New Magnetar Blu Ray player has analog outs. $2500

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never singled out Oppos...
Yes, you did. Need I remind you of your original post?

"Excellent point. One reason Oppos were so prized was their incredible tech support. UHD machines are very complicated- one reason Oppo left- and they've proven to all be problematic to some degree. Without a proven network of support you're really taking a $2500 gamble..."

You admitted that you "remember reading that UHD players were very complex and that was part of why Oppo got out of the business- but that could have been speculation, not fact". If it "could have been" just speculation about UHD players, why only cite Oppo as the specific brand for your opprobrium?

I feel I have substantiated my point, so I will consider the matter closed on my part.

I never singled out Oppos. I merely stated what I read that one reason that they got out of the manufacture of disc players is because UHD is so complex. The problematic nature of UHD I referred to is in regards to all players.
I guess anybody on the hunt for a 4K UHD player should ask themselves the following: -

"When was the last time a branded manufacturer (such as: Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, Philips) launched a new player"... Answer: Years ago!

Last edited:
Yes, you did. Need I remind you of your original post?

"Excellent point. One reason Oppos were so prized was their incredible tech support. UHD machines are very complicated- one reason Oppo left- and they've proven to all be problematic to some degree. Without a proven network of support you're really taking a $2500 gamble..."

You admitted that you "remember reading that UHD players were very complex and that was part of why Oppo got out of the business- but that could have been speculation, not fact". If it "could have been" just speculation about UHD players, why only cite Oppo as the specific brand for your opprobrium?

I feel I have substantiated my point, so I will consider the matter closed on my part.

Look at what you quoted: "and they've proven to all be problematic." I said all UHD machines have been proven to be problematic to some degree- how is that singling out Oppo?

But that would mean no room correction or EQ or bass management, correct? Most, if not all modern AVRs process analog inputs digitally, so to have a pure path regardless of funneling DSD to the Receiver or funneling analog inputs to the receiver you'd have to use whatever pure direct mode your specific receiver has.

There is only one type of acceptable room correction for discerning high resolution audiophiles.
A new room ;)

I'm on my 4th Oppo and would buy another one tomorrow if they were still making them. I was so pissed that they exited the market. I've never had a problem with mine but realise some others may have.

You might change your mind if you ever heard a good DRC system in your own room.
It's hard to ignore the improvements in the bass range when configured correctly
I don't mind correcting some issues, but never into anything digital because it truncates the bit depth, no way around that. I want purity in the digital domain. Remember when they used to say "but digital does not lose anything ever because it's digital" LOL!

I don't mind correcting some issues, but never into anything digital because it truncates the bit depth, no way around that. I want purity in the digital domain. Remember when they used to say "but digital does not lose anything ever because it's digital" LOL!
So you think you can hear differences in a 192 or 96k file resampled to 48k?

So you think you can hear differences in a 192 or 96k file resampled to 48k?
Not all of my playback is 192 or 96 to begin with. Isn't it presumptuous to assume we are always starting up with such high bit rates.

I wish I'd traded up from my 95 to a 205. But I had no requirement for UHD (still don't) or HDMI in (I could use that now) and I didn't know Oppo were exiting the market.
I was moving from coast to coast when the announcement was made, living in an apartment with no extra storage. With all that in my mind, I missed a big boat.

I don't understand exactly how I missed Oppo's exit from the US market and the demise of that great brand of players.
Started out with a couple of Samsungs, an Oppo DV-970HD, and then an Oppo BDP-80. (The BDP-80 never had it's firmware choked BTW and plays SACD-R).

But by the time I woke up and found out had happened I freaked out, started looking around at prices and said holy S!!!!
So I would up on EvilBay and bought a used 103 for way more than I should.

Not sorry I did, and it did get a lot of use for a while and I even jailbroke it.

Like you I started with a 970HD great little player, upgraded to a 95 and then when I read of Oppos demise got on a waiting list for the 205 and got one. The older two are in boxes keeping for back ups or another system.
The only Chinese made product I am happy to have.

Back