in and out everything. I found a switch box that strangely enough is a 4 channel one! Why would anyone need one of those lol? I'll have to run it backwards technically but this should be more of a direct wiring solution vs trying to hotwire an HDMI cable. I just hope it fits the 12 gauge wiring!
1677900348329.png

It ain't over till I get a little electrocuted!

Long story... I need to add to my profile all the hardware I've picked up in the last month to try to get play out some quad.
1. Started with a Panasonic SL-701 Automatic 4 Channel Quadraphonic Turntable CD-4 with built in demodulator.
2. Then a Panasonic RS-888S 4-CH All In One Stereo System which I mistakenly thought had a demodulator in it for the turntable, but it only has one built in for the 8 track player. My bad! I may not actually need this anymore so that's 200 bucks gone to the wind.
3. Lastly - last night - stumbled on a Lafayette LA-975 SQ demodulator with only a stereo amp but quad outputs. That led me to research that brand and from this forum found a 1973 474 page Lafayette catalog, see it here https://device.report/m/425e81ba46c1e0fd168ffffd06a6a6f1bcd16f3aec343bc51d3b165e5335fcb3
So I searched some of the SQ amps in that and found on page 9 the Lafayette LA-64 amplifier which is a full quad amp with SQ-L, they had cheaper units back then with SQ-M, and a few years later they came out with SQ-W which were regarded as competitors to Tate's, which people then say Involve Audio sweeps those out, but I couldn't find any of those for sale under 500+ and at that price I was thinking I would be better to sell off my Onkyo and buy a Marantz with the 7.1 CH inputs. So that's 3 new big devices, I'm just waiting for the amp to come in.

On this system I'm curious to hear if it's already doing a demodulation effect in comparison to an actual demodulator. I put on a quad record running through the Onkyo to the CD input, THX Music selected. I've only a few quad records and threw a Barbara Streisand on there, Black Sabbath is next to wash out the ears, but the vocals are in front and there is extra strings coming from the back! If the Onkyo does a better job than the Lafayette I'll report back. It's still in shipment. Check out the listening modes here Listening Mode Buttons And Selectable Listening Modes - Onkyo TX-NR7100 Instruction Manual [Page 169]
Dunno how the ATMOS decoder will do compared to the SM

And here

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230303-232040.png
    Screenshot_20230303-232040.png
    378.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20230303-232643.png
    Screenshot_20230303-232643.png
    270.3 KB · Views: 0
I bought a Surroundmaster, and use it to feed 2x stereo amps

It decodes matrix encoded material ( from records, for example ) as well as makes good sounding surround listening from a lot of other stereo recordings

I guess this doesn't help your HDMI isssue though!
I really only need to feed the same speakers from two audio sources. If I cannot plug one receiver into another I'm just going to make a switch, probably 10 bucks in parts from what I'm seeing, the box I put it in will likely cost the most lol. Encoding sounds pretty good with the Onkyo which is why I was hopeful to quad into it. Can't wait to see which is better sounding, it or the LA-64 Found an old thread where others are discovering the processing power of modern receivers like mine. Check it out. "new" way to decode SQ

Last edited:
Do you have the model number? The purpose of hdmi out for an AVR is to go to a monitor, not another AVR, so there is basically no case anyone here has heard of where the audio on that hdmi isn’t downmixed to stereo.
it was a 1st gen hdmi receiver it was 20 years or so ago so I do not remember the model and yes the purpose was to go to another monitor never said it was not but like I said I bet it could be tweaked to accomplish the task

The Moto HDExpress only has stereo analog input (two channel). Or am I missing something?

If there was a standalone device to create multichannel embedded audio output via HDMI sourced from multiple RCA analog inputs, by codec standards there would be a label on each analog input stating to which digital channel it is assigned.
Any device not so labeled could not be used without a DAW or in this case a video production suite, because (among other issues) how would you know which channel goes where?
I stand corrected. This won’t record MCH. It may very well be the highest quality HDMI > MCH RCA DAC out there for under $2k if anyone is looking.

Think I'm going to make a project out of this and build my own switch, I like the one in the screenshot but would feel better to modify it with the switches in this. Connecting 2 amplifiers to one set of speakers: making an amp/speakers selector switch | Audio-room
I’m sure you’re aware that this isn’t the first discussion of this problem. I brought up the same issue a few years ago, and the best solution I found at the time was to use a component video/stereo audio switch to select a MCH input for the MCH audio inputs of my Marantz pre-pro. The switch is passive, so it really doesn’t matter what sort of electronic signal it’s passing. But, of course, it requires at least one set of analog MCH audio inputs.

In my digging around upgrade possibilities, I checked Marantz’s latest Atmos pre-pros, and they have one that has a set of MCH analog inputs, but the price gave me a nosebleed.

I admit, I haven’t tried the HDMI outputs of my Marantz to see if they output the MCH analog audio inputs. Maybe the manual will tell me.

I think you would be better off buying the premade switch box. The article you linked to had a coda that said they managed to break the switch that they used. Of course you could find a bigger , higher current rated switch. Check WW Grainger and Graybar electric. Unfortunately Gateway Electronics is gone from St. Louis after 60 years in business. A victim of the pandemic and people not wanting to learn how to solder.

You got it. Plug 4 analog RCA cables from a DVD player (or any multichannel analog source) to 4 analog inputs (LF, RF, LR, RR) on a receiver, of the 7.1 input normally labeled DVD. Naturally. But Who's on first? What I want to do is not throw my Onkyo TX-NR7100 in the trash because I want to listen to quad channels of sound over it, as it only supports HDMI surround in. So without spending thousands on another new amp, why not pick up a 10 year old amp for under a hundred on the used market and use it as a passthrough to HDMI out? Well, as we see here, no one can say that has ever been successfully implemented. My goal is to not have to unplug my rear speakers to another amp everytime I want to use them in quad.
I bought an rca to hdmi cable to see if I could play the Akai CR-80D-SS through my Onkyo receiver and no sound came out. Didn’t work. Does that help?

Back