The case for 96 kHz (and 88.2) vs Lower Resolutions (44.1 and 48)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And I also fondly remember DBX and CX encoding......in those early days I was indeed a reckless consumer of ALL those outboard devices living on a miniscule budget and avidly supporting the audio/video industry by naively buying in to all their hype!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CX_(noise_reduction)
Please don’t tell me that you also bought into HD DVD and DIVX?! I remember seeing the HD DVD and Blu Ray disc displays side by side at the since defunct Circuit City stores. I stayed resolute in my decision not to buy until after HD DVD went south and Blu Ray was declared the winner; like you, I also lived through the days of Betamax vs VHS.

no pops and skips and warps. just hiss. And I love it. Ricky CR7A Nak. The 1980s master of the cassette mix tape
Who isn't 'pleasurably' guilty of making mix tapes ......... I made 12 dolby b rockabilly mix tapes once and transported them to a wild week end Napa Valley bash and the joint was rockin'..... and yes, I was KING for a day ...and a night! LOL!

Please don’t tell me that you also bought into HD DVD and DIVX?! I remember seeing the HD DVD and Blu Ray disc displays side by side at the since defunct Circuit City stores. I stayed resolute in my decision not to buy until after HD DVD went south and Blu Ray was declared the winner; like you, I also lived through the days of Betamax vs VHS.
GUILTY, as charged, Mr. E. I did buy into HD~DVD as I read it was 'initially' better than Blu Ray .... and yes, I also have a pretty sizable stack of HD~DVD discs which are taking up valuable space on a few shelves. But did NOT buy into DIVX ...I do have a certain amount of pride!

Thank God I didn't have to deal with a format war! By the time I could think Blu-ray had already won the battle!

Going way OT...my 1st DVD player was an RCA DIVX player, purchased on 1999-09-01 at the Circuit City next to Bannister Mall, closeout priced at $200.

IMHO, R&D for the compact cassette system (fairly good sound w/narrow tracks and slow tape speed + interchangeability of plastic shells) meant we got Beta & VHS a few years earlier than we would have without all the research into tape manufacturing, precise tape transports and precise plastic shells for the compact cassette system.

There's also the issue of Dither in PCM:
https://forum.audacityteam.org/t/noise-shaping/9973

Kirk Bayne

IMO, there was NOTHING more egregious than trying to turn the lowly cassette into a High Fidelity medium by literally lavishing millions of Research and Development dollars on perhaps one of the biggest hoaxes in hi fi history. Imagine trying to cram 2" masters recorded at 30 ips onto a thin strip of magnetic oxide tape travelling @ 1 7/8 ips?

I for one welcome 96/24 and 192/24 and thoroughly lament the fact that I did fall for that hoax by spending considerable amounts of [hard earned] money on a Nakamichi cassette recorder/player and oodles of Chromium dioxide tape and even pre~recorded cassette trash....which has sadly joined my 'graveyard' piles of VHS/BETA/HI 8 video tapes!

The future IS here, folks and rejoice in the advances we've made to ensure our hobby, most especially SURROUND SOUND is somewhat thriving and trashes all those ancient low grade tape based technologies.

May they rest in pieces and VIVA those 5" audio/video digital discs! 💿💿💿💿
To be fair it was amazing how a medium originally designed for low fi use such as dictation was turned into a real HiFi medium. The format evolved along with most of us "boomers". My first cassette was a mono portable unit.

I mainly taped AM radio on it. The tapes sounded as good as the radio. As I started buying records I also made tapes of them, more for portable use or dubs of friends records. I then thought that it would be nice to have stereo. I was happy with the quality at that time.

Better and better tapes started coming out, I prefered to use TDK SD (Super Dynamic) over the D version. I was "blown away" when I first tried a chrome tape. All the highes (and then some) were there.

All tapes were not created equal I saw the need for a three head machine to be able to monitor the actual recording while recording. That's when I got my Akai GXC machine. My favourite tape type was now "Ferri-Chrome". Also I had Dolby B for the first time. It was done right with the Akai in that you could adjust or calibrate the level for each tape. Dolby could dull the playback if not adjusted correctly. I remember people using it more for a treble boost (on for record, off for playback) rather than for real noise reduction!

Beyond that point I moved to reel to reel, to get better sound and quad. Still the cassette served a purpose, especially mobile and portable use until replaced by the CD. I however do not understand how pre-recorded cassettes were out selling vinyl before the CD was released. Those mass produced, high speed dubbed tapes just never sounded very good to me. People were too lazy to record their own tapes and didn't care about the sound quality. Still true today!

Last edited:
I bought into HD DVD after it died for that very reason. I purchased a player for less than $50 and a couple movie lots for next to nothing!

Best to wait, not to buy into the winning format but to pick up the losing one at bargain prices! That HD DVD player upscales regular DVD's as well! Sadly physical medium of all kinds is in danger of extinction these days!

I bought into HD DVD after it died for that very reason. I purchased a player for less than $50 and a couple movie lots for next to nothing!

Best to wait, not to buy into the winning format but to pick up the losing one at bargain prices! That HD DVD player upscales regular DVD's as well! Sadly physical medium of all kinds is in danger of extinction these days!
Good point! I bet it would be cool to have bought a second player as a backup.

And of course, *resolution* -- the smallest level difference a system can reproduce faithfully -- is essentially a function of *bit depth* e.g. 16 vs 24 , not sample rate. And noise level, of course.

But keep flailing away, 50+ year old audiophiles, for that magical reason you *MUST* have a 192kHz version.
I don’t know if I would self-identify as an “audiophile,” but I’m here in this forum, so Imsuppose there are those who would say that I am, compared to the general population that listens on earbuds. But I enjoy listening to music, and the better the recording, the better I like it. And as I’ve noted earlier in this thread, I’ve heard MP3s that sound good enough for my ears.

But no matter how many bits you throw at an “artist,” it won’t make Donald Fagin sound like Gary Puckett.

I'm 56, I can't hear above 15 kHz. This all seems unreal to me :)
I was 25 years old, working at Altec-Lansing, and we were messing around in the lab. I found that I could not hear 17kHz, although I could feel the pressure in my ears, it was so loud.

Back